Bull Gaskets installed - leakage stopped

NBK

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Finished up "battening down the hatches" today on the Bull. While doing so, I discovered what dissolves and cleans the best (next weekend will be cleaning up some of the visible areas so the bull looks nice outside). Give "Rutland" liquid creosote remover a try. It works better than all of the other products I have read about on the forums. Ron over @Pellet Grills Galore gave me the advice.

Anyway, below illustrates the high temp gasket material used on the smoke box and smoke stack as well as the Fireblack gasket strips on the barrel lid. Easy peasy. Like I said, I need to dissolve the carbon and creosote on the outside of the smoker. Thanks for all of the posts motivating me to get this done.

20210418_134530.jpg
20210418_134540.jpg
20210418_134523.jpg
20210418_134516.jpg
20210418_215007.jpg

Last edited:
Finished up "battening down the hatches" today on the Bull. While doing so, I discovered what dissolves and cleans the best (next weekend will be cleaning up some of the visible areas so the bull looks nice outside). Give "Rutland" liquid creosote remover a try. It works better than all of the other products I have read about on the forums. Ron over @Pellet Grills Galore gave me the advice.

Anyway, below illustrates the high temp gasket material used on the smoke box and smoke stack as well as the Fireblack gasket strips on the barrel lid. Easy peasy. Like I said, I need dissolve the carbon and creosote on the outside of the smoker. Thanks for all of the posts motivating me to get this done.

View attachment 9699View attachment 9700View attachment 9702View attachment 9703View attachment 9704
Where did you get the flat gasket material?

Looks great !!!

Anyway, below illustrates the high temp gasket material used on the smoke box and smoke stack as well as the Fireblack gasket strips on the barrel lid. Easy peasy. Like I said, I need dissolve the carbon and creosote on the outside of the smoker. Thanks for all of the posts motivating me to get this done.

View attachment 9699View attachment 9700View attachment 9702View attachment 9703View attachment 9704
Are the square gaskets on the smoke box.

I’m a new 700 owner. Is it common to need to seal it? Is the leakage so bad that it’s a problem?
It's purely a personal preference. And folks do it for different reasons, ranging from reducing discoloration from smoke to trying to keep more smoke in. Plenty of debate on the merits of it in various threads. (I didn't put gaskets on my RT-700.)

Looks good.. have only sealed the lid on mine so far.. not really seeing issues yet at the stack but maybe will over time. Nice job!

An observation just now after I put the "El Pastor" project on the bull; the smoke tube isn't as aggressive with smoke now due to the lack of air leakage.

Still plenty but thought it might be of someone's interest.

so for the lavalock...chicken or egg question...should you place the lavalockon the lid or on the barrel or does it even matter? TY Kevin
Id recommend the lid. It will eventually compress and flatten a bit leaving a raised portion that very slightly protrudes into the barrel and then compressed where the lid meets the barrel. From an average joes perspective I think it works best that way but absolutely could be wrong.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back