Has Costco changed their briskets?

opus

I was at my local Costco this past weekend and checked out the briskets. I admit I haven't bought one from there in probably 6 months. The sides that were up all had the normal Costco price sticker with all the info. I flipped it over and noticed on the back that the plastic wrap had a big label and I think it said "Smith's" but I could have that wrong. Flipped over a bunch more and they all had that. I've never seen any of their briskets have a company name on them other than the wagyu ones. Is this something new? I'm assuming they have always been from this company just never had the name on the packaging?

Probably Smithfield? If so, one of the largest pork producers in the world. China company, surprise.
I could have sworn the name was only 4 or 5 letters. Looking online I found a site that stated that Costco gets most of its beef from California ranchers but I didn't see any that I recognized. Wish I had taken a pic.

Could it have possibly been "SRF?" Costco does get some meat from Snake River Farms (SRF) in Idaho; primarily American Wagyu beef. IMO, it is very high-quality meat.

Could it have possibly been "SRF?" Costco does get some meat from Snake River Farms (SRF) in Idaho; primarily American Wagyu beef. IMO, it is very high-quality meat.
No, they had wagyu next to it but in a very different looking package.

After some searching I figured out the brand was "Swift". I found a reply on a bbq board that said he worked for Costco and they used 4 different suppliers for their beef. I guess ours in the past has used a supplier that didn't put a label on their packages.

As a somewhat regular at several Costcos in SoCal, I was informed several months ago that there is a shortage on prime grade meats of all kinds. I was told that the weather in the east and the rain in the west combined with the inflation related to feed and maintenance on some of the ranches (including interest rates) has put a number of ranchers that suffered through covid with a lack of labor and ranch-hands, caused a decline in the sizes of heards. and other complications. In addition, the care and feeding to maintain “Prime” grade beef was too challenging, resulting in a number of ranches downgrading their livestock to move them to market. I’m not a rancher but my local Costco meat department manager has never led me astray so it seems very plausible that the leverage they have would have been influential. Absent that, even Costco seems to be at the mercy of the market forces. YMMV, especially for those in Nebraska and Texas.

After some searching I figured out the brand was "Swift". I found a reply on a bbq board that said he worked for Costco and they used 4 different suppliers for their beef. I guess ours in the past has used a supplier that didn't put a label on their packages.
Not a fan of Swift products. I make it a point to stay away. YMMV

I have not herd of that!
At my local Costco (Western WA) I have never seen any brisket other than prime. Now at a somewhat reasonable $3.99.

All of the briskets at my local Twin Cities Costco were Choice this last week. I even asked if they had any Prime in the back (they usually do), and there weren’t any this time 😞.

My costco here in Athens NEVER has anything but choice so damn I have to order online from SRF… 😂 I wish I could find prime locally but never can.

if its prime I would be happy we have not had prime in months in the Augusta GA Cost co - last I heard they wont be getting it back any time soon I miss my 2.69 prime packers the choice is not a good choice lol

I have not herd of that!
At my local Costco (Western WA) I have never seen any brisket other than prime. Now at a somewhat reasonable $3.99.
It is a regional thing from what I've read. Some locations/areas have moved to carrying only choice because it is all they can get at a good price. Some have no prime beef at all.

It is a regional thing from what I've read. Some locations/areas have moved to carrying only choice because it is all they can get at a good price. Some have no prime beef at all.
The odd part is that Costco has already admitted in the past that they (mostly) send all tri-tip cuts to the west coast, because the market is stronger there. The locations that don’t have Prime have done so for a marketing reason. It’s not like they (pick your region of the US here) ’We don’t butcher prime beef in the (my market) because the beef is not up to Prime standard. The USDA determines what is prime, at the point the meat is processed. Not Costco, or any other beef retailer.

Was just at Costco in Peachtree City, GA and they said they only occasionally get prime in. Dang! This was the main reason we just bought a membership. I got tired of reading here about all the great deals on prime grade brisket. Someone on this forum owes me $60. :)

Was just at Costco in Peachtree City, GA and they said they only occasionally get prime in. Dang! This was the main reason we just bought a membership. I got tired of reading here about all the great deals on prime grade brisket. Someone on this forum owes me $60. :)
I'm sorry about the confusion @AlphaPapa , the check is in the mail.

The odd part is that Costco has already admitted in the past that they (mostly) send all tri-tip cuts to the west coast, because the market is stronger there. The locations that don’t have Prime have done so for a marketing reason. It’s not like they (pick your region of the US here) ’We don’t butcher prime beef in the (my market) because the beef is not up to Prime standard. The USDA determines what is prime, at the point the meat is processed. Not Costco, or any other beef retailer.
They even get specific to the area of town they are in. The area around my Costco has a huge Indian population and so they have a lot of products geared toward them. I can drive 20 minutes to the next Costco and they won't have a lot of those products but will have a bunch geared toward the Asian population since that is the demographic around that store.

The wife and I watch a guy on youtube that shows new things or good deals at Costco each month. We hate the fact he is always showing hard alcohol products that we would like to buy but they aren't allowed to sell in our Costco's. We also can't find some of the products he shows off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back