Stampede How to calibrate temperature on my R590?

GrillRookie

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I looked for videos but couldn’t find any. What I want to achieve is to be able to maintain a low temp/high smoke level for an extended period of time. Thanks to any one who can help.

I looked for videos but couldn’t find any. What I want to achieve is to be able to maintain a low temp/high smoke level for an extended period of time. Thanks to any one who can help.
By what you've written, I'm not sure I understand your problem?
Won't the temp go low enough, what exact temp do you want?
or when set low, it's not stable and the temp fluctuates too much?

By what you've written, I'm not sure I understand your problem?
Won't the temp go low enough, what exact temp do you want?
or when set low, it's not stable and the temp fluctuates too much?
So, when I am smoking something that requires a high temp near the end of cooking, but I want to get that smoke taste, I use two stages. First I set the temp at LO, which is the lowest I can go on the controller (not sure what that’s suppose to be, maybe 70 degree), but the temp keeps progressing past 150 degrees instead of being regulated to remain at the inputted LO temp. It’s seems to be not just a matter of resetting what the LO temp is, but also keeping it there.

What temp are you getting when you set it for low? As @Chris_G mentioned, low will be ~180. Low will give you the most smoke, if that's still not enough, try adding a smoke tube. Not sure what you're trying to do with 70, that's more like cold smoking for something like cheese :unsure:

What temp are you getting when you set it for low? As @Chris_G mentioned, low will be ~180. Low will give you the most smoke, if that's still not enough, try adding a smoke tube. Not sure what you're trying to do with 70, that's more like cold smoking for something like cheese :unsure:

I said 70 because someone who has a recteq told me that that was the installed LO temp. But, I get temps above 180 even when I keep it at LO. So, if 180 is ideal smoke temp, I guess I need to know how I can get the LO temp to stay at 180. Thanks for sticking iwth me on this one. Maybe I should test it again and confirm that the issue continues. I’ll try to do that later today or tomorrow and post the results.

Yes, definitely let us know how it goes. You should be able to settle around 180 on low. If you still struggle, check the minimum feed rate. That setting helps with low temperatures on warm days. Even where I am located, it can be an issue once in a while. There is a recteq video about the setting.

I agree with what @Beach Bum said. You need to lower your minimum feed rate. Try 3 if you do it by phone app, 30 if you do it on the controller. If you get a flameout bump it to 4/40.

I agree with what @Beach Bum said. You need to lower your minimum feed rate. Try 3 if you do it by phone app, 30 if you do it on the controller. If you get a flameout bump it to 4/40.
Just finished testing it. Evidently the Lo temp is 200 degrees and the 590 was able to maintain that for 20 minutes. So, it looks like I don’t have the issue I thought I had when I believed that 70 was the LO target. If I feel that I need it lower than 200 in the smoking stage , I think that video will get me through the adjustments. I want thank everyone for their help.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back