First Tomahawk

Dwight Smokem

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
So, I decided to pick up one of the 2.5lb Choice Tomahawk ribeyes from Sam's Club. I selected one with good fat strip down the middle to retain as much flavor and prevent drying out on longer cook. Seasoned with St. Elmo's Steakhouse Seasoning, 45 minutes at 215 to get max smoke penetration, then up to 230 until it reached 119. Shut down the Bull and allowed steak to stay on for 15 mins while the bullseye preheated. I wanted to stop the rise in temp bc i really wanted a good char on bullseye in Riot mode without risking the "overcook" some claim on here with riot mode. Seared each side to color and texture. I swear i've never had a steak taste so close to the texture and moisture of a brisket point. Maybe it was the fat content, maybe the cook, either way some of the best to come off the Rectec duo.

29E6E824-CA35-4A8B-B532-9CB023C3DBB1.jpeg

44CA81C8-C7C5-4D90-A9C2-DD7DB8F0B229.jpeg

87F90E95-C7BC-4C5B-AA2A-DC0F55D93695.jpeg

013BC352-7651-448B-B604-ACA655FC9B42.jpeg

500EF937-CE5C-4BA4-9440-31E1492FFAC7.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks awesome! Once we started reverse searing our steaks my Wife said that was the only way she wanted them done from now on!

Looks great - I know you didn't cook it to 219 - what did you really mean? 129?
I've only done Tomahawks once, and I was too chicken to grill it all the way.
I did Sous-vide to 130 and then took them outside for a good sear.

So, I decided to pick up one of the 2.5lb Choice Tomahawk ribeyes from Sam's Club. I selected one with good fat strip down the middle to retain as much flavor and prevent drying out on longer cook. Seasoned with St. Elmo's Steakhouse Seasoning, 45 minutes at 215 to get max smoke penetration, then up to 230 until it reached 219. Shut down the Bull and allowed steak to stay on for 15 mins while the bullseye preheated. I wanted to stop the rise in temp bc i really wanted a good char on bullseye in Riot mode without risking the "overcook" some claim on here with riot mode. Seared each side to color and texture. I swear i've never had a steak taste so close to the texture and moisture of a brisket point. Maybe it was the fat content, maybe the cook, either way some of the best to come off the Rectec duo.

View attachment 17597

View attachment 17598

View attachment 17599

View attachment 17600

View attachment 17601
Damn! That looks perfect!!

Looks great - I know you didn't cook it to 219 - what did you really mean? 129?
I've only done Tomahawks once, and I was too chicken to grill it all the way.
I did Sous-vide to 130 and then took them outside for a good sear.
Haha, good catch. i did 119, not 129, then the sear on Bullseye and a 10 min rest on hot plate. brought the edges to a true medium and center to right in between medium rare on its way up the hill to medium. With fattier cuts like this ribeye I like a med rare +. I find it's hard to properly render the fat and reduce "chewiness " at the same med rare i would do wagyu, or filet/strip.

Looks great. I recently tried my first tomahawk as well. It was a little too rare and after trying to fix that I was little too medium, but taste was pretty good. I know it really did not happen since I dont have pictures...lol.

Looks great. I recently tried my first tomahawk as well. It was a little too rare and after trying to fix that I was little too medium, but taste was pretty good. I know it really did not happen since I dont have pictures...lol.
I swear, I take more pictures of my meat than Brett Favre.

On the fringe of a hijack, can anyone tell me why you went with a Tomahawk steak vs. a Cowboy steak other than bone presentation? I have done a bunch of Cowboy steaks, but figured I didn't need to pay for a big inedible handle.

Checkbox on my list of things to do, for fun, so I can say yep - done it…
Yup, that is the answer I suspected (and why I will also probably try it at least once.) You all did inspire me though as I'm going to do a cowboy steak for dinner tonight.

They say you shouldn't go shopping when hungry. I'm thinking I shouldn't visit this forum when hungry either.

Yup, that is the answer I suspected (and why I will also probably try it at least once.) You all did inspire me though as I'm going to do a cowboy steak for dinner tonight.

They say you shouldn't go shopping when hungry. I'm thinking I shouldn't visit this forum when hungry either.
Yeah, I can't imagine anything better about it besides the appearance since the exposed bone contains no meat. But I also prefer to drink coffee from a nice mug with a handle over a cup, so there's that.

I got my Tomahawk from a family farm. Notice it's not just a clean bone all the way down. There's some tasty bits all along it. I probably paid enough for that bone to get a 16 or 20 oz RibEye.

Everyone should pay the big bucks to cook a Tomahawk (or two) once in their life. Why anyone would pay big bucks to do it a second time is beyond me!
@Greg Jones, I’m not sure I understand why someone would pay a premium price for a bunch of extra bone even once. :rolleyes: I do understand that meat cooked next to bone does get some additional flavor, but I’m not sure that a scraped (Frenched) bone will add that much extra. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The hot plated with sizzling added garlic herb butter is a nice touch to these too. Like they do the porterhouses at Peter Lugars!

I find there is a little something beneficial on that bone and that is that it does seem to protect the meat a bit from over cooking. So when i probe in the middle and get my temp I tend to have some on edges a little darker/more cooked (good for my daugthers) and some on the bone a little less (good for my son and me).

This steak looks GREAT!!!! Good work!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back