First cook gone slightly wrong… question

“Sirloin tip roast” and Picanha are not the same cut. Picanha is actually “Sirloin Cap Roast” In general, STR is even leaner than Picanha with less marbling. And, STR is actually cut from the round/rump area adjacent to the sirloin.

Last edited:
Have you cooked sirloin tip roast in the past! I ask because IME it is generally not a very tender cut of meat to start with. They are very lean and have little to no marbling to break down the fibrous tissue.

The general method for cooking roasts like sirloin tip is to sear the outside first to get a good crust and seal in the juices (25-30 minutes at 400-450F), then finish it at 300F to the desired internal temp. And, IME, roasts like this tend to toughen up when cooked beyond an internal temp of 135-140F (medium rare). Even then, they need to be sliced thinly, and across the grain.

Others may have had a different experience, but after trying it once or twice years ago, I decided it wasn't worth the effort. YMMV
Searing does not seal in juices. That's a myth that's been debunked long ago. What it does do is add flavor to the meat.

Searing does not seal in juices. That's a myth that's been debunked long ago. What it does do is add flavor to the meat.
Yes, I should not have said “seal.” In fact, searing only reduces the loss of moisture (aka “juice”). It also does add flavor. I should have been more careful with my choice of words.

"What is a sirloin tip roast good for?
The sirloin tip roast is flavorful, but like most lean cuts, it can be tough and should be braised or stewed. The sirloin tip roast can also be used for kebabs or slowly oven-roasted at a low temperature.Nov 13, 2023"

"What is a sirloin tip roast good for?
The sirloin tip roast is flavorful, but like most lean cuts, it can be tough and should be braised or stewed. The sirloin tip roast can also be used for kebabs or slowly oven-roasted at a low temperature.Nov 13, 2023"
Sliced thin for stir fry, Philly sandwiches, and the like.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back