Knives

Kinda funny - I have this horrendous "almost free" knife from one of those doorbuster type sales. Maybe I have $3 in the thing - boy can it hold an edge. Yes - I have Wusthof, going on 20-something years, Other random brands as well, but that $3 knife - first thing that's gonna go is the handle, because it's only $3 and not worth a hand-wash, it goes into the dishwasher.

I have never used either one, but I did look at the promotional videos and can see how they might, at least, get the angle right. In looking them over, the big question for me is the diamond sharpening surface. How long will it last, what grit is it, etc. And, the cost is pretty close to what it would cost for a good, 10" DMT dual-side bench stone.

Given what I could find out about the actual components (not much), I think your current outsourcing to a professional knife sharpener guy is still your best option. I don't see anything magic about the Horl or Tumbler units and neither would seem to offer different grit sharpening surfaces to shape and polish an edge.

Now, this advice comes from a guy who got into trouble just this evening for "making the knives too sharp" after SWMBO cut her finger using one of MY Wustofs instead of her own mongrel prep knife that wouldn't cut a tomato. :rolleyes:
Sooooo...............You've been told "This knife is too sharp" too, then ? :unsure: :rolleyes::eek:

Was up at the old house for a few days, cleaning out some stuff and rediscovered my father-in-laws 1940s Sta-Sharp “Western Made” carbon steel chef knife. I believe Sta-Sharp was a top brand at the time and was sold through Sears.

It still retains an amazingly sharp edge. There are a few stains on the blade as can be expected on a carbon-steel knife, but overall it is in great shape, though it will need the tip to be slightly reconfigured to bring it back to original configuration. As sharp as it is, this knife is definitely not a “toy.” :rolleyes:

It will join the Wusthof gang at the new house.

IMG_2503.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavro85
Back