Front Sear or Reverse Sear

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I've been on BBQ/grilling forums for at least 15 years now and have been aware of the "reverse sear" on steaks and chops in most of that time. Years ago, I had gone down the path of reverse searing and have come back to the traditional front sear.

What method do you prefer, and why?

If I’m trying to get some smoke flavor I reverse sear because you get more smoke on colder meat. If I’m not looking for smoke I’ll do it either way.

Honestly, have been so happy with reverse sear have yet to try anything else.

I’ve tried both, and for the most part it’s a coin flip… as far as the steak is concerned. Having said that, I prefer reverse sear as I don’t find that a reverse sear steak needs to rest, which means I can enjoy my steak as hot as it comes off the grill.

Reverse sear, as well. In addition to the sizzling and juiciness, it also allows me the time to cook everything else that's for dinner and not have to rush to get everything done at one time. If things are running later than expected, does that ever happen???, I can slow down the slow cook of what's going to get seared to even the timeline up some.

I just grilled a steak tonight. A prime NY. I thought about this thread while grilling it.

So, here was my method. I loosely packed the 10"x4" round charcoal basket with a mix of oak and mesquite lump and lit it with my weed burner. The basked was placed on the diffuser rack to raise it close to the grate within a komado style cooker. I let the fire stablize and added 4 pieces of mesquite wood in the basket along the sides. My cast iron grill grate was placed about 2" above the fire and allowed to heat to temperature before adding the wood. I pulled the steak from the fridge and immediately generously seasoned with my rub. The steak was placed on the grill and the lid was closed. The intake vent was throttled to control the fire to just below a flame. The wood was generating a lot of good blue smoke and flareup was controlled by the air flow. The steak was grilled approximately 2 minutes per side and flipped again and grilled a bit less than 2 minutes per side again until the middle temperature was about 97-99F. I put it on a plate that had a piece of foil that immediately covered it grill-side. I brought it into the kitchen and set it on the counter for 10 minutes. The temperature after 10 minutes measured 125 ish. I cut it in half. It was about a true medium rare.

The reason I went back to the front sear, is control of the finished temperature. If I cooked a reverse sear too far at low temperature, it would over cook during the reverse sear. With a front sear, I can sear and decide if I need further slower cooking to get the right temperature.

I ate half, but here's the other half. It wasn't done on the Bull, but it was sooooooo good.

20210325_195557.jpg
20210325_195651.jpg

Last edited:
I just grilled a steak tonight. A prime NY. I thought about this thread while grilling it.

So, here was my method. I loosely packed the 10"x4" round charcoal basket with a mix of oak and mesquite lump and lit it with my weed burner. The basked was placed on the diffuser rack to raise it close to the grate within a komado style cooker. I let the fire stablize and added 4 pieces of mesquite wood in the basket along the sides. My cast iron grill grate was placed about 2" above the fire and allowed to heat to temperature before adding the wood. I pulled the steak from the fridge and immediately generously seasoned with my rub. The steak was placed on the grill and the lid was closed. The intake vent was throttled to control the fire to just below a flame. The wood was generating a lot of good blue smoke and flareup was controlled by the air flow. The steak was grilled approximately 2 minutes per side and flipped again and grilled a bit less than 2 minutes per side again until the middle temperature was about 97-99F. I put it on a plate that had a piece of foil that immediately covered it grill-side. I brought it into the kitchen and set it on the counter for 10 minutes. The temperature after 10 minutes measured 125 ish. I cut it in half. It was about a true medium rare.

The reason I went back to the front sear, is control of the finished temperature. If I cooked a reverse sear too far at low temperature, it would over cook during the reverse sear. With a front sear, I can sear and decide if I need further slower cooking to get the right temperature.

I ate half, but here's the other half. It wasn't done on the Bull, but it was sooooooo good.

View attachment 9109View attachment 9108
Great Info!

For me it depends on "work flow".

Most weekends I'll have my 590 and my Weber going at the same time, and depending on what I'm grilling and timing , something is going on the open flame either before or after visiting the smoker....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back