Help- New Rec Tec Owner

macey023

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-300
I'm new to cooking on pellet's. I've always used a stick burner and charcoal. What tips can you give me for a newbie to pellet grilling? So far I have done Pork Chops (horribly overcooked), Spare Ribs (best I've ever done- no wrap amazing bark), Reverse sear ribeyes (ok- still a little over cooked- pulled at IT120 and grill grates for 3 mins per side came out med-med well instead of Med-rare) and chicken wings (rubbery- 1hr-extreme smoke 375 till crispy). I can grill anything almost perfect on a charcoal grill as that's what I've used for 15 years. Is it as simple as trial and error so are there some solid tips anyone can offer as I'm transitioning. I bought the 340 but want to add the Bull this week for more space. My wife isn't happy with the food coming off though.. Thanks.

Probably no help to you but I'm keeping my charcoal and propane grills along with the 340. I'll just use the right tool for the job. I'll be smoking a bunch of chicken parts tomorrow, They'll go on the grill after the smoker to crisp up the skin. Some day I may trade in the grills for the Bullseye, need to hear some reviews on it.

Probably no help to you but I'm keeping my charcoal and propane grills along with the 340. I'll just use the right tool for the job. I'll be smoking a bunch of chicken parts tomorrow, They'll go on the grill after the smoker to crisp up the skin. Some day I may trade in the grills for the Bullseye, need to hear some reviews on it.
You can do all that chicken on the Trailblazer but higher temperatures are the key to crispy results. I still have several smaller propane grills to use and if I want to use charcoal I'll just dump it a old rim and put a grill grate over it. Charcoal doesn't fit into my lazy cooking habits anymore.

A lot of it will be trial and error until you get used to what it does. I love mine but still use the gasser when I want anything crispy or with a crust.

A lot of it will be trial and error until you get used to what it does. I love mine but still use the gasser when I want anything crispy or with a crust.
I love my Bull, but as with using anything new there is a definite learning curve to it. Having previous experience BBQ'ing is a definite plus.

I consider my pellet grill a handy tool/gadget that makes my BBQ'ing easier and more convenient (which in turn means I use it more.......(y), Lazy BBQ'er :D). Owning it won't make me an instant Pitmaster.

The analogy I like to use is this: everyone can use a calculator, but when I was a kid back in the day I wasn't allowed to use one until I could prove I knew the basic fundamentals on paper, using a pencil. The calculator is just an aide, to make your life easier (ie: my Bull) you need to grasp the basic fundamentals first which, after 15 years you already have. After you get a few cooks under your belt, your food will definitely improve.

I just did a dry brine on chicken, and then a little oil and some seasoning, cooked on the mats at 425 and the skin was crisp. Course doing it this way you don't get much smoke.

When I do steaks I like them more rare to med rare. I pull at 115 and sear 1-2 min per side depending on thickness. Usually comes out great. Adjust your time/temp as needed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back