Bullseye Knocking noise

Zackj1993

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Getting a knocking noise in my auger and smoke coming back through hopper. Do I have a clog? Pellets seem to catch fire in the auger. After I mess around with it I seem to get it back to normal. I vacuum out ash every few cooks

What are the pellets being used ?
Bear mountain. But before I used 40lbs or pit boss pellets and on the last cook I used those is when it started. But nit till the end of that bag. I went through 40lbs with no issues until the last cook. And still had some left over before I changed brands. I took out those before I used the new brand though.

Did you dump the remainder of the bag into the hopper without checking for sawdust? You may have had a bunch of sawdust in the bottom of the bag that went into the hopper as well. If the sawdust gets even a little damp, it can set up like concrete. And, IME, it can also smolder back into the tube and create a blockage.

I’d empty the hopper of pellets and get a look at the auger and tube.

I would also empty the hopper as recommended by Jim6820. During your analysis, you may find a stone/pebble, cluster of fused pellets, or other debris. If you find any hardware (washer, nut, bolt) save it just in case it belongs to your auger assembly and explore/look for the source.

Last edited:
I have a Bullseye and use PitBoss almost exclusively. I do keep my pellets dry in storage and my grill is always covered when not in use and under patio. Never had that problem but I’ve read a few threads where some do.

Check the vents at the back of the grill. If they plug, you will get smoke our of the hopper.

Mine was making a knocking noise that sounded like the auger but no hopper smoke. My wife cooked on it the next time before I had time to clean it out. It kept knocking through that whole cook but has stopped now. I figured a pellet stuck or something.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back