Has Costco changed their briskets?

The wife and I watch a guy on youtube that shows new things or good deals at Costco each month. We hate the fact he is always showing hard alcohol products that we would like to buy but they aren't allowed to sell in our Costco's. We also can't find some of the products he shows off.
😂 You think you have it bad? We live in Kentucky, and it’s almost impossible for us to buy really good bourbon here! The last two bottles of our favorite bourbon were purchased by my SIL, who at the time lived in Florida!.

😂 You think you have it bad? We live in Kentucky, and it’s almost impossible for us to buy really good bourbon here! The last two bottles of our favorite bourbon were purchased by my SIL, who at the time lived in Florida!.
No problem getting it here, believe me, I think half my town are alcoholics based on how busy the liquor stores are around me. From my understanding there is a law in Texas that says the big boys can't sell their own branded liquor because it would be unfair to the little guys, so no Kirklands liquor here. Also, if you sell hard liquor you have to close by 9pm which places like Wal-mart don't want to do. People here can't believe where I grew up you could buy hard liquor at the grocery store.

Our Costco can only get choice brisket right now. There is a shortage on prime so that may be it.

I think it is very funny about the bourbon supply in KY. At least 2 times a year we do a part of the bourbon trail. It is crazy on how gullible the people are there. the last time we were there it was impossible to find Buffalo Trace. We were at the Distillery and they had a limit of 2 bottles because the locals would come in and buy up the stock because they think it is the same as Blanton as it is made with the same bill mash. I am not a fan of Blanton and think it is over rated. I can take or leave BT. Nothing that I normally stock.

I live in MI and the store I go to had it in stock and asked if there was a limit. I told him about the situation in KY. He asked how many cases do you want? We have plenty. It is actually about the same price as it would be in KY. We stop at Costco or Total Wine in KY and stock up on bourbon because some of it is way cheaper than in MI, plus there are some brands that we can’t get.

There are many bourbons with the same Bill Mash. The difference is the aging, type of barrel and etc.
Old Grand Dad has the same bill mash as Basil Hayden as an example.

Last edited:
Our local walmart has Swift brand brisket. I did not like it. My wife said it had a fake aged flavor to it. Probably an injection of some type. I will stick with the local butcher who gets meat straight from the farm.

I have not herd of that!
At my local Costco (Western WA) I have never seen any brisket other than prime. Now at a somewhat reasonable $3.99.
Here in Nashville we used to have prime but for the last couple months, only choice.

I picked up my brisket for last Saturday's cook at Costco but the "Choice" offerings in the cooler were not what I was looking for. I spotted some briskets in the prep area with "Angus Beef" on the packaging. One of the butchers picked out one of the size I was looking for. Did my 4 hr low, 4 hr 225 and 5 hr wrapped at 235 method on a raised grate. Came off jiggly and was pretty darn good. If you see the Angus Beef brisket at Costco I would say buy it.

I was at my local Costco today. They had precisely 3 briskets in the case; all USDA Choice. All were in the 15-17# weight range with thin flats. I wasn’t looking for a brisket today, but I surely would not have purchased any of the three.

In all fairness, today was Monday and the previous weekend probably took its toll on the brisket supply. I try to look for briskets on Wednesday or Thursday when the local Costco seems to restock its meat cases in anticipation of purchases for the coming weekend.

I had been on a hunt for a prime brisket at my local Costco which didn't have any prime cuts. I asked the butcher about it, and he said they were having problems getting any in as stated above. The wife and I left after completing our other shopping and headed out. Going down the road, I glanced over and saw Sam's Club (which we also had a membership at) and whipped in and went inside. Went back to the meat dept. and started scouring the briskets and ran across some black angus cuts that had the best (thickest) flats I've seen even at Costco! I perused what they had and snagged a brisket that was about 15lbs. with a flat that was about 2-21/2 inches thick. Turned out to be a great cook with a brisket I had some reservations about as to the quality of the beef.

Sam’s Club closed its Washington state location a few years back. They said it was because of an unfavorable tax climate and a too-high minimum wage in the state. What they left unsaid is that Costco is a Washington-based corporation that has a very strong presence in the state. :unsure:

Visited my local Costco today, something I don’t usually do on Monday as I figure the meat department stock will be depleted from the weekend shoppers. I was surprised to find the meat department fully stocked, including a separate display case with nothing but brisket; all USDA Choice, however. Still, this was the best stock of briskets I’ve seen at my local Costco in quite a while.

I don’t usually buy USDA Choice brisket, preferring Prime, but I sorted through what was in the case and found a well-trimmed, decently marbled, 11-pound (my preferred size) brisket with a nice, thick flat that I couldn’t resist. And, I hadn’t planned on buying a brisket in the first place. The $4.29/lb price was about normal for my area.

IMG_2371.jpeg

Lesson learned: don’t presuppose that Mondays are necessarily a bad day to shop for meat at Costco. ;)

Last edited:
I prefer Prime as well, but frankly I’d buy a nice 11 pound Choice over a 15+ pound Prime in a heartbeat. Nice score!

Visited my local Costco today, something I don’t usually do on Monday as I figure the meat department stock will be depleted from the weekend shoppers. I was surprised to find the meat department fully stocked, including a separate display case with nothing but brisket; all USDA Choice, however. Still, this was the best stock of briskets I’ve seen at my local Costco in quite a while.

I don’t usually buy USDA Choice brisket, preferring Prime, but I sorted through what was in the case and found a well-trimmed, decently marbled, 11-pound (my preferred size) brisket with a nice, thick flat that I couldn’t resist. And, I hadn’t planned on buying a brisket in the first place. The $4.29/lb price was about normal for my area.

View attachment 19821

Lesson learned: don’t presuppose that Mondays are necessarily a bad day to shop for meat at Costco. ;)
Well, that looks like a nice score :)

I wonder, maybe they get (meat) trucks in on Sunday night/Monday mornings and maybe the same thing on Thursday/Fridays....:unsure:

Speaking of brisket, it is $1.99 a pound this weekend at the Kroger in my area. You have to clip a digital coupon to use with your plus card, but that’s it. I bought one to smoke, make go back for a couple more to grind for brisket burger.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back