Knives

Jim6820

Crazy Ol’ Basque
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Fell off the Wusthof wagon; again. Found a “new, open box” Classic 7” Hollow Edge Craftsman knife like this…

https://www.wusthof.com/products/wu...b87QDXxtKmXhO15BNjhoCXUMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

…for just over half new price that I couldn’t resist. It arrived today and the size, weight and feel are PERFECT for an all-purpose kitchen knife. I love the clipped point and deep belly shape. I may have to put my 8” Classic Chef’s Knife into semi-retirement. And, like all Wustofs, it arrived wickedly sharp.

I confess, I am a knifeaholic! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have one of those, purchased 3 years ago. They called it the 7” Hollow Edged Craftsman at the time. I paid $140 for mine. Nice score!
Yep, that’s still the full name. New, they are $170 now and are rarely discounted. The one I picked up was $89 with free shipping. Just couldn’t resist.

Last edited:
IMG_0464.jpeg

LA! LA! LA! LA! LA! LA! LA! LA! LA! LA! LA! LA!

I knew better than to look at this thread🤣 The subject line alone said “You will spend money, Don’t look!” Nice find @Jim6820!

What I like about quality knives is that they are a joy to work with and, with proper care, last a long time. Many of the knives in my photo are 25-30 years old.

Mostly Wusthof in the collection, but if you look closely, there are a couple of 35-40 year-old Zwilling/Henckels in the mix (from my pre-Wusthof days). Several of the Wusthofs are from the time when the Classic series came with red trident stickers on the handle which eventually wore off.

Old knives for an old guy!

Last edited:
This is my everyday knife. Literally, multiple times everyday this knife is in my hand. It’s a Wusthof Ironwood Ikon Santoku 5”. I also have the 7”. version, but this is my favorite. There are other knives I use on a regular basis, but if I haven’t used this one it’s because I’m confined to a bed! I have more knives, kitchen or otherwise, than I need but I second what @Jim6820 said-a quality, sharp knife in the kitchen is the best investment you can make in your culinary purists.
IMG_1987.jpeg

This is my everyday knife. Literally, multiple times everyday this knife is in my hand. It’s a Wusthof Ironwood Ikon Santoku 5”. I also have the 7”. version, but this is my favorite. There are other knives I use on a regular basis, but if I haven’t used this one it’s because I’m confined to a bed! I have more knives, kitchen or otherwise, than I need but I second what @Jim6820 said-a quality, sharp knife in the kitchen is the best investment you can make in your culinary purists.
View attachment 20559
Darn, @Greg Jones, I’ve been eyeing that nice 5” Santoku too. Is this payback for my Wusthof posts? 🤣

I think it might have to wait, however; it was hard enough getting the recently-acquired Wusthof Classic 7“ Hollow Edge Craftsman in the door without losing my head to that big 10” Chef’s knife in the hands of SWMBO. ;)

I bought these 39 years ago when I was working in Germany.
Plus a few others I gave to my daughter.
The exchange rate was 5 to 1 in our favor.
They are all still in the knife block in the kitchen ready for use.
All are razor sharp.
I have a Wicked Edge Setup I use to sharpen them

Knife Henckels.jpg

My son is stationed in Germany now, somewhat near the French border. I keep hoping he will send me something-a Staub, Le Creuset, Wusthof, anything while he is there! I suppose he thinks I’ll buy what I want when we visit him!

So I've avoided this thread like the plague. I've already purchased two more Wusthof knives due to "peer pressure" (ok, knife lust) since reading @Jim6820 's tales. My knife block is officially full (I had to make room for Jim's last suggestion).

Moving forward, I stated in another thread that I suck at sharpening knives and resorted to paying a mobile knife sharpener to stop by a couple times a year for tune ups. I've tried various gadgets like the diamond stones previously mentioned, but my patience and dexterity are not good enough to get razor sharp.

So I see the latest Internet fad of the Tumbler, Horl, etc. gadgets. They sort of address my challenges of keeping my angles pure, but as they are Internet hype, has anyone tried the latest gadgets and and speak to if they are actually worth looking into?

So I've avoided this thread like the plague. I've already purchased two more Wusthof knives due to "peer pressure" (ok, knife lust) since reading @Jim6820 's tales. My knife block is officially full (I had to make room for Jim's last suggestion).

Moving forward, I stated in another thread that I suck at sharpening knives and resorted to paying a mobile knife sharpener to stop by a couple times a year for tune ups. I've tried various gadgets like the diamond stones previously mentioned, but my patience and dexterity are not good enough to get razor sharp.

So I see the latest Internet fad of the Tumbler, Horl, etc. gadgets. They sort of address my challenges of keeping my angles pure, but as they are Internet hype, has anyone tried the latest gadgets and and speak to if they are actually worth looking into?
I have never used either one, but I did look at the promotional videos and can see how they might, at least, get the angle right. In looking them over, the big question for me is the diamond sharpening surface. How long will it last, what grit is it, etc. And, the cost is pretty close to what it would cost for a good, 10" DMT dual-side bench stone.

Given what I could find out about the actual components (not much), I think your current outsourcing to a professional knife sharpener guy is still your best option. I don't see anything magic about the Horl or Tumbler units and neither would seem to offer different grit sharpening surfaces to shape and polish an edge.

Now, this advice comes from a guy who got into trouble just this evening for "making the knives too sharp" after SWMBO cut her finger using one of MY Wustofs instead of her own mongrel prep knife that wouldn't cut a tomato. :rolleyes:

Yeah I have the DMT diamond stones, but I'm apparently too uncoordinated or impatient to maintain proper angles reliably, particularly on larger knives. I totally get the issue on the grit on these gadgets.

Oh and yes, my wife has a very old Cutco knife she swears by as she cuts things directly on the countertop and tosses it into the dishwasher.

Yeah I have the DMT diamond stones, but I'm apparently too uncoordinated or impatient to maintain proper angles reliably, particularly on larger knives. I totally get the issue on the grit on these gadgets.

Oh and yes, my wife has a very old Cutco knife she swears by as she cuts things directly on the countertop and tosses it into the dishwasher.
“Patience” is the key, Grasshopper! Sharpness comes to those who wait patiently upon it. 😉

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back