charlesrshell

Pellet Grill Rookie
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
For all you drip pan foil fans out there I am trying out Traeger BAC410 Pro 34 tray liner. It fits the RT-590 drip pan fairly well. Amazon says the dimensions are 15 x 31 inches. It actually measures 15-1/2 x 31-1/2 inches. I did not shorten the ends. I know we aren’t suppose to rap the foil ends but I did anyway. Left side I rapped the 1-1/2 inch tab around the edge. On the right side I rapped around the whole end then cut out the half round slot. Will let you know how goes it next cooking.

Foil Lt Side.jpg
Foil Rt Side.jpg

Looks interesting. I use 18" foil as a base with a couple sheets of normal width foil that can be peeled off after a cook. I will crease the extra width to go over the lips on the sides. I always wrap the ends by about an inch, or two. I haven't had any issue with that. I think it helps the grease fall over into the trough better.

To me, I just find it easier wrapping than getting a putty knife out and scraping the chard bits. Controversial topic, for sure. This ranks up there with Texas crutch/wrap, or naked......

Looks interesting. I use 18" foil as a base with a couple sheets of normal width foil that can be peeled off after a cook. I will crease the extra width to go over the lips on the sides. I always wrap the ends by about an inch, or two. I haven't had any issue with that. I think it helps the grease fall over into the trough better.

To me, I just find it easier wrapping than getting a putty knife out and scraping the chard bits. Controversial topic, for sure. This ranks up there with Texas crutch/wrap, or naked......
Yep, no putty knife for me too. I didn't crease any foil over the long sides. I don't think RT wants any foil wrapped around the sides and ends. I do the ends anyway and wrap them real tight so the convection air from the bottom doesn't blow the foil up and block the air.

I also use the BAC410 on my RT-700. It doesn't wrap over the edge but it's a good fit. I do sometimes foil manually but I usually like to keep some of these on-hand for times when I want greater convenience (laziness).

I also use the BAC410 on my RT-700. It doesn't wrap over the edge but it's a good fit. I do sometimes foil manually but I usually like to keep some of these on-hand for times when I want greater convenience (laziness).
Yep, it would get expensive using the Traeger liners all the time if you cook bunches.

Yep, no putty knife for me too. I didn't crease any foil over the long sides. I don't think RT wants any foil wrapped around the sides and ends. I do the ends anyway and wrap them real tight so the convection air from the bottom doesn't blow the foil up and block the air.
Agree with not wrapping around the sides, this impacts heat circulation, best to keep foil inside lip of drip tray.

For all you drip pan foil fans out there I am trying out Traeger BAC410 Pro 34 tray liner. It fits the RT-590 drip pan fairly well. Amazon says the dimensions are 15 x 31 inches. It actually measures 15-1/2 x 31-1/2 inches. I did not shorten the ends. I know we aren’t suppose to rap the foil ends but I did anyway. Left side I rapped the 1-1/2 inch tab around the edge. On the right side I rapped around the whole end then cut out the half round slot. Will let you know how goes it next cooking.

View attachment 5913View attachment 5914
I’m with you there on the foil. I get the very heavy duty stuff you can get at restaurant supply or even Costco. It’s wider then my drip pan on my 700 and I just fold it up and over the ends. I hear a lot of people saying grease and funk still gets under the foil but I’m willing they are using grocery store foil and having to use several pieces. My drip pan still looks almost like new. Foil is cheap and I’m lazy when it comes to cleaning the grills. I am anal about my grates though, I keep them very clean. Again, it’s the CDO in me (obsessive compulsive disorder but spelled alphabetically like it should be).

I change the foil if I’m about to do a fatty long cook like pork butts or just finished some. Or after I can’t see the foil anymore. Then I clean out the fire pit while I got it apart.

I’m with you there on the foil. I get the very heavy duty stuff you can get at restaurant supply or even Costco. It’s wider then my drip pan on my 700 and I just fold it up and over the ends. I hear a lot of people saying grease and funk still gets under the foil but I’m willing they are using grocery store foil and having to use several pieces. My drip pan still looks almost like new. Foil is cheap and I’m lazy when it comes to cleaning the grills. I am anal about my grates though, I keep them very clean. Again, it’s the CDO in me (obsessive compulsive disorder but spelled alphabetically like it should be).

I change the foil if I’m about to do a fatty long cook like pork butts or just finished some. Or after I can’t see the foil anymore. Then I clean out the fire pit while I got it apart.
I have only used my grill twice now and changed the foil and vacuumed the hot pot both times. I plan on doing that every time I use the grill. If you are warping the foil around all sides be sure you do it as tight as possible. Keep and eye on all sides and make sure the foil doesn't rise and block off any of the side openings around the drip pan. I got some grease on my pan because I didn't wrap the forward and back sides.

I’m a fan of wrapping too. I use heavy duty 18” wide Reynolds Wrap and wrap it tightly over all 4 sides of my 340 drip tray, but I still manage to get some grease on the top of the tray. But it still is easier than cleaning an uncovered drip tray (for me anyway).

Easiest and cheapest is to turn the bucket upside down, mold the foil over the bucket, then insert the molded foil into the bucket
Agree and I did the foil into the drip bucket but the grease somehow found it's way into the bucket. My kids found the bucket liners at Walmart and picked them up for me, these liners are way thicker than foil, don't leak and can be reused if you want.

I tried the foil and found it to be really messy to replace and then clean the pan.
Now I typically do a high temp run for 20 minutes. Once it has cooled down I wire brush the grates, use a spatula and shop vac and vac the drip pan and combustion box area. It is very easy to clean up and most importantly, no grease to deal with.

These are photos after the burn and vacuuming.

Attachments

• Drip Pan s.jpg
    Drip Pan s.jpg
    649.9 KB · Views: 166
  • Stampede Burner S.jpg
    Stampede Burner S.jpg
    697.3 KB · Views: 170

View attachment 5913View attachment 5914
so i bought the thin black oven liners from like wal mart and amazon carries them as well. the are non-stick and high heat resistant and the drippings just literally wipe off, been using them for about 3 weeks now so far its been awesome.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back