Bull Flame out and Minimum feed rate questions

@vegsmoke Hello and welcome. I’m also in Ca. My Bull is set at 3.0 and no issues. However it has been my experience with my old pellet grills that flameouts can often be caused by the funneling you see in your hopper. If you are using pellets that are inconsistent in size, say .5” to 1.5” as often seen in traeger pellets. It sometimes doesn’t allow the flow into the auger which creates an air pocket thus the flameout. I use lumberjack pellets which are all consistent in size and feed well. What brand pellets are you using?

@vegsmoke Hello and welcome. I’m also in Ca. My Bull is set at 3.0 and no issues. However it has been my experience with my old pellet grills that flameouts can often be caused by the funneling you see in your hopper. If you are using pellets that are inconsistent in size, say .5” to 1.5” as often seen in traeger pellets. It sometimes doesn’t allow the flow into the auger which creates an air pocket thus the flameout. I use lumberjack pellets which are all consistent in size and feed well. What brand pellets are you using?
I was using Kingsford. I attached the picture of the pellets from that cook.

Attachments

• CC0D8397-2306-4C2F-B8D0-B66297862B82.jpeg
    CC0D8397-2306-4C2F-B8D0-B66297862B82.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 82
Flameout relates to the fire going out. One potential cause as suggested before is ash build-up in the fire pit. Can block airflow and prevent having enough pellets to keep the fire going. Vacuuming the firepot regularly is standard maintenance for pellet grills.

The auger minimum feed rate is also possible at lower temps, which is why there's a setting in the app. Does not affect higher temps.

Funneling of the pellets basically means that pellets stick to the walls of the hopper and to each other. This can lead to a funnel shaped hole in the pile of pellets. (It's something particles can do. Physics is interesting.) In an extreme case it could lead to pellets not making it to the auger at all. Which means no fire.

I was using Kingsford. I attached the picture of the pellets from that cook.
I had the same experience with pit boss. Some pellets were up 1.5 inches and would stop the pellets from flowing thereby causing the temperature to drop.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back