Stampede Louisiana Grills winter mod

pungo

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I got the Louisiana Grills LG 900 Insulated Blanket for my RT-590. There are 3 magnets long the front bottom edge which holds on well to the cook box. Simply release the magnets to open the hood. There are 2 straps with snaps on the bottom back corners, but they didn't work with my comp cart (probaby will work without the comp cart). I pull the straps toward the front and attached them some large magnets and it holds good. There's a velco opening to allow it ti be easily placed it over the horns. Takes less then a minute to install or remove. Overall, the fit is pretty good, almost as if it was made for it. The material seems very durable and it's pretty thick. I do have a gasket on the lid, otherwise the blanket would get pretty stained.

Just need to source some all weather vents to get the smoke away from blanket.

IMG_3401.JPG
IMG_3402.JPG
IMG_3403.JPG
IMG_3404.JPG
IMG_3405.JPG
IMG_3406.JPG

I got the Louisiana Grills LG 900 Insulated Blanket for my RT-590. There are 3 magnets long the front bottom edge which holds on well to the cook box. Simply release the magnets to open the hood. There are 2 straps with snaps on the bottom back corners, but they didn't work with my comp cart (probaby will work without the comp cart). I pull the straps toward the front and attached them some large magnets and it holds good. There's a velco opening to allow it ti be easily placed it over the horns. Takes less then a minute to install or remove. Overall, the fit is pretty good, almost as if it was made for it. The material seems very durable and it's pretty thick. I do have a gasket on the lid, otherwise the blanket would get pretty stained.

Just need to source some all weather vents to get the smoke away from blanket.

View attachment 9862View attachment 9863View attachment 9864View attachment 9865View attachment 9866View attachment 9867
This looks great- thanks for sharing! Can you explain what you experienced in the cold that prompted you to insulate?

This looks great- thanks for sharing! Can you explain what you experienced in the cold that prompted you to insulate?
His location would be the prime indicator. Little insulation = less pellet consumption, steadier temps, quicker temp recovery.
I insulate in ND weather also.

@pungo , thanks for info.
Where were you able to purchase? Looks like out of stock.

Last edited:
Where were you able to purchase? Looks like out of stock.
I got it directly from Louisiana Grill last winter. When I was looking many other places sold them, though they had the lowest price.
During colder weather, especially with gusty winds, it burned a lot more pellets and temps would fluctuate when a big gust of sustained wind would hit it, then the winds went calm (I verfied the temps with sensitive test equipment using thermocouplers, the recteq app buffers temp swings). The Grill is on my deck, 12 feet off the ground and not well protected from winter winds. Think about how inefficient the heater in your house would be if your house wasn't insulation :unsure:

Will the grill cook fine without it, sure, but I noticed my pellet consumption went way up once winter hit, so I got the blanket. Many grills have a double wall hood for insulation, I know my my weber summit does.

Thanks for posting the info on the blanket, looks like they are out of stock right now. But I am considering buying one once they are back in stock.

If you are interested Dave's Ohio BBQ posted a good video comparing blanket and no blanket!

Best Greg

Thanks for posting the info on the blanket, looks like they are out of stock right now. But I am considering buying one once they are back in stock.

If you are interested Dave's Ohio BBQ posted a good video comparing blanket and no blanket!

Best Greg
Great video, thanks for sharing it. I noticed similar results with both reduced pellet consumption and better results when cooking. Cold plus wind is the worst on these grill. The cookbox shell is very thin and looses heat quickly so the blanket reduces the heat loss. Also, I leave a lot of ash in the bottom of the cookbox for insulation, though I keep the firepot clean for better pellet burning.

Pungo -

What kind of grill temps have you used the blanket? Do you keep it on year round? I believe the instructions for the RT-700 blanket say to not use when cooking at temps above 250 or 300. I’m guessing RT makes that suggestion fo protect the lid paint.

Another option is a welders blanket for about $30. I got the felt style and out holes for the horns and back vents

Harbor Freight used to be a deal with the 20% off coupons, not sure about now??

Pungo -

What kind of grill temps have you used the blanket? Do you keep it on year round? I believe the instructions for the RT-700 blanket say to not use when cooking at temps above 250 or 300. I’m guessing RT makes that suggestion fo protect the lid paint.
I use the blanket for low and slow only. The blanket takes less than a minute to put on or take off so I only put it on for cold temps and long low cooks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back