Stampede Getting frustrated.

As others have stated, trying to cook at 180 for most of the cook would probably take an astronomical amount of time and more than likely ruin the brisket. To be honest, IMO, running at anything less than 225 would just be a waste of time. Not to mention the great possibility of drying it out and basically turning into a gigantic piece of jerky.

If it's making sure to add more smoke flavor is what you're after, then I would strongly suggest getting a smoke tube, or just placing woods chunks on top of the deflector as has been suggested by many on here.
I agree the extreme smoke 180 degree is too low for brisket, 225 and a smoke tube will be better and make a tender brisket.

Hi I did try the wood chunks didn't help much..I also purchased a "Tube" but haven't used it yet. I was going to use it when I smoke the brisket.I just need a little more smoke flavor not much!
Maybe extreme smoke@180 for the first 4 hrs.? The onto 225 or whatever.
Thanks Dan
PS I just a watched a show where a guy in Texas smoke brisket @ 190* for 16 hrs.

Last edited:
It won’t cause any harm to the grill but it’s gonna take forever
I cooked a 8.5 prime brisket for 8 hours @180 degrees when it hit the stall @ 160 degrees internal I wrapped and cranked it up to 225. It reached 205 internal in 4 more hours. No problem

Yep, all 180 is going to do is prolong your cook a bit. Though frankly i do most things at Low for a bit to impart decent smoke. Briskets are pretty forgiving to an extent, you can push temp up to around 325 and they will still turn out great. The real key is they need a minimum time to render the fat, that minimum time is different for each but thats really what your after not a specific cook temp. Have to say though, there have been some damn funny replies to this one.

This is a great article explaining the science of the stall - have a read! While breaking down of the connective tissue is an awesome byproduct, it isn’t in itself what causes the stall. It is indeed just “sweat!”

https://modernistcuisine.com/mc/barbecue-stall/

Enjoy!
Did you actually read this article? They’re trying to compare what is essentially a wrapped brisket to an unwrapped brisket and wondering why the aforementioned brisket didn’t have the stall. Huh??? And to be honest, after this statement I stopped reading; “The core of the uncovered brisket stalled. In this test, we left the brisket dry, but if we had slathered it with sauce periodically as many barbecue chefs do, we could prolong the stall by keeping the surface wet.”

Again...huh??

I’ll continue to look into this theory to see if there’s anyone else that’s tested it as well, but in the meantime I’ll stand by my statement. Especially considering that “Most barbecue experts say this stall occurs when connective tissue in the meat softens and fat starts to render” (quoted from article). So I ask, would believe “most experts”, or someone that nobody has ever heard of? Just sayin...

Just for the sake of argument here, we may just have to agree to disagree on this one, because as long as I’ve been grilling/smoking meats, this is what I’ve been told is the cause of the stall, so I’m going to continue on with that belief.

Last edited:
I’ve had my 590 since April 2020. I’ve tried cooking ribs, pulled pork, chicken, bone in ribeye steak, and a small brisket flat. The steak and chicken were good, but everything else has been average to bad. I have an 11 lb Snake River Farms Gold wagyu brisket and could use some advice on preparing and smoking it. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.
I’ve had my 590 since last November, and have done brisket twice- one flat and a packer just last week. I’ve been very happy with the results both times. It sounds like you’re diligent about the meat quality, so that checks the first box. Be aggressive about trimming. I really go after the fat between the point and the flat. It reduces the thickness on the point end which helps even out the cooking. I use Worcestershire sauce as a binder for the rub, and put the rub on one hour before cooking. The packer got injected with black mocha stout to help maintain moisture during the sixteen hour cook (225 degrees), but you can use a lot of different liquids. I wrap in butcher paper and do it a little early- around 157- 158 degrees. Probe for doneness starting at 195 degrees. My packer was done at 203 degrees. The flat I rested for two hours, the packer for four. Four hours isn’t necessary that’s just what worked for me.

This is a great article explaining the science of the stall - have a read! While breaking down of the connective tissue is an awesome byproduct, it isn’t in itself what causes the stall. It is indeed just “sweat!”

https://modernistcuisine.com/mc/barbecue-stall/

Enjoy!

That's a nice article that tries to demonstrate the process from a cook's perspective. Other articles that corroborate those conclusions have been posted up on here in the past. The nature of forums such as this one is that new members come in the door daily just as older members leave, with only a few "old timers" lingering over time. Thus, previous posts on certain subject matter "disappear" in the rotational flow. Here's a link to an article that takes a more scientific approach: https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...rstanding-and-beating-barbecue-stall-bane-all

There are links in that article that further enlighten on other myths, but myths persist whether food related or otherwise. Humans be humans..............................

That's a nice article that tries to demonstrate the process from a cook's perspective. Other articles that corroborate those conclusions have been posted up on here in the past. The nature of forums such as this one is that new members come in the door daily just as older members leave, with only a few "old timers" lingering over time. Thus, previous posts on certain subject matter "disappear" in the rotational flow. Here's a link to an article that takes a more scientific approach: https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...rstanding-and-beating-barbecue-stall-bane-all

There are links in that article that further enlighten on other myths, but myths persist whether food related or otherwise. Humans be humans..............................
I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. ;)

I like their straight forward process in this article to disprove the theory vs. the one from the previous post that was trying to compare apples to butter knives. It was just ridiculous, and made some pretty dumb remarks along the way. Anyway...I digress.

Basically what I'm saying is this article actually seems to hold water (Yup! I just did that! :D).

Thanks for the lesson Unc!

Darrell

Ima 250-275f man pushes thru the sweat (stall) faster and sets the bark before I wrap with
butcher paper I like a nice mahogany bark before the wrap Around 165 and the smoke taste is good as well.Done time around 203f give or take
1595797486513.png
1595797486513.png

I've been so happy with my stampede I got back in May (thank you stimulus).
Did 4 racks today, 2 babies and 2 St Louie's.
The last time i did ribs, I did 4 baby backs, ran them an hour at 180, then upped to 220 with a smoke tube. no wrap, just a dry rub and apple juice/cider vinegar spritz every 45min. Took 7 hours but turned out great.
This time I put them in at 235 with a smoke tube, no wrap with a spritz every 45. Was very surprised to find them all done at 5hrs, the St. Louie's were absolutely perfect, the baby backs were completely fall off the bone, so they were a little over for my liking, but still very good. All had a dark perfect bark, and as far as smoke level... I could not tell a difference from my last cook.
So I think today I found my new rib method, 5hrs or less to perfect ribs without messing with wrapping.... that just can't be beat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back