Foil or no Foil?

Matthew.Cullen

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
I used foil fastidiously when my RT-700 was new but stopped after about eight months. For the last eighteen months I have gone without and the drip pan is seasoned just like my cast iron and carbon steel cookware. I clean the drip pan frequently with plastic putty-knives for soft deposits and dish soap with hot water for the rest. The drip pan remains thoroughly seasoned after cleaning. Is there a downside to my approach? What are the benefits to using foil to keep the drip pan clean other than it looks nice? FYI, the oxalis acid in Bar Keepers Friend is very effective at removing built up seasoning should anyone feel the need to restore that shiny, brand new shine to his or her drip pan or other stainless steel cookware. And, it is in green leafy vegetables, strawberries, rumbaed, etc. - is food safe.

I used foil fastidiously when my RT-700 was new but stopped after about eight months. For the last eighteen months I have gone without and the drip pan is seasoned just like my cast iron and carbon steel cookware. I clean the drip pan frequently with plastic putty-knives for soft deposits and dish soap with hot water for the rest. The drip pan remains thoroughly seasoned after cleaning. Is there a downside to my approach? What are the benefits to using foil to keep the drip pan clean other than it looks nice? FYI, the oxalis acid in Bar Keepers Friend is very effective at removing built up seasoning should anyone feel the need to restore that shiny, brand new shine to his or her drip pan or other stainless steel cookware. And, it is in green leafy vegetables, strawberries, rumbaed, etc. - is food safe.
Whatever works for you is all that matters. I like to foil, which keeps the oil residue down to a minimum, in case I decide to do a hot n fast where cleanliness matters to prevent a grease fire.

I also stopped using foil about a year into having my RT. For me, it's so much easier to deal with. Plus, when I did foil, most of the time it seemed like the grease found its way inbetween the layers of foil. A simple scrape with a putty knife and occasionally album off and it's fine.

I may have to try the naked approach. I agree with Bytor in that grease gets under the foil anyway. And if it's windy, handling that large sheet of foil can be a real PIA!

I may have to try the naked approach. I agree with Bytor in that grease gets under the foil anyway. And if it's windy, handling that large sheet of foil can be a real PIA!

Fold the edges OVER the lip of the drip tray, contrary to the Rectec video instructions. This prevents it from getting under. It never "blows the foil off".

I wrap the drip pan tightly with heavy duty foil. And then I take another piece of foil (interior dimensions, not edges) and lay it on top. Wind is not an issue for me. When I'm done cooking, I remove the top sheet and replace it. Depending upon what I'm cooking I can get away doing that for about 2-3 cooks before I replacing the bottom sheet of foil.

I foil......I just think it is easier. When I used to use the grill more for grilling rather than just smoking, I can see why people would stop foiling as it can get expensive but I just use my Bull to smoke now and Bullseye to grill.

Don’t want to engage in an argument on this, because that’s not productive at all. But if you buy a nice stainless steel 6-7” putty knife, you pay about the same as a roll of aluminum foil. The difference is you will never wear the putty knife out, while the foil will need to be replaced and dumped in the land fill over, and over, and over. And the foil drip pan still looks like crap, just like the scraped drip pan, when you peel the messy foil off.

This is why I foil:
tenor.gif

Don’t want to engage in an argument on this, because that’s not productive at all. But if you buy a nice stainless steel 6-7” putty knife, you pay about the same as a roll of aluminum foil. The difference is you will never wear the putty knife out, while the foil will need to be replaced and dumped in the land fill over, and over, and over. And the foil drip pan still looks like crap, just like the scraped drip pan, when you peel the messy foil off.

What ya starting here Greg :) .. Just kidding.

I am so leaning toward no foil but I'm cheap. I'll probably use my spackle knife or my flat top blade in stock.. LOL.

episode 2 boxing GIF by Archie Comics

I fill the hopper and when almost empty I change the foil, clean the bottom side of the grate, vac out the firepot and scrape all the grease out of the trough and rod out the grease tube.

RT-1250. I do a complete clean after I run a hopper full of pellets. Have tried both foil, no foil. I prefer no foil. The drip pan is easy to clean while it's out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back