Bull I might cry!

MeatMeister

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
The excitement is intoxicating. I’m a bit emotional and the wife and kids certainly seem to be thrown off a tad. It’s ok they don’t have to understand. They, too, will be falling in love shortly. The only question I’ll be hearing from them is “why didn’t you buy one of these a long time ago?”
Anyway... a couple mor question for you guys since you have been SO helpful....

Do you load your hopper up or just put enough for that day’s cook?

did you line your hopper with the high temp felt and if so, for what reason?

any tips for an easy assembly?

Has anyone purchased a flat griddle for their matador? What about replacing the burner?

thanks so much for all of your help guys. The dedication and appreciation of this forum is a big part of the reason I joint the RecTecGang

Attachments

• F4AE4D41-F8B3-4D04-86F9-9E416B07F2B8.jpeg
    F4AE4D41-F8B3-4D04-86F9-9E416B07F2B8.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 106
Do you load your hopper up or just put enough for that day’s cook?
For the RT-700, I usually just put in a full bag when it can hold it.
did you line your hopper with the high temp felt and if so, for what reason?
I did, but more so because I had extra from doing the lid and I figured it couldn’t hurt. I’ve never had a problem with damp pellets, so perhaps it has helped.
any tips for an easy assembly?
I assembled my RT-700 by myself, but it would have been nice to have had some help.
Has anyone purchased a flat griddle for their matador? What about replacing the burner?
My suggestion would be to get a 17” Lodge cast iron skillet instead. It’s the same or cheaper price than the round griddle, and much more useful. I have the recteq griddle and would give it away if anyone wants to pick it up as I won’t ship. No takers yet. I’ve thought about replacing the burner, but I’ll confess that my head spins when I research what’s available.

I have a 700. Have not sealed anything. It works flawlessly for two years now. I fill the hopper but I keep it in my garage and therefore always dry.
I had a buddy help assemble my 700. No way I could have done it myself. With his help it took just over a hour with the competition cart.
You’re going to love it. Welcome to the club.

Assemble it, pour in a full bag of pellets, and do the burn-in. You can assemble it solo, but a second person is helpful. Watch the assembly video first. Download the manual and read it ahead of time (had assembly info too). Don't throw out the piece of paper with Ray's number. Have fun!

I've had my 700 for just under 2 mo. and so far, I've smoked large butterfly pork chops, several racks of ribs, a brisket flat, chicken breasts, salmon, and burgers. Just today, I smoked two nice sized tri-tip steaks (using Jess Pryles recipe) and some candied bacon twists. I could not be more happy with the outcome of all my cooks and I'm a novice at smoking. You have every reason to be excited about your RecTeq grill. Don't be afraid to experiment with pellets. I chose Lumberjack pellets and tried several before I narrowed it down to their Competition Blend pellets. I may try B&B Post Oak pellets in the near future. I'm just a rookie and my 700 makes me look like I know what I'm doing. Load the bin with pellets, cook and have fun.

Ahh yes.. the addiction seems to be settling in nicely already. Soon not only you but the entire family will be under the control of the Bull. Wait it will come.. the wife will hand over all cooking control in just a few short meals. It WILL happen. Just accept it as a new norm and don't fight it. One thing I learned from much smarter folks here than I is to ensure anything the wife does to support dinner to compliment it to death. This will ease handing over the reigns but the comments will ensue regardless. It just becomes less demanding since all take part in meals.

I too would be interested in a Matador burner mod.

You have some good suggestions above on your previous questions.

Sit back, enjoy and feed the addiction 😁

Oh.. & post more pics of cooks. It helps us that are trying to get addiction help already but sometimes does the opposite.

Assemble it, pour in a full bag of pellets, and do the burn-in. You can assemble it solo, but a second person is helpful. Watch the assembly video first. Download the manual and read it ahead of time (had assembly info too). Don't throw out the piece of paper with Ray's number. Have fun!
Video really helps!!

Don't forget the beer 🍺

I assembled my Rt-700 by myself wasn't too bad at all, if somebody was around the extra would be nice for a few steps.

I fill up the hopper to the top, but I keep mine in the garage and not outdoors.

I have not done any mods and don't think I will need to, it cooks that good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back