Bull Malcom Reed - Pulled Pork on a Pellet Grill

whta

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So I received his email, and he's talking about slow smoking overnight a Pork Butt. No big news thee, or how he does it - smokes at 200 for 8 hours, then ramps up to 220 until it probes tender, with an internal temp around 190.

His words, not mine - "If you follow this method the bone will come out clean, there will be little to no fat to remove from the butt and the bark will be some of the best you’ve ever tried". Here is a link to his post - https://howtobbqright.com/2021/03/1...et-grill/?mc_cid=6c432c43a2&mc_eid=7710b09a3a

Now, I have only done 3 or 4 on the bull, however, none have come out with what I would call fantastic bark. Full disclaimer, I wrapped all of those on the Bull so far, so I haven't tried this method yet.

For you folks that have a more traditional smoker as well as the Bull, have you done it this way, was it really good?

Just skip wrapping and see if that bark is what you re after. I don’t wrap butts, if anything the bark is too tough. I don’t recall much difference in the bark between a charcoal smoker and the RT when not wrapped, big difference in the flavors though.

My very first Recteq cook was a pork butt cooked overnight as I decided to be fearless and see what happened. I've since done many of them with variations of rubs, injections, marinades, etc. I've only wrapped one once and I can't say it was worth getting up in the middle of the night to wrap. Every pork butt I've ever cooked has had the bone slide right out clean.

I, too, am willing to sacrifice bark for moisture, especially with brisket. I just don’t like dry meat at all. I am even switching back to aluminum foil from the pink butcher paper smothered in tallow because I feel the foil keeps things more moist.

As far as wrapping in the middle of the night… Lately, I have been putting butts and brisket on at 10 or 11 at night at 180. I find I can wait untill I get up in the morning before needing to wrap. I don’t always catch it at the beginning of the stall, but it still works out fine. When I get up in the middle of the night for “old man syndrome” I check the temps via the apps. Sometimes I bump them up if things appear to be progressing too slowly.

I never wrap, have smoked more butts than I can count/remember......have never had one not be insanely juicy. It's 225 for me the entire cook, only smoke for about 6 hours then finish in oven. A long rest is key, once hits 195 I wrap/rest for a minimum of 4 hours.

I never wrap, have smoked more butts than I can count/remember......have never had one not be insanely juicy. It's 225 for me the entire cook, only smoke for about 6 hours then finish in oven. A long rest is key, once hits 195 I wrap/rest for a minimum of 4 hours.
wrap in foil, or paper? Oh, and any injections?

I, too, am willing to sacrifice bark for moisture, especially with brisket. I just don’t like dry meat at all. I am even switching back to aluminum foil from the pink butcher paper smothered in tallow because I feel the foil keeps things more moist.

As far as wrapping in the middle of the night… Lately, I have been putting butts and brisket on at 10 or 11 at night at 180. I find I can wait untill I get up in the morning before needing to wrap. I don’t always catch it at the beginning of the stall, but it still works out fine. When I get up in the middle of the night for “old man syndrome” I check the temps via the apps. Sometimes I bump them up if things appear to be progressing too slowly.
O (ld)
G (uy)
P (ee)
B (reak)

:ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back