Matador on Sale $199

We bought our Matador last year when our over/range at the lake broke. Figured the matador would be a nice easy stand in while waiting on parts for the range, it was. We do stir fry meals a lot and like to do it outside instead of stinking up the inside. Breakfast works well on it, did Chicken piccata a few times, chili, etc. Its very versatile and like others have said, the wok/pan itself is high quality. I still think its a good deal even at $299.

Have to admit.. breakfast came out good the one time I did it but could only get like 3 pieces of bacon in the heat section at a time. Way too weak & too long to do anything substantial for even 2 people. The Blackstone runs circles around it. Why mine just sits now.

Have to admit.. breakfast came out good the one time I did it but could only get like 3 pieces of bacon in the heat section at a time. Way too weak & too long to do anything substantial for even 2 people. The Blackstone runs circles around it. Why mine just sits now.
Curious, what version of the Matador do you have? Because Ive heard stories of the previous version with the single fire ring being problematic.

No doubt the Blackstone is a great griddle. That new Loco griddle is pretty nice too

Curious, what version of the Matador do you have? Because Ive heard stories of the previous version with the single fire ring being problematic.

No doubt the Blackstone is a great griddle. That new Loco griddle is pretty nice too

It is the 2 burner unit. Got during the 2020 Black Friday deal. Still seems too small for the size of the bowl and only really heats up in the center.

It would be a nice unit if the flame was more even around the entire bowl and not just in the center.

It is the 2 burner unit. Got during the 2020 Black Friday deal. Still seems too small for the size of the bowl and only really heats up in the center.

It would be a nice unit if the flame was more even around the entire bowl and not just in the center.
Agree on all points. There is a video on the RecTeq social media where Jody is trying to fry chicken with the matador, in that big wok...was not going well for the BBQ Dad. Its great with the cast iron method. I guess its one of those things that either works for some and not for others.

I would have preferred that as well, as I like using it more as a Paella cooker than a wok cooker, as the wok cooker does concentrate the heat in the center. The Matador’s problem with trying to be a wok cooker is a) the sides are not sloped enough and b) the BTU output is way lower than the 150,000+ BTU output that you see with dedicated propane wok cookers. Here’s a picture of a device to help convert a home gas range to wok use, and if you have ever seen pictures of the kitchens of Chinese restaurants, the cooker looks like the tail end of a jet engine sticking up from the floor.

As I mentioned earlier, the Matador pan on the Bullseye overcomes the small burner limitation and one can get a 12” cast iron Dutch oven on the Matador plenty hot enough to deep fry chicken. Still not recteq’s best design, which is why I mentioned in my first post that it works ‘fairly well’.
EEC0C132-B985-48B3-9FB2-CDCBDA2B4D1E.jpeg

I would have preferred that as well, as I like using it more as a Paella cooker than a wok cooker, as the wok cooker does concentrate the heat in the center. The Matador’s problem with trying to be a wok cooker is a) the sides are not sloped enough and b) the BTU output is way lower than the 150,000+ BTU output that you see with dedicated propane wok cookers. Here’s a picture of a device to help convert a home gas range to wok use, and if you have ever seen pictures of the kitchens of Chinese restaurants, the cooker looks like the tail end of a jet engine sticking up from the floor.

As I mentioned earlier, the Matador pan on the Bullseye overcomes the small burner limitation and one can get a 12” cast iron Dutch oven on the Matador plenty hot enough to deep fry chicken. Still not recteq’s best design, which is why I mentioned in my first post that it works ‘fairly well’.
View attachment 15596

I guess that is good for those that have the Bullseye to accommodate the pan (I don't). For the most part as a stand alone unit it is limited as is. I don't have a cast iron pan that would fit on it and don't want to purchase one to work with it just for that purpose.

I don't hate on it. One of those things like if they actually used or tested the product with some users before launch I think these shortcomings would have been noted and adjustments made, IDK.

Those looking to purchase it asking should know the reality of what it is so expectations are inline with what it really does.

Those looking to purchase it asking should know the reality of what it is so expectations are inline with what it really does.

I guess that is good for those that have the Bullseye to accommodate the pan…
I couldn’t agree more about reality and expectations. I had no hesitation recommending the $199 Matador in this situation as the OP does have a Bullseye, and the pan is a good accessory at that price for the Bullseye even if he doesn’t use the Matador burner.

I’m looking for a matador without the burner. In fact, I’m only looking for the pan and lid.

I’m looking for a matador without the burner. In fact, I’m only looking for the pan and lid.

Where r u located and what is your price range? I have a complete unit only used 2-3 times but not interested in shipping or parting out.

I don’t own a Matador but a friend does. Like everything, it has limitations. I decided to punt and picked up a Blackstone Tailgater. It offers easy portability and can be configured many different ways. If you change out the regulator you can hit 750F in 10 minutes.

9F1C8B24-965C-4C34-A8F5-B70BBBC13537.png

3BDFF2F0-BCEE-464A-A723-C5330B8E9F9C.jpeg

16ACDCED-AE7D-4769-A858-8B6A05E1C92C.jpeg

B69FFFA6-D17F-4354-A1A7-6B82A734F2E9.jpeg

3E0231A1-1BE4-48F8-9EE2-842A3525E8E4.jpeg

F7E83DE7-E4C0-46AD-A0A9-5DD935B8180B.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back