Stampede First brisket!!

Gatsby174

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So after smoking a whole chicken and a pork belly to get the hang of the new rig, I tried my first ever brisket. It was an 11lb packer that I trimmed and used mustard to bind the salt/pepper/ garlic powder rub.

Brisket went on, fat side down at 10:20pm set on max smoke. I got up and turned the temp up to 225 at 1am. When I got up at 7 the internal temp was 165 so I pulled it off and wrapped in butcher paper. It went right back on, still set at 225. Finally hit 203 at 5:00! It rested packed in towels in a cooler for an hour and a half.

Best brisket I have ever tasted, and it could be cut with a fork once sliced into 1/4" slabs.

Absolutely amazing smoker!

For those who really want lots of smoke flavor, I highly recommend setting it on lo (extreme smoke) for the first 3 hours. The temp on this setting fluctuated between 180 and 200, that's how they get the rolling blue smoke!

My wife is a brisket snob, and she said it was even better then the fancy places we visited in Texas. I'll take that compliment!

Attachments

• 20200508_183824.jpg
    20200508_183824.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 137
  • 20200508_183639.jpg
    20200508_183639.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 107
  • 20200508_184120.jpg
    20200508_184120.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 100
Congrats on the brisket cook. It is very satisfying to get one perfect. Yes the Rec Tec is a great smoker for sure.

looks great! what did you rub it with?

A mix of 50/50 salt and pepper and then added a couple tablespoons of garlic granules to the mixture.

I forgot to add that it was COLD here for the overnight smoke and it held temps exactly as anticipated.

I've used black ops rubs now for awhile. I wanna do just a S&P once.

So after smoking a whole chicken and a pork belly to get the hang of the new rig, I tried my first ever brisket. It was an 11lb packer that I trimmed and used mustard to bind the salt/pepper/ garlic powder rub.

Brisket went on, fat side down at 10:20pm set on max smoke. I got up and turned the temp up to 225 at 1am. When I got up at 7 the internal temp was 165 so I pulled it off and wrapped in butcher paper. It went right back on, still set at 225. Finally hit 203 at 5:00! It rested packed in towels in a cooler for an hour and a half.

Best brisket I have ever tasted, and it could be cut with a fork once sliced into 1/4" slabs.

Absolutely amazing smoker!

For those who really want lots of smoke flavor, I highly recommend setting it on lo (extreme smoke) for the first 3 hours. The temp on this setting fluctuated between 180 and 200, that's how they get the rolling blue smoke!

My wife is a brisket snob, and she said it was even better then the fancy places we visited in Texas. I'll take that compliment!
Looks excellent, Great smoke ring and bark. In the old days, "people" used to sit outside by their smokers making sure the smoker held temp. Now, a whole new plan. Did you use the alarms or did they work? It's great when a plan comes together. ??

I can only hope your wife was one of "those" that bitched about your purchase. And as the deliciousness ran across her lips , you got to rub it in her face how worth it is was ! ( Lovingly of course)...lol

Great job! Glad your wife's happy. Wouldn't it be nice if they were happy with all of our toys?

Thanks for the kind words, sure is great eating when the plan comes together!

Gotbbq - I live in the middle of nowhere so wifi isn't an option. I crawled my but outta bed to make the temp changes. But... it certainly was worth it. If I had access to wifi it sure would be convenient!!

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back