Bullseye Feed Rate Question and other stuff

CosmicMiami

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
I saw a feed rate thread on another section. Was wondering if that discussion is applicable to the Bullseye.

I live in Florida. Consequently, all my smokes, except for maybe a few days of the year, are done in warm weather > 70F.

What are the reasons for lowering feed rate? Asking for a newbie.

Also, I'm curious if there is a way of calibrating my temp probe and meat probe. I did a smoke last week and my calibrated meat thermometer was reading about 15 degrees lower than the onboard meat probe.

Thanks.

I saw a feed rate thread on another section. Was wondering if that discussion is applicable to the Bullseye.

I live in Florida. Consequently, all my smokes, except for maybe a few days of the year, are done in warm weather > 70F.

What are the reasons for lowering feed rate? Asking for a newbie.

Also, I'm curious if there is a way of calibrating my temp probe and meat probe. I did a smoke last week and my calibrated meat thermometer was reading about 15 degrees lower than the onboard meat probe.

Thanks.
Sounds like your Bullseye is spot on. Do yourself a favor, enjoy the grill. BTW, welcome to the forum.

If the grill is functioning as it should, no adjustments are needed.
What would be the reason(s) for adjusting the feed rate?

Also, is there a way of calibrating the onboard meat probe? The kettle temp probe is accurate +/- a few degrees with my handheld Grill Grates thermometer. The meat onboard probe is off about 20F

Thx

I don't have a Bullseye so not sure this is the same but this video might help with basic understanding of the MFR. I adjusted mine as I put a faster RPM auger motor in mine so it would feed too many pellets during low cooks so I adjusted mine down. It only affects the minimum so only low cooks. If you were not able to achieve lower temps you could try to bring down the MFR.. aside if you had flameouts or not able to hold low cooks you adjust it up.

MFR-RecTeq

Last edited:

Also, is there a way of calibrating the onboard meat probe? The kettle temp probe is accurate +/- a few degrees with my handheld Grill Grates thermometer. The meat onboard probe is off about 20F

Thx
An example when MFR could matter...you have a summer day where the air temperature is 90+ and you want to run a longer cook at 225. The ambient temperature in the grill could be well over 100 before you start cooking, especially if it sits in full sun. To maintain the desired cooking temperature, you need a fairly low feed to minimize the fire. That is when the MFR could matter. I ran onto this our first summer with our 700. We had a rare day near 100 degrees and planned a lower temperature cook. The feed rate was set about as low as it could go. Everything worked fine. In most situations the MFR will not matter, unless it is turned up way too high.

An example when MFR could matter...you have a summer day where the air temperature is 90+ and you want to run a longer cook at 225. The ambient temperature in the grill could be well over 100 before you start cooking, especially if it sits in full sun. To maintain the desired cooking temperature, you need a fairly low feed to minimize the fire. That is when the MFR could matter. I ran onto this our first summer with our 700. We had a rare day near 100 degrees and planned a lower temperature cook. The feed rate was set about as low as it could go. Everything worked fine. In most situations the MFR will not matter, unless it is turned up way too high.

Thanks. SoFla days can easily hit 90s. I'm under a pergola so no direct sun but it does get warm. Thx. That's what I was looking for.

Thx
Are you saying tat the meat probe registers about 20 degrees off what a “handheld “ one would read when inserted into the meat?

Yes. My handheld is calibrated and known to be accurate.
Interesting. I have noticed that salmon is done at 125 and pork chops at 140, below the book values. I will have to try an independent meat probe.

Interesting. I have noticed that salmon is done at 125 and pork chops at 140, below the book values. I will have to try an independent meat probe.
Lots of folks have posted regarding their probes. There seems to be quite a range of results. Good idea to test and calibrate yours, plus match against a good handheld thermometer. I was lucky and was within a few degrees against my Javelin Pro right from the start.

Lots of folks have posted regarding their probes. There seems to be quite a range of results. Good idea to test and calibrate yours, plus match against a good handheld thermometer. I was lucky and was within a few degrees against my Javelin Pro right from the start.

I guess I am lucky as well.. never more than a few degrees from my Thermopen which is what I reply on in the end. If it were more I'd probably dig in but so far have not had the need. I use the OEM probes to monitor but check manually just to make sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back