Bull Exhaust on recteq 700 is opened all the way

Whodat

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
the exhaust on my 700 came opened all the way open. Do y’all leave it open all the way are close it ? Some video I watch guys have it closed some open all the way.

I remember seeing a reference to closing it for expected windy/rainy weather. I can't find where - it may have been one of the RT cooking videos.

Then there's this: Chimney Cap

If I'm not mistaken the manual suggests leaving the smoke stack opened enough to see the other side.

That's how I have mine as well.

Seems to me if it's closed up too much with a forced draft you'd have smoke leaking out places you won't like when cleanup time comes.

Coming from the Stick Burner world .... you use the Stack Cover to hold heat and increase the Smoke volume in the Main Cook Box
Maybe some guys are using this same concept with their Bull

Maybe some guys are using this same concept with their Bull
Perhaps, even likely, that’s the case but the results are not going to be the same. If the smokestack cover on a pellet grill is adjusted down to restrict the flow, the blower fan is just going to push the smoke out somewhere else. The grease bucket drain is the most common place followed by around the door, not good. Additionally, I would expect it‘s possible that closing the stack down could change how the food cooks as the air inside the grill is not allowed to circulate as designed.

Perhaps, even likely, that’s the case but the results are not going to be the same. If the smokestack cover on a pellet grill is adjusted down to restrict the flow, the blower fan is just going to push the smoke out somewhere else. The grease bucket drain is the most common place followed by around the door, not good. Additionally, I would expect it‘s possible that closing the stack down could change how the food cooks as the air inside the grill is not allowed to circulate as designed.
I used to close the smokestack cover after every cook but once I forgot to open it before starting the grill. luckily I monitor the grill closely during startup and noticed smoke coming from the pellet bin. The pellets had begun to ignite back through the screw into the bin. I shut off the grill but smoke continued to come from the pellet bin. A quick evacuation of the pellet bin I found burning pellets in the screw drive. We cleaned the screw mechanism with a shop vac and no damage to the grill. I suggest leaving the smokestack cover in an open position and the grill lid open during startup. The grill is designed to use full airflow from the fan. Any restriction to the airflow can cause a back flow burn into the screw mechanism.

the exhaust on my 700 came opened all the way open. Do y’all leave it open all the way are close it ? Some video I watch guys have it closed some open all the way.
I just treat mine like a damper on a regular smoker. More closed on low high smoke (or if I'm using the optional smokebox) open on high heat. I also used woodstove gasket around the lid and have virtually no leaks anywhere other than the stack and grease drain.

If it was something that needed to be constantly adjusted I would think that they would provide a easier a d quicker method to adjust it.

Plus instructions to do so

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back