First cook gone slightly wrong… question

jercam88

Grill(s) owned
  1. Patio Legend 410
Hello everyone. Just did my first cook in my patio 410. A 2 1/2 pound sirloin tip roast.
I marinated it overnight with rub seasoning.
preheated the grill to 250 and then added and cooked the roast for 5 1/2 hours at 250.
i removed the roast when the internal temperature reached 150. We prefer it be medium well and figured 150 would work.
when removed we rested it in foil for half an hour.
upon slicing …only ends were medium well…the center was medium To medium rare.
the ends were not chewy but the center was mostly chewy.
bottom line is that the roast really wasn’t that good.
what did I do wrong ?
any help greatly appreciated.

Have you cooked sirloin tip roast in the past! I ask because IME it is generally not a very tender cut of meat to start with. They are very lean and have little to no marbling to break down the fibrous tissue.

The general method for cooking roasts like sirloin tip is to sear the outside first to get a good crust and seal in the juices (25-30 minutes at 400-450F), then finish it at 300F to the desired internal temp. And, IME, roasts like this tend to toughen up when cooked beyond an internal temp of 135-140F (medium rare). Even then, they need to be sliced thinly, and across the grain.

Others may have had a different experience, but after trying it once or twice years ago, I decided it wasn't worth the effort. YMMV

Thanks for the reply. No ive never cooked this type of meat before. I reviewed a few online recommendations from various grill chefs and then followed their instructions. I failed somewhere along the way…or, the cut of meat was a poor choice.

Most cuts of beef are best at medium rare/medium rare except for brisket and chuck, however I am also not familiar with that cut of meat, I only cook what's familiar to me or the many great and experienced folks here. The quality of meat itself and not cutting correctly against the grain, will also make a big difference. If at first you don't succeed........well you know the rest. :)

What did you use for a thermometer? If the center read 150 but it wasn’t really done, that’s what I’d look at. Man of us use 3rd party thermometers as opposed to the ones that came with the grill. There is also a procedure for testing and adjusting the ones it came with.

I’ve not done one on the smoker but when I make Eye Of The Round in the oven I have to cut the slices very thin so they seem tender, something like 1/8”. I’ve never cooked one to 150 so that may not be valid.

Last edited:
i used the thermometer that came with the patio 410. Maybe my placement of it was an issue ? I put it in the side, about 2-3 inches deep.

I’ve not done one on the smoker but when I make Eye Of The Round in the oven I have to cut the slices very thin so they seem tender, something like 1/8”. I’ve never cooked one to 150 so that may not be valid.
I've got 4 EOR that are going to become jerky really soon. However they are OK pan fried, about the thickness of a deck of cards. I run them through the tenderizer twice, turning 90* for the second time through.

i used the thermometer that came with the patio 410. Maybe my placement of it was an issue ? I put it in the side, about 2-3 inches deep.
The RT probe measures the temp at the tip, so needs to be inserted to where the tip is in the center of the thickest part. And, IME, the RT probes are not all that accurate. As @padlin00 said, many of us use third-party temperature measuring devices instead.

You can check your RT probe accurany with a large glass of ice water (should read close to 32F) or a pot of boiling water—temp adjusted for altitude—(212F at sea level). It is good to have a quality instant-read thermometer in your cooking toolkit as a reference as well.

I've got 4 EOR that are going to become jerky really soon. However they are OK pan fried, about the thickness of a deck of cards. I run them through the tenderizer twice, turning 90* for the second time through.

The best jerky I’ve had was from a small country store up in the hills, he only used EOR. Sadly the store closed up and is now someone’s home.

Like this…or something like this…

20E54BF1-1E37-4857-ADBB-87D340418577.jpeg

I remember the foil balls... The sesame seeds stay glued on after smoking? And does that signify Teriyaki flavor?

I remember the foil balls... The sesame seeds stay glued on after smoking? And does that signify Teriyaki flavor?
Yeah the stuff on the left was teriyaki. The right was the Dr. Pepper jalapeño recipe from Hey Grill Hey. Needed some snacks for hunting season last fall. Foil balls were just a little redneck engineering. Turned out great though. My young nephews have been begging me to make some with/for them

Foil and duct tape; what would life be without those two things? 🤣
Foil for the rabbit ears. Duct tape can't fix stupid....but it can muffle it!:ROFLMAO::cool:

EDIT:

Sorry OP. Didn't mean to jump in to help derail the post.

I have never done a sirloin tip yet. But as other's have posted, check the calibration on your probe, use a third party probe to verify temps and make sure the probe is in the thickest part of the meat. Cutting across the grain will make the meat more tender. It shortens the fibers. Cutting with the grain lengthens the fibers and makes the meat chewy. I prefer beef cooked Medium Rare (125-135) on most cuts.

Last edited:
Just ordered a couple racks, hopefully they fit the 340.
I bought a chinesium dehydrator that actually works pretty well. But.........it's always set at 160F (which is as high as it goes). It works pretty well.

So, you can use a plain old oven, or your 340. If neither get down to 160F, 170F probably wouldn't hurt.

To do it over again, I probably would still buy the dehydrator. I think it was $150.00 delivered, maybe a little less.

Last edited:
Now that you mention it @TheRicker I think you're right! I forgot all about that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back