For those who have sealed their lids....

Keleent

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
  3. Bullseye
Did it completely seal all smoke or did it still smoke? The 340 and 700, bfg etc seem to have an elevated side barrel when the lid closes causing leaking from the top and bottom. From what research I've done Rectec has said its not needed and that it needs to breath etc etc.. we all know there's two sides to it.

I've seen someone use the tape for the top and bottom and used RTV to "form" to the unequal barrel level because if you put the tape all around, it still has a few mm of unevenness on the sides compared to the top- or does the gasket form to it overtime?
Has anyone done this ?

I've also seen on some Z grills that they put a washer underneath the hinge to let the bottom seal better if the sealant from the top..
Here:

Are some gaskets more "forming" to uneven surfaces?

I used Fireblack months ago and it still leaks smoke. Not as bad, but I still get the heat/smoke discoloration on the bottom of the lid. I was thinking of doubling it, as it is 1/8" thick. It almost seems that on the 340 the lid doesn't completely close. I have played with the hinges off and on without much luck. Will be interesting to see any comments on the subject.

I only put the fire black seal on the top and bottom edges of the lid. The barrel is recessed in those areas. On the side of the lid the barrel end caps area are raised up by the thickness of the cap. Sealing the lid this way prevented the smoke discoloration on the front and top areas of the grill and also let's it breathe a little from the sides of the lid.

I used LavaLock Nomex felt 1/8" thick by 1/2 wide to seal my door. I put it all the way around. The weight of the door compresses it in the high areas and it has settled in nicely.

I don't know why it would need to breathe. There's a 3" diameter exhaust stack, a forced air fan, and a square inch of opening for the grease drain. It has a lot of leakage with all that alone. The gasket mainly just keeps the drum cleaner. The burn/temp characteristics didn't change.

I agree with Roanie...I used Lavalock. Everything is great other than one spot that was my fault in application. I fixed that spot with leftover Lavalock and it's good to go. I think I'll let the seal stick out farther past the edge when I redo it someday. I think that would give it more "sealability"... If the weight crease was dead center. No regrets from sealing mine.

Don't know why it needs to breath either but that is what RecTec says.
Personally,I think certain RecTec statements are do to phone calls they receive. And to minimize their responses and time spent on them, they put out a generic statement . Jmo...
Example: Where's the light switch?
Why isn't my smoker 100% perfection for the remainder of my life time?.... Hahaha

Restricting flow isn't good, you will generate less smoke and more creosote.

As others have stated, I don't believe that the lid was "designed to help it breath".. I feel like that's the explanation companies give ( not only RecTec but Traeger and other companies) when they don't want to admit to saving costs during manufacturing the barrel and end caps. If they added more material to the top and bottom to even it out- it would cost more.

MAYBE at extreme high temps it benefits from having a leaking door But I don't see how that can be when the air is being pushed out and not sucked in... There's also a probe window that can be utilized for extra airflow that has a higher surface area than the sides of the doors.

I got the fireblack so it would be less noticable. Makes the door feel awesome when you close it. I even put a strip on the auger lid, no more clanking metal to metal noise. The leak free door means no more smoke residue. I have not noticed any difference in grill performance. For $15 it's a slam dunk.

I got the fireblack so it would be less noticable. Makes the door feel awesome when you close it. I even put a strip on the auger lid, no more clanking metal to metal noise. The leak free door means no more smoke residue. I have not noticed any difference in grill performance. For $15 it's a slam dunk.
How much of a seal did it make? Was it completely leak free even compensating for the raised side barrel ?

I sealed my 590 and glad i did! held temps from 180 all the way to 225 with zero issues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back