hi, i am new to rec tec

@mhbraza this could be the hardest part of the whole Rec Tec ordering process... the waiting. :)

Great choice and welcome to RecTecForum!

Ooooh, we have all gone through the "Wait". But it just make the "Arrival" so much sweeter. Welcome and look forward to seeing the great stuff coming from pit master and pit!

i got thw bull... done with set up and initial burn... my first cook was 2 hamburger.. 250F for 1hr.... taste like sawdust... what did i do wrong?? or what i did not do??

maybe because the pellets that i receive is the culprit, 2 bags open. 1 small hole the other is turn open.. and it was raining hard in houston when they deliver.. maybe bad pellets

Howdy neighbor. I'd say too low, too slow. Did you get the grillin' grates option? For a burger you're better off with higher heat, sear the outside and hold in the juices. Also, the meat plays a roll, at 80/20 you'll lose some volumn, but the flavor and juiciness will be more satisfactory. Leaner mixes tend toward dryness unless you're really attentive to internal temp. A good quality instant read thermometer will let you know when the center of the burger hits the safe 160 mark. Past that, you risk dryness.

Your pellet post popped up as I was finishing the above. Normally if the pellets suffer from moisture the will either clump together (modest moisture), or fall apart to sawdust consistency (which is what they're made of).

Howdy neighbor. I'd say too low, too slow. Did you get the grillin' grates option? For a burger you're better off with higher heat, sear the outside and hold in the juices. Also, the meat plays a roll, at 80/20 you'll lose some volumn, but the flavor and juiciness will be more satisfactory. Leaner mixes tend toward dryness unless you're really attentive to internal temp. A good quality instant read thermometer will let you know when the center of the burger hits the safe 160 mark. Past that, you risk dryness.
how should i cook my burger for next time? what temp? how long? yes i have sear kit..

Good on the sear plates. BTW, you can use either side of those plates depending on whether you want stripes or more of a flat top type outcome. Different folks will have a variety of temps depending on how they want the burger surface to turn out. Personally, on the RT, I'd go anywhere from 450 to FULL with a good preheat on the plates. Having said that, I don't use the RT because I've grown to prefer a "smash burger" on the griddle. Either way, time isn't a good measure of how long to cook, temp is...….thus the need for the instant read thermometer.

Another suggestion, for any type of product, poultry, pork, beef, etc. you can check on the RT site for their recipes. That will get you to or near what would be a good starting point for each new recipe you try.

Last edited:
how should i cook my burger for next time? what temp? how long? yes i have sear kit..
When I'm doing burgers on my Bull I have it set to FULL and I use sear plates.

I usually cook the burgers for about 5-10 minutes on each side. It all depends on the thickness of the burger.

second cooked.... ribeye... success.. new pellet wood. the ones that is dry wood pellet

1557869884269151483640.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wadefarm
Back