Matador Matador with Lockable Caster Wheels

Bmseay

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Matador
Has anybody tried putting lockable caster wheels on the Matador? For quick moves keeping the pan on the legs, so you can pick up the tank and just slide it where you need to go? Safety hazard or doable?

Last edited:
What other reasons other than a safety concern? If they are heavy duty lockable wheels you don't think that would mitigate most concerns? What are your other concerns?

I meant I'd have multiple safety concerns. A few off the top of my head:
  • people forget to lock wheels
  • wheels don't always stay locked
  • most casters don't allow an item to be leveled
  • I don't know how easily the Matador stand can be tipped over - but it doesn't look hard to do
  • you mention moving with the pan in place - if that happens with hot contents, you're inviting serious injury
I worked in restaurants for a while in my younger years. Those past experiences mean I can imagine all sorts of bad things happening with cooking equipment - even when standing still.

The Matador is pretty solid as far as tipping it over, and I don't think casters would really impact that much. It might make it more difficult to tip over... but that will be impacted on the ability to level it...

For people that would forget to lock the wheels, I think that would be a concern to anything with a locked wheel, but I get your point on that - I don't really use this to deep fry with lots of oil, so I'm not worried about oil, I use it to stir fry and fried rice style stuff...

When I mean move the grill with the pan, I don't mean while it's being cooked or on hot. The pan is pretty big by itself, and isn't that maneuverable together. It would be great to roll it in and out of a covered area to use and then lock it down in place so I don't have to remove the pan, set it down somewhere, setup the legs again, then set the pan up again. I always let my grills and outside cooking appliances fully cool down before I move them, so really it's just for convenience.

I was wondering about having something that could be leveled with the wheels, using the same threads that the current system uses, if that could be leveled too....

You are definitely giving me some more things to think about and try to account for, but I don't think it's enough to say it's a dead end yet...

I really appreciate your input and feedback. Do you have a Matador?

Last edited:
No, I don't own one. I like the idea of it but not in the plans currently.

Normal casters aren't really meant to use the threads for leveling. Even though some might do it with a nut to set the position, it's not a great idea. There are other types of casters that are made for that purpose.

Some might consider my caution as a little overboard. I'll just say it's earned from experience.

No, I don't own one. I like the idea of it but not in the plans currently.

Normal casters aren't really meant to use the threads for leveling. Even though some might do it with a nut to set the position, it's not a great idea. There are other types of casters that are made for that purpose.

Some might consider my caution as a little overboard. I'll just say it's earned from experience.

I really appreciate the feedback... Caution is always a better approach, rather than going in blindly.

As far as the leveling, the actual legs extend individually, not the actual support piece that touches the ground, so if you did it right, you could add the casters and still have the ability to level...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPBrew
Back