I Fell victim to the "Classic" blunder

Could be...I was relying on the probes before I got my Thermapen. Two days ago I smoked a tri tip with probe b. The temp from the probe stayed close to what the thermapen would read till the end....about the time I was going to start a reverse sear, probe had been at 117 for a while....now the pen read over 136 ??? Would have been well done if I didn't have the 'pen

Time to check your probes in hot and cold water. You can check it against your Thermapen if you don't want to go to the trouble of boiling water and making a ice bath.

Just an observation, I washed my probes for either the RT or the Thermaworks Smoke and got the connector wet. It was way off until the moisture "cooked out" of it. If you did wash them, maybe heating the oven to 200F and leaving them in there for a couple hours will dry them out.

With all due respect, you may benefit from a search on resting cooked meat and holding cooked meat. That, or by my own admission perhaps I am wrong. But in my feeble mind resting meat stops the cooking process and then holding the meat should keep it at a safe temp for x hours. Resting should always precede holding. During occasions when my meat finishes early I will remove it from the cooker and if it is wrapped I will open the wrapping and let it rest on the countertop for x minutes loosely tented (in order to stop the cooking process) and then wrap and place in a cooler to hold for a span of time (to keep it warm until serving time).

I will add this: you are on the right track; it is better to finish early and employ a little effort to hold it until serving time rather than finish hours beyond when folks intend to eat!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back