Bull Feed Rate

NightHawk

Can someone please explain why the pellet feed rate would need to be adjusted? I understand it's a temp thing, but I don't understand why? I'm north of Dallas where it's hot and humid as hell. I just did first burn in at 400. I also used a Thermoworks professional probe and temp showed 5-10 degrees lower than RecTec offset probe. I understand how to correct it. So why would anyone need to adjust feed rate? Is this for adjusting smoke output?

It's not to adjust the amount of smoke, or to get higher temps.

The adjustment is for the minimum feed rate of adding pellets to the firepot (ie, the slowest they'll be added). Say you're trying to keep a low temp like 200°F but the grill is going higher. It could be due to the outside temperature, or sun, or hotter burning pellets. In that case, lowering the feed rate could help, by putting in less fuel.

If your grill is running fine, then don't mess with it.

Calibrating the probes is a different thing. There are some YouTube videos with instructions.

It is rather interesting. My RT-700 shipped in early June with the minimum at 6.5. That works well for me, as it rarely gets above 80-85 here. I have run at 225 easily and been able to even hold 180 with not too much drift upward. I would guess that would be tougher elsewhere without dialing down to a lower setting.

Yes sir, I got it last night. Assembled this morning. Calibrated the offset probe and the 2 meat probes.. so far, everything is right on the money. I'm going to try a brisket this weekend (trimmed point only since it's just me and wife). I'm aware I sound like a kid in a candy store, but I've never been more excited to have this new toy.
It is rather interesting. My RT-700 shipped in early June with the minimum at 6.5. That works well for me, as it rarely gets above 80-85 here. I have run at 225 easily and been able to even hold 180 with not too much drift upward. I would guess that would be tougher elsewhere without dialing down to a lower setting.

It is one awesome toy. Mine has been running nonstop.

You may need that lower minimum feed rate in DFW in the summer. We used to live there and it can be darn hot. The internal temperate on your grill may be well over 100 before you light it up.

As 3 or 3.5 seems to be what folks are using in the heat, do we bump them up to 6 or so when it cools down?
I leave my Bull set to 30 or 3.0, same thing all year in Connecticut, it could be over a 100 degrees and humid and below o degrees and snowing and never have temperature overshoots or flameouts in the fire pot.

I’m in south-centralish Kentucky and I leave mine on the Bull at 3.5 all-year round. I’ve not had any temp issues, high or low, with that setting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcharette
Back