Help! Is this brisket OK to cook?

I’m surprised at the length of your cook, mine take hours longer at the same temps. I do use butcher paper if that matters.

I’m surprised at the length of your cook, mine take hours longer at the same temps. I do use butcher paper if that matters.
You need to find one that looks like this:
1697318006719.png

The brisket is the best I have ever made. Again, it was my first prime cut. So, that probably had a lot to do with it. I only tasted a few small bites from areas well away from the problem area. I also discarded some parts close to the problem area. The slices are in the fridge. I will vacuum seal them today. It may be all for naught based on what the butcher says.

An interesting thing with this cook… The brisket was 18.8 lbs before trimming. The cook only took 8:45. And, the first 2:20 minutes was at 180 degrees (then 225). I wrapped in aluminum foil at 7:15 into the cook when internal temps were in the upper 150’s. I pulled it when the flat was at 206 and it was probe tender. Do prime cuts cook faster?

I used @Pacman‘s rub formula. Although I have used the same ingredients in most of my cooks, I have always struggled with volume/mix consistency. Some cooks came out too salty and others too bland. It was my fault for being too lazy to measure out ingredients. His recipe worked out well for me. So, now I should get more consistent results going forward.
Waiting for what the butcher says

I’ll be surprised if the Costco meat department doesn’t offer a replacement brisket.
No need to be surprised! They did indeed say “toss it” and refunded my money. However, they did not have any prime briskets available today. I’ll try again late next week. My wife bought some glasses and we have to go back to pick them up. Is there a particular day of the week when I have the best chance of getting a prime brisket? It is a pain to drive over an hour just on the chance of finding one. At least there is a restaurant over that way that both my wife and I enjoy for lunch.

You should ask someone at the meat counter what day they get their shipments. Ours gets meat in on Tuesday so late Tuesday to Wednesday is our best selection. Really anything before the weekend.

No need to be surprised! They did indeed say “toss it” and refunded my money. However, they did not have any prime briskets available today. I’ll try again late next week. My wife bought some glasses and we have to go back to pick them up. Is there a particular day of the week when I have the best chance of getting a prime brisket? It is a pain to drive over an hour just on the chance of finding one. At least there is a restaurant over that way that both my wife and I enjoy for lunch.
I thought they would replace/refund on that brisket. That bloody pocket was just not sanitary. Glad to hear you gave them the opportunity to make things right.

As for best days of the week, I used to think Thursday or Friday was the best day for brisket, figuring they would be stocking up for the weekend. Then, a few weeks ago, I was at Costco on a Monday—and, I rarely go there on Monday–and they were stocking up a whole meat cast with briskets. Go figure.

IME, brisket availability slows down a bit after Labor Day. You might ask to speak to the meat department manager and get his/her input on the best day to look for brisket. And, in the process, you may cultivate a relationship that will get you a brisket from “the back room.” Who knows? At our old location, I had that kind of relationship established. Now, at the new location, I’m still trying to build that bridge. It depends a lot on the personality of the department manager and/or head meat cutter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back