Bull Forget To Turn Off the Bull

I would assume the fire pot still burns, even though I'm shooting blanks, so to speak.

The low temp alert is fine, assuming I have my phone still with me... Just making sure I make sure!

I would assume the fire pot still burns, even though I'm shooting blanks, so to speak.

The low temp alert is fine, assuming I have my phone still with me... Just making sure I make sure!
Asking for a friend? 🤪 I would think it would run until it had no fuel, but worth an ask it.

Asking for a friend? 🤪 I would think it would run until it had no fuel, but worth an ask it.
Correct. The igniter only runs long enough to light the grill. The igniter never comes back on again as long as the grill is functioning properly. It will power on again in an attempt to re-fire the grill, but if it is out of pellets it will eventually shut down with an error code that it could not reach temp.

OK, I swear this is hypothetical at the moment but has anyone "forgotten" to cycle down or turn off their bull after cooking?

Curious as to what would happen... Anyone?
I haven’t been that far with my Bull but I had with my old Traeger. It uses up all the pellets and just burn’s itself out. No harm, no foul.

You do need to prime it with pellets before your next cook.

I would recommend a good, thorough cleaning and vacuuming if you do burn through all the pellets. It’s one of the few times you can vacuum out the hopper and all of its pellet dust on the Bull.

I did this last night with my 1250. Pulled the food to take it in and forgot to shut down the grill. Came to me about half way through dinner, so was only left on about a half four.

You're just seasoning your grill for the next cook.

Another beer please. 🍻

I've done two scenarios:
  1. Served dinner and forgot to shut off. No big deal. Just wasted some pellets creating a nice space heater in my backyard that no one was there to see.
  2. Went to bed thinking, "That should be plenty of pellets to get through the night." I wasted an perfectly good pork butt, but the Recteq showed no adverse signs.
The Recteq app mostly will warn you that your temperature is dropping, but I have also now learned to set a minimum alarm on my Thermoworks Signals air probe to start squawking if the temperature starts dropping significantly below the intended minimum temperature just in case the Recteq app decided to take the night off for notifications.

In the end, it's a great opportunity to clean out your pellet bin and hopefully not ruin your cook like I did in scenario #2. The grill itself will be just fine.

As a side note, I have been nudging Thermoworks to allow you to choose your alert tone like many other apps to be something wildly obnoxious from the phone ringtone library to wake me out of a dead sleep. Both the Recteq app and the Thermoworks app have these "pleasant" subtle tones that don't penetrate my snoring on overnight cooks.

They should limit the cook time in the app and shut down the grill after.... I dunno, 60 minutes? You know - safety, carbon emissions and meat is bad for you anyway - so...

1709772796013.png

I’m with you Jim, even the darn grocery store says i need an app to get the sale prices. They must make $ off these things.
Pretty much every phone app makes money…number of members opens the door to advertising money. Grocery store apps track everything you buy and target their advertising and specials to your spending / purchase habits.

The worst part about non-vendor-specific apps is they collect data and sell it. If people read the privacy policies, they would see that. Google has made gobs of money letting you use Gmail for free, their apps for free, etc, etc. they collect your data and sell it. Have been for decades. 😖

I used to get bent at the idea of them with my data.. But then realized-----.. GREAT-- READ MY data... Target me with the ads that fit what ive been looking for(better then ads for stuff i could care less about-- its not like the adds stop)... I love when i look for something and then about a hour later i get a email for that specific thing.. Im happy to let google or apple or whomever do the work to find the things i need... Ok google--searching --blonde.. 5'8"-- rich that likes to bbq... Go find it for me..

I used to get bent at the idea of them with my data.. But then realized-----.. GREAT-- READ MY data... Target me with the ads that fit what ive been looking for(better then ads for stuff i could care less about-- its not like the adds stop)... I love when i look for something and then about a hour later i get a email for that specific thing.. Im happy to let google or apple or whomever do the work to find the things i need... Ok google--searching --blonde.. 5'8"-- rich that likes to bbq... Go find it for me..
Have you ever had that creepy moment when the targeted ads are there before you ever searched for it, like you were just gonna type in Hawaii - but it's already there for you?

Have you ever had that creepy moment when the targeted ads are there before you ever searched for it, like you were just gonna type in Hawaii - but it's already there for you?
My wife swears that her iPhone is spying on her, even though we have the security features locked down. She claims this happens to her all the time!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back