RT-1250 Has anyone tried wood chunks on the cast iron deflector?

Marshall

Military Veteran
I've seen mentioned in several places that you can put wood chips/chunks or pellets on the cast iron deflector to add more smoke to your cooks. Has anyone tried this? How did it work out?

@Marshall I tried this once a while back. There was not enough clearance between the deflector and the drip pan for the size of chunks I had on hand. You could use chips, but I would think they would burn up very quickly.

I use a smoke tube with chips and pellets if I want added smoke. Pack the chips and pellets in tight and a 12 inch tube will last for several hours.

I have some leftover wood chunks from my previous grill and might soak a handful and give it a try.

I've seen mentioned in several places that you can put wood chips/chunks or pellets on the cast iron deflector to add more smoke to your cooks. Has anyone tried this? How did it work out?
I would think it would make more of a mess in the cooking chamber than a smoke tube, and wouldn’t generate as much smoke. YMMV

I get so much smoke at 200/220......cannot fathom wanting more than that. :oops:
And, that’s what makes the world go around! Some people like a LOT of smoke, some people just a little. It’s a personal preference thing.

I get just about the right amount with my Trailblazer at 200-225F and, if I need a bit more, I use the smoke tube.

I put cherry, apple, or post oak wood chips on the heat deflector, depending on what I'm cooking. I can definitely taste a difference in smokiness.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back