Bull Leaving the RT-700 outside.

Infantryman

Military Veteran
I'm just wondering how many folks here leave their grills outside all year round using only the grill cover for protection from the elements? I'd like to know if I can get away with that or if I have to move it in and out of my garage every time I want to cook (often). Thanks!

Last edited:
My RT700 Bull with smokebox sits outside naked in Connecticut although it's under a small covered porch it's happy and ready for use from anywhere in the world using the RecTec app. I have a cover that came with RecTec's package when ordered and I have never used it and it's still in the original box.

Last edited:
I have a 680 that has spent four years outside in the elements. I am in NJ so get rain, snow, hot humid, wind, you name it. I got lazy and the pit does not get it's cover anymore. They are built to be outside and do well there.

Mine stays outside, on the patio, with a cover 100% of the time. No issues whatsoever.

Mine stays outside, on the patio, with a cover 100% of the time. No issues whatsoever.
I'm just wondering how many folks here leave their grills outside all year round using only the grill cover for protection from the elements? I'd like to know if I can get away with that or if I have to move it in and out of my garage every time I want to cook (often). Thanks!
I have a cover and put it on every so often. I’m guessing I’ll put in on more in the winter. Now I like
To be able to just start the smoker from my phone, in the house. ??

Awesome! Thanks for the helpful tips, that's exactly what I needed to know and why I joined this forum!

outside... out in the elements... and only use the cover occasionally. Did buy a new cover and zipper per the other thread and will get it put in when this stay at home thing finally ends. But for the most part, mine just sits outside (2+ years) and i see no rust.

My RT700 Bull with smokebox sits outside naked in Connecticut although it's under a small covered porch it's happy and ready for use from anywhere in the world using the RecTec app. I have a cover that came with RecTec's package when ordered and I have never used it and it's still in the original box.
Would you be interested in selling that cover? I have a bull on the way and didn't order a cover and now I regret it. I have an oak that drops a lot of stuff and I'd like to keep her clean. You can reach me at [email protected] or 314-775-8049. Mine shows up Tuesday. Man, I'm excited!

I have had my Bull for almost a year now and it is outside with a cover and it still looks brand new!

I’ve had my 680 on my deck with no roof for 5 years or so using the grill cover. The cover is not water proof and I have rust forming on the left side and on the edges of the lid. The over all condition is still very good. Water does not pose a problem with the pellets at all. I leave them in the hopper. Before I’m blasted about the pellets I’m in Alabama so no the humidity is not a problem.

My 680 was outside in south Florida for the better part of 4 years under our eaves. Rusted like crazy and eventually the controller gave out and it wouldn't even start. Thankfully Rec Tec was great about replacing the controller and some other parts that had become flakey under warranty. I spent the better part of a week using paint remover, getting it sandbasted, sanding, and re-painting to get it back to a semblance of its former glory. It will never go back out in the elements again. The baked on enamel is great but once moisture starts forming underneath it's toast.

Attachments

• IMG_2791.jpg
    IMG_2791.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 160
I covered mine in the the winter with the rec tec cover, Dec, Jan and Feb and it's under a gazebo the ring is getting rusty. other then that no problem. Long Island NY

I covered mine in the the winter with the rec tec cover, Dec, Jan and Feb and it's under a gazebo the ring is getting rusty. other then that no problem. Long Island NY

My ring got rusty too...I was quite surprised since it's stainless steel, well at least it's not magnetic. Other stainless parts like screws and the horns and the logo are just fine.

I’ve had my 680 on my deck with no roof for 5 years or so using the grill cover. The cover is not water proof and I have rust forming on the left side and on the edges of the lid. The over all condition is still very good. Water does not pose a problem with the pellets at all. I leave them in the hopper. Before I’m blasted about the pellets I’m in Alabama so no the humidity is not a problem.
I am in the PNW and it rains every day, never had a problem leaving the pellets in the hopper.

Orlando - My 700 is in the garage (where I want it) roll it out and cook in the drive way (our drives are behind the house in our neighborhood). Purchased a cover and never used it, have decided it's not needed.

Anyone want to buy a brand new cover (never used but not in factory box)?

What about those in a salt water environment. I’m on the Texas coast 7 months out of the year. Bought a cheap offset smoker with the thought that if I could 3-4 years, I’d be happy. We’re now at year 4 so I’m thinking about investing in a rectec. Don’t want to do that in four years. Any thoughts?

outside year round with the cover is all I do. sometime I have to dig it out of the snow for a winter cook. works every time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back