Bull Grill gasket for RT-700

Lilbullowner

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Matador
Hi all,

I got a gasket for my grill to seal it up a bit more & the instructions dont have recommended minimum low temps for installing.
It gets down to single digits & high of 40s where I live. Does anyone have any experience installing these & what you think is a safe temp to put these on at are? I dont care to have the seal fail because I put the gasket on when it was too cold. I know some products state not to apply when temps are below lr above a certain range. I emailed the manufacturer but they havent gotten back, yet (probably due to Covid hahaha).

Thanks

You're talking for the lid right? Not sure there is a minimum temperature. I've got my lid gasket ready to install, but been too cold for me to clean the surfaces. Probably will do it in spring unless it warms up soon.

I did RTV gasket on my smoke stack as well.

You're talking for the lid right? Not sure there is a minimum temperature. I've got my lid gasket ready to install, but been too cold for me to clean the surfaces. Probably will do it in spring unless it warms up soon.

I did RTV gasket on my smoke stack as well.
Yes, taking about the grill... and smokebox as well

Not sure why you want to seal the grill. It does just fine without it and you may end up reducing efficiency by reducing air flow. I have mine on a covered back porch and have never had a problem with getting smoked out by the grill.

Not sure why you want to seal the grill. It does just fine without it and you may end up reducing efficiency by reducing air flow. I have mine on a covered back porch and have never had a problem with getting smoked out by the grill.
Why not?
To me, if smoke is billowing from all sides of the door, it means heat is escaping as well. It seems like not only will you get a better smoke for the meat, it will also run more efficiently. Also, there wont be metal to metal when closing the door.

Why not?
To me, if smoke is billowing from all sides of the door, it means heat is escaping as well. It seems like not only will you get a better smoke for the meat, it will also run more efficiently. Also, there wont be metal to metal when closing the door.
I understand that folks have different opinions on this one. I did the lid and smokebox door of my 700 last week. There was a significant reduction in smoke leaking from both places. The smoke volume from the smokestack went up quite a bit, which could mean more smoke being pushed through the smokebox. I see this as a win. There did not seem to be any negatives. I'm in the "go for it" camp. It was maybe 50 degrees here when I did it. My only advice is make sure the surface is as clean and dry as possible, then give it 24 hours to sit with the lid and door shut before your next cook.

I understand that folks have different opinions on this one. I did the lid and smokebox door of my 700 last week. There was a significant reduction in smoke leaking from both places. The smoke volume from the smokestack went up quite a bit, which could mean more smoke being pushed through the smokebox. I see this as a win. There did not seem to be any negatives. I'm in the "go for it" camp. It was maybe 50 degrees here when I did it. My only advice is make sure the surface is as clean and dry as possible, then give it 24 hours to sit with the lid and door shut before your next cook.
Thanks. This is what I was thinking. The only issue is temp. Over the last few days, temp has reached a high of about 36. I'm skeptical that the adhesive will properly cure at this temp. Has anyone had these issues with temp so low during installation?

I'm hoping one of our cold weather folks can give you some better insight. It's been years since we lived somewhere with real weather. The best I can offer is what I saw on Google. A few sites said 59 degrees and above is ideal for adhesive with 20-40 still working. Good luck!

I put my gasket on with temps in the mid 30s. I then fired up the grill and left it run until temp was 225 with the lid closed. Gasket is well adhered to lid.

I sealed mine in the cold...just put it on and close the lid and turn the grill on to raise the temp then turn it off. Mine has worked and sealed perfect. Seal hasn’t changed efficiency for me at all either. Remember that you don’t need to add water to the box

I sealed mine in the cold...just put it on and close the lid and turn the grill on to raise the temp then turn it off. Mine has worked and sealed perfect. Seal hasn’t changed efficiency for me at all either. Remember that you don’t need to add water to the box
I never heard of adding water. What's that all about?

I have a 590 and sealed my entire lid (which I planned initially not to) and the vents in the back as well. It’s worked flawlessly in my opinion. It was 30 degrees when I did mine. Also I just smoked 18 hrs in the rain (and 30-40 degrees)...worked perfect. If you don’t do it...that’s your business. I did it based on research...other smokers...logic, logic and oh yeah...logic. If I worked for recteq...I would’ve already had 15 meetings about this...with proof of positive results.

The trick would be to have the surface clean and dry. Once carefully in place, close the lid. It will adhere over time and while cooking. If there is a concern about air flow, you can raise the smoke stack cap higher. I don't find any issues there, but do notice more smoke coming out of the drip chute, which I look at as a good thing. More smoke being driven down at the meat level.

I used a 1" wide 1/4" thick quality gasket made for a Vision grill. It has lasted much longer than the stupidly thin Fireblack gasket it replaced. Over a year now with the better gasket found here: Amazon.com: LavaLock High-Temp Vision Grill Replacement Gasket 1 x 1/4 Extra Thick Correct Size: Garden & Outdoor

The trick would be to have the surface clean and dry. Once carefully in place, close the lid. It will adhere over time and while cooking. If there is a concern about air flow, you can raise the smoke stack cap higher. I don't find any issues there, but do notice more smoke coming out of the drip chute, which I look at as a good thing. More smoke being driven down at the meat level.

I used a 1" wide 1/4" thick quality gasket made for a Vision grill. It has lasted much longer than the stupidly thin Fireblack gasket it replaced. Over a year now with the better gasket found here: Amazon.com: LavaLock High-Temp Vision Grill Replacement Gasket 1 x 1/4 Extra Thick Correct Size: Garden & Outdoor

I agree.

I used the 1” Lavalock around the lid and the 1/2” around the vent covers. You can always use the heat gasket sealer...they sell is everywhere. But my thinking was...I’m going to try something NOT so permanent but that still works great. So far...after the 18hr smoke, its working great. And no leaks btw.

If it all goes to crap...I’ll post about it :) Happy smoking! Life is good!!

A3C964BD-5BBA-490E-B06B-35AB367D34BD.jpeg

Hi all,

I got a gasket for my grill to seal it up a bit more & the instructions dont have recommended minimum low temps for installing.
It gets down to single digits & high of 40s where I live. Does anyone have any experience installing these & what you think is a safe temp to put these on at are? I dont care to have the seal fail because I put the gasket on when it was too cold. I know some products state not to apply when temps are below lr above a certain range. I emailed the manufacturer but they havent gotten back, yet (probably due to Covid hahaha).

Thanks
Installed mine at 20 then turned grill on to 180 worked great

I never heard of adding water. What's that all about?
I second this, What's the "water to the box" mean?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back