Bull Grill shut down

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Problem just started.
When I cut the grill off I usually just cut it off and wait till the fan goes off and then take the groceries off the grates.
For the past few cooks however, it seems like it still smokes out of the stack for about a half hour after shutdown.
I'm assuming that it's burning pellets in the feed tube.
Y'all got a better way of shutting down a RT 700 where it will not burn the excess pellets in the tube if that's what's happening.

Thanks

Problem just started.
When I cut the grill off I usually just cut it off and wait till the fan goes off and then take the groceries off the grates.
For the past few cooks however, it seems like it still smokes out of the stack for about a half hour after shutdown.
Y'all got a better way of shutting down a RT 700 where it will not burn the excess pellets in the tube if that's what's happening.

Thanks
I've been working on inhibiting the final auger feed during shutdown. So far it works, still testing.
Unplugging the grill after the fan stops (cool down) does the same thing.

Problem just started.

Thanks
What was the temp when you turned it off?

Sounds like it's worth trying.
If its running at 350-400 I'll cut it back to low which I believe is 180. That should reduce the amount of pellets going into the fire pot.
Some have had luck with that method, it will NOT reduce the pellet amount. A lower fire pot temp may help not relighting the pellets.

I've been working on inhibiting the final auger feed during shutdown. So far it works, still testing.
Unplugging the grill after the fan stops (cool down) does the same thing.
Like this, or you going Rube Goldberg on this solution?
1687372671341.png

Don't divulge anything that will make you rich, I'll just be happily surprised when it happens. ;)

Like this, or you going Rube Goldberg on this solution?
View attachment 19435
Don't divulge anything that will make you rich, I'll just be happily surprised when it happens. ;)
The switch was my first thought. I wanted to be able to turn it off and walk away, so I went another route.

At 350 I would drop it to 225 and let it stabilize, once stabile then shut it off. I am far and away from as experienced as many on here and I didn’t sleep at a Holiday inn express. I treat mine like a turbo charged car I have had spoiled up hot and heavy just before pulling up at home. I let it idle for a good while until that glowing hot turbo and the tiny bearings cool off so as to not cook the oil lubing the bearings. Once it has cooled, I go out and turn it off.

Edit: small price to pay for the pellets or fuel to prevent problems and being able to monitor and shut off using the app or at the unit makes it all the easier. Plus I unplug my unit after I finish.

I cook a bunch of reverse seared steaks on my RecTeq Bull. So I'm starting low and ending high (500 degrees). When I'm done searing I'll power off the grill and let it do it's normal count down. I also leave the grill lid open more times than not.

Doing so I've not had any issues or noticed the grill continue to burn after that time, even at the high temp.

See my notes in the 1070 section. I no longer have burn backs or smolders if I follow my own advice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back