Bullseye Fan cycling on & off

Hogman3

Military Veteran
I am trying to cook a tri-tip on my still new Bullseye. I set the temp at 225° for a slow cook. Is it normal operation for the fan to cycle on & off every few seconds? It didn’t do this when I cooked at 400-500°. I’m a newbie with pellet grills, so don’t poke too much fun at me. TIA for any & all advice/recommendations.

Yep. Fan cycles to maintain the temp.

Yep. Fan runs all the time on higher temps to keep the pellets burning. On/off cycle to try to keep temp down, letting the pellets burn longer vs hotter. I’ve never used my bullseye for anything below 300 and it does fairly well keeping 300-310.

Yep. Fan runs all the time on higher temps to keep the pellets burning. On/off cycle to try to keep temp down, letting the pellets burn longer vs hotter. I’ve never used my bullseye for anything below 300 and it does fairly well keeping 300-310.
Thanks, that makes sense. I bought this grill mostly for grilling, but I thought I would see how well it works on low.

Follow up to my previous post concerning fan cycling on & off. My tri-tip turned out rather well if I do say so myself. I used Kinder’s Buttery Steakhouse rub and cooked it at 225° until internal temp reached 120°. I then bumped it up to 500° until internal temp reached 145° And removed it from the grill, covered it with foil, and let it rest for 15 minutes. It was nice and tender and tasty.

611ED85C-021C-4CFE-9615-4132B2A5A886.jpeg

0140E3D8-793C-42F6-9FC7-CDED76D163FB.jpeg

Looks really good.

The grill being out in the direct hot sun will also make it run much different than it being protected under cover.

Also that tri tip isn't overcooked for most of us, and it does look quite lovely.

Overcooked for a good tri-tip, but as long as you liked it, that's all that matters.
It’s not exactly how I would have cooked it for myself, but I have a wife to please, if you know what I mean.

The grill being out in the direct hot sun will also make it run much different than it being protected under cover.

Also that tri tip isn't overcooked for most of us, and it does look quite lovely.
Thank you. I would have preferred it more on the medium rare side, but I compromised and cooked it how the wifey-poo likes it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back