Stampede Are the RT-590 fan and auger variable speed?

Marshall

Military Veteran
Are the fan and auger in the 590 variable speed or does the PID controller just turn them on and off as needed?

Thanks.

I don't understand why they didn't at least use a variable speed fan.

I would suspect the following:
  1. Variable speed fans are more expensive
  2. You're adding more exponential variables to the PID logic
When the controller detects temperature, it is turning the auger and fan off and on to maintain the desired temperature. Adding variables in the feed rate in the auger or CFM speed rate of the fan starts getting very complicated very quick when your only feedback is the one ambient probe. Not saying it couldn't be done, but I don't think these things are really that smart in the end. I'm also unsure of the benefit as we are still just smoking and barbequing.

I'm content knowing that for the most part these things maintain reasonably stable temperatures for long periods of time without me having to tweak things throughout the cook. Other than things I've mentioned elsewhere like volatility in low cooking temperatures in high outdoor temps, I have not been disappointed in the technology.

I'm content knowing that for the most part these things maintain reasonably stable temperatures for long periods of time without me having to tweak things throughout the cook. Other than things I've mentioned elsewhere like volatility in low cooking temperatures in high outdoor temps, I have not been disappointed in the technology.
In the end that is all that really matters. If on and off do the job then I guess that is good enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back