Bull Dry Brisket

DasCC

I've made a couple of briskets on the 700.. For the life of me I can't get a moist flat. The last one I smoked was a 20lb'er before trimming. Removed all surface fat from the point and left about a 1/4 inch on the flat. Smoked at 225 for about 13 hours and wrapped in butcher paper for an additional 4 hours. When it was probe tender, removed from heat and rested for 2 hours before slicing. The flat held together well and pulled apart easy however it was super dry.

Any ideas.... about ready to give up cooking this cut... tired of wasting money on subpar results.

4539BF1A-B4F6-460D-9813-9C4A935478E5-648-00000026EE845E6C.jpg

@DasCC sounds like you're cooking to time and not temp. I could be wrong but you didn't mention any internal temps.

Let me state I am NOT a pit master by no means, but I've done several briskets and all of them have come out extremely juicy - I've been very happy with them.

That said I would suggest smoking at or around 200-225 until the internal temp reaches 165 degrees. Then wrap in butcher paper (my preference) or aluminum foil and then finish the smoking until the internal temp reaches 195-200 degrees.

I then let my brisket rest until ready to eat. That might be 30 minutes or I've even kept them in a towel filled cooker for up to 4 hours without issue.

@DasCC where did you probe the brisket? FWIW on my brisket cooks the point will usually probe tender a lot earlier than the flat. I typically probe the thicker parts of the flat until it is probe tender regardless of what the point is doing. I’ve had a couple of points get overdone that way but the flat is usually fully rendered and juicy.

@DasCC sounds like you're cooking to time and not temp. I could be wrong but you didn't mention any internal temps.

Let me state I am NOT a pit master by no means, but I've done several briskets and all of them have come out extremely juicy - I've been very happy with them.

That said I would suggest smoking at or around 200-225 until the internal temp reaches 165 degrees. Then wrap in butcher paper (my preference) or aluminum foil and then finish the smoking until the internal temp reaches 195-200 degrees.

I then let my brisket rest until ready to eat. That might be 30 minutes or I've even kept them in a towel filled cooker for up to 4 hours without issue.

I wrapped during the stall.. around 158° on the flat. When it hit 200° it was still not that tender I would probe flat and point periodically. They were both super tender when I was around the 203/4° mark

@DasCC where did you probe the brisket? FWIW on my brisket cooks the point will usually probe tender a lot earlier than the flat. I typically probe the thicker parts of the flat until it is probe tender regardless of what the point is doing. I’ve had a couple of points get overdone that way but the flat is usually fully rendered and juicy.
I probed both flat and point. I was mainly concerned with the flat. I figured the point could handle the extra heat due to the fat content.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back