Bull Hopper idea

Mike Beaton

The 700 hopper is divided into two bins. When wanting to use a different pellet it is necessary to empty the entire hopper. Wondering if a cut off could be made so auger only feeds from one side. Would make it quick and easy to switch pellets when cooking a different meat. Any ideas?

The 700 hopper is divided into two bins. When wanting to use a different pellet it is necessary to empty the entire hopper. Wondering if a cut off could be made so auger only feeds from one side. Would make it quick and easy to switch pellets when cooking a different meat. Any ideas?
I just assembled my new 700 yesterday and that was my immediate thought when I saw the divider. I was hoping that was a feature I wasn’t aware of….I would find that to be very useful as I generally stick to 2 pellet varieties 99% of time.

Just buy one of these and a couple of new/spare 5 gallon paint buckets with lids. Each pellet type in it's own bucket. Easy changeout. :) And, it's nice having the pellets in buckets that are sealable, transportable and more rugged than the plastic bags they came in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSN8OOC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I bought mine back in February, it was mid to upper $30.00 range. Fair price for what you get. I just saw on Amazon when doing a generic search that they're now asking mid to upper $90.00 for it. Don't spend $90.00 + bucks :eek:
If you can't find it for a reasonable price, check Home Depot. I think they carry it, or one that is similar.

$8 because it's food grade or $8 because of where you live?
As long as it's HPDE it's safe for just about anything. That's what most homebrewers start off using as fermenters, so if it's safe for making alcohol it's fine for brining or storing pellets.

$8 because it's food grade or $8 because of where you live?
It's their online price for, as you said, HPDE food grade 5 gallon buckets. I'm sure a restuarant supply place could do better, but I ordered a bunch of stuff with free shipping and figured, "Why not?"

I have a couple for brining/corning, but I bought more of the same to satisfy my apparent OCD for pellet and wood chunk storage so my garage isn't a complete disaster...at least where I keep my fridge and cooking supplies.

As a side note, I am not the most fiscally responsible person here. Since all of this is mostly fun and games, I splurge a bit such as my recent addiction to Wagyu briskets, beef plate ribs, and cowboy steaks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back