Dreaming About A REC TEC

Qizhi

Hello RT Community,

I've been lurking on this amazing forum for awhile now. I'm coming from a Weber Genesis and a Large BGE. I need to feed a family of four in Central Texas where we love our BBQ. The Egg has been good to me, but the cooking space is a bit too small and I'm getting tired of all the fiddling and babysitting. So the Egg will be listed for sale soon.

Friends have raved on and on about their pellet grills (although none of them have a Rec Tec). I feel like I've been stalking every grilling forum available on the internet and Facebook, and have viewed way too many YouTube reviews on pellet grills thanks to the extra free time during this COVID quarantine. One thing is for certain, the passion, satisfaction, and the excitement in the Rec Tec community is both unique and infectious. I've narrowed my choices to the RT-590/700 and the CC Woodwind Wifi. My heart is telling me to go with the Rec Tec, but my brain is telling me there are some red flags I need to investigate further. I guess that is why I'm posting this message for some clarification on potential issues I've read about and some other questions:

1. The Wifi capability and smartphone alerts/alarms are a big selling point for me. There seem to be some reliability issues with Wifi connectivity and alerts not working. Has there been any recent firmware updates that have fixed the alerts issue? FWIW, I have an iPhone 11 Pro running iOS 13.4.1 and a dual band wifi router.
2. Heat deflector warping. Is this issue unique to only recent RT models? It sounds like older models used a more reliable design or perhaps better steel? It seems a warped deflector that affects the grease pan is problematic.
3. 590 vs 700. It looks like the extra $300 for the Bull buys an extra 2 years warranty, a single smoke stack, a larger hopper that is mounted on the rear, a shorter auger, a towel ring, a side shelf with 4 tool hooks, an interior light, and obviously more cooking space. Am I missing anything else? Is the gauge of steel in the cook box the same in both units?
4. The tiebreaker for me choosing between RT and CC is the warranty and customer service. RT seems to be a clear winner here.

Thanks ahead for any guidance/advice on this post.

Pellet Noob

Hey there fellow Texan.
I also have been lurking the last few weeks several pellet smoker forums trying to see what I might do. I have a couple buddies at work that have the RT 700, and very happy with them. Another guy at work I was talking to was just telling me, I might as well get an ez bake oven if I'm gonna go that route, lol. He prefers to babysit his meat obviously.
I lived down in Houston and had a bs little smokey joe that I experimented with and modded., years ago. After a couple of years I found myself getting pretty decent at it, and enjoyed the meats that I smoked on it. What I did not enjoy, was the baby sitting, time consuming, enough charcoal, too much and temps were high, not enough and getting behind the curve trying to get temps back up, stuffing more chunks of wood in it, on and on. I am too busy to plop down in a chair, drink a twelve pack and baby sit a smoker.
So I've not messed with it since, and just use my weber gas grill, and quite happy. However I miss that smoked taste in my bbq. And of course certain things just suck, with fish pieces falling in the grates, skin cemented to grates, if you cook any hamburger less than 90/10, expect a blaze on the grill, etc. Now with the new smoker technology and being able to monitor, adjust, turn on/off from an app on a phone a smoker.... Sign me up. It's all about convenience and carrying on with my life, for me.
My only two downfalls were I don't have electricity on my back porch and I need to choose a smoker. Well the first problem I knocked out, last weekend I ran a GFCI outlet to back porch. Now I just had to choose a smoker, lol.

My situation, it's just me, and my girlfriend when she comes over. I don't need a huge piece of real estate for my small house and small patio. If we entertaining any family or friends we usually do it at her place because she has a killer outside deck, patio. So I had narrowed it down to the 590 or 700. I kept wanting to push myself to the 700, it's really not a lot more after the 900 bucks but I just couldn't justify it. I know my current Weber gets the job done every week of a few brats, couple pieces of chicken, couple hamburgers, and some vegetables in tin foil. Albeit something usually has to come off the grill first to complete everything. So with my current 19x17 grill grate avail on the weber, I decided to get the RT 590, which is I believe 21x29 so a good bit more real estate, than I have now.
The only thing I'm not hip on, is as you mentioned the diffuser. I've read plenty of people that have had warped diffusers. Yeah, if it doesn't affect my drain pan, I could care less, but the problem is, in lots of cases I've read, it does affect it, and makes the drain bucket useless. I just threw in the towel and said, when I get the grill first thing I'm doing is ordering the smoke daddy diffuser. Only problem is it's backwards direction for the 700 Bull, but it sits the right way with the Stampede.
I ordered a few accessories with it, and should be here in Dallas Texas area, probably mid next week. Good Luck on your selection!

short answer - RT-700 all the way. you will love it and rec tec is likely the best company i every bought from.

Thanks for your response. My mission to find an unhappy Rec Tec owner turned out to be a fool’s errand. However, I did come across some little issues mentioned above that I know are minor, but hopefully there are solutions.

I would recommend the RT700. I have had mine since Oct 2019. I use it often. The alarms was never a big deal for me. They do not work for me and never have. I have never had any issues with the wifi or the controller for the basic functions controlling temp and probes. The light has become useless to me, since i can not keep the lens clean. the hooks are there but I never use them. The large 40lb hopper is great. My heat deflector and drip pan has not warped. I usually do not use my 700 for high temp cooking, so that my be part of the reason I have not experienced any warping. I am not sure. I still use my Weber Genesis for high temp searing and grilling. I have gone through over 180lbs of pellets so far with no problems. I had a minor issue with a part when i got the grill that RT took care of immediately and gave me the rub/sauce $90 set just for my trouble of having to wait 2 days for the replacement before I could finish installing. RT customer service is great. I looked at a lot of grills before making my decision. The RT is larger than I needed, but the warranty, look/style and extra capacity was worth it.
Enjoy the grill, whatever you end up choosing! they are great grills. And Welcome!!!

I wrestled with choosing between the 590 and 700 for a while. The longer warranty was a big factor in going with the 700 and I haven't looked back. (The missus prefers the stack look, too.) The cooking space difference isn't massive but I've been glad for the extra room. (Side note: Having to buy vent covers for the 590 as an add-on strikes me as an odd choice by RT.)

I do wish they'd fix the alarms with the app, but otherwise, it handles the essentials. No alarms leaves me no choice but to use a remote thermometer - something I expected to skip.

I use mine primarily for low & slow cooking. Bacon @ 400F is about the highest I've done since the burn-in. Use my gasser (Weber Genesis II) for hot & fast grilling.

Hello RT Community,

I've been lurking on this amazing forum for awhile now. I'm coming from a Weber Genesis and a Large BGE. I need to feed a family of four in Central Texas where we love our BBQ. The Egg has been good to me, but the cooking space is a bit too small and I'm getting tired of all the fiddling and babysitting. So the Egg will be listed for sale soon.

Friends have raved on and on about their pellet grills (although none of them have a Rec Tec). I feel like I've been stalking every grilling forum available on the internet and Facebook, and have viewed way too many YouTube reviews on pellet grills thanks to the extra free time during this COVID quarantine. One thing is for certain, the passion, satisfaction, and the excitement in the Rec Tec community is both unique and infectious. I've narrowed my choices to the RT-590/700 and the CC Woodwind Wifi. My heart is telling me to go with the Rec Tec, but my brain is telling me there are some red flags I need to investigate further. I guess that is why I'm posting this message for some clarification on potential issues I've read about and some other questions:

1. The Wifi capability and smartphone alerts/alarms are a big selling point for me. There seem to be some reliability issues with Wifi connectivity and alerts not working. Has there been any recent firmware updates that have fixed the alerts issue? FWIW, I have an iPhone 11 Pro running iOS 13.4.1 and a dual band wifi router.
2. Heat deflector warping. Is this issue unique to only recent RT models? It sounds like older models used a more reliable design or perhaps better steel? It seems a warped deflector that affects the grease pan is problematic.
3. 590 vs 700. It looks like the extra $300 for the Bull buys an extra 2 years warranty, a single smoke stack, a larger hopper that is mounted on the rear, a shorter auger, a towel ring, a side shelf with 4 tool hooks, an interior light, and obviously more cooking space. Am I missing anything else? Is the gauge of steel in the cook box the same in both units?
4. The tiebreaker for me choosing between RT and CC is the warranty and customer service. RT seems to be a clear winner here.
it.
Thanks ahead for any guidance/advice on this post.

Pellet Noob
Deep breath, Bull 700, you will never regret it. Solid machine makes great Que.

I have had my 680 going on 4 years now. I have never had one issue at all. I have the old controller (pre wifi) so have not used the WIFI yet. Some on this site will chuckle because I have said this more than a few times.....I have the new Wifi controller, just been too lazy to install it on the 680. I use the 680 mostly for low and slow or medium heat cooks. High heat I have other pits I use. The RT has done everything I expected and more. A great unit. The only issue I have ever had was the day I took it out of the box and the porcelain was chipped a little at the hinge of the lid. I was afraid of possible rust so called RT. They sent me a new lid no questions asked. Probably well over 500# of pellets through that hopper.

The Bull. Don't be the "I wish I would have..." guys. Do it now and you won't look back. The alarms do not work for me. But, for me, it isn't an issue. I researched a lot. Just look at the reviews...I don't care who's reviews. This smoker does the job it's supposed too and it takes the stress off the regulating temps, adding wood, checking this and that..all disappear.

Hey there fellow Texan.
I also have been lurking the last few weeks several pellet smoker forums trying to see what I might do. I have a couple buddies at work that have the RT 700, and very happy with them. Another guy at work I was talking to was just telling me, I might as well get an ez bake oven if I'm gonna go that route, lol. He prefers to babysit his meat obviously.
I lived down in Houston and had a bs little smokey joe that I experimented with and modded., years ago. After a couple of years I found myself getting pretty decent at it, and enjoyed the meats that I smoked on it. What I did not enjoy, was the baby sitting, time consuming, enough charcoal, too much and temps were high, not enough and getting behind the curve trying to get temps back up, stuffing more chunks of wood in it, on and on. I am too busy to plop down in a chair, drink a twelve pack and baby sit a smoker.
So I've not messed with it since, and just use my weber gas grill, and quite happy. However I miss that smoked taste in my bbq. And of course certain things just suck, with fish pieces falling in the grates, skin cemented to grates, if you cook any hamburger less than 90/10, expect a blaze on the grill, etc. Now with the new smoker technology and being able to monitor, adjust, turn on/off from an app on a phone a smoker.... Sign me up. It's all about convenience and carrying on with my life, for me.
My only two downfalls were I don't have electricity on my back porch and I need to choose a smoker. Well the first problem I knocked out, last weekend I ran a GFCI outlet to back porch. Now I just had to choose a smoker, lol.

My situation, it's just me, and my girlfriend when she comes over. I don't need a huge piece of real estate for my small house and small patio. If we entertaining any family or friends we usually do it at her place because she has a killer outside deck, patio. So I had narrowed it down to the 590 or 700. I kept wanting to push myself to the 700, it's really not a lot more after the 900 bucks but I just couldn't justify it. I know my current Weber gets the job done every week of a few brats, couple pieces of chicken, couple hamburgers, and some vegetables in tin foil. Albeit something usually has to come off the grill first to complete everything. So with my current 19x17 grill grate avail on the weber, I decided to get the RT 590, which is I believe 21x29 so a good bit more real estate, than I have now.
The only thing I'm not hip on, is as you mentioned the diffuser. I've read plenty of people that have had warped diffusers. Yeah, if it doesn't affect my drain pan, I could care less, but the problem is, in lots of cases I've read, it does affect it, and makes the drain bucket useless. I just threw in the towel and said, when I get the grill first thing I'm doing is ordering the smoke daddy diffuser. Only problem is it's backwards direction for the 700 Bull, but it sits the right way with the Stampede.
I ordered a few accessories with it, and should be here in Dallas Texas area, probably mid next week. Good Luck on your selection!
Thank you for sharing your sound reasoning in choosing the 590. I look forward to reading about your adventures on this forum. At this point, it seems reasonable to sell my Egg, keep the Weber for quick high heat grilling and searing, and do everything else in a Rec Tec. And congrats on getting your new toy!

Thank you to all for your replies.
1. The whole alarms/alerts issue puzzles me. Why is that not working for so many of you? That seems like a very easy firmware fix by Rec Tec. I certainly hope it’s not a hardware issue. But for $1200 (or $900 for the Stampede), that is a function I feel should be working flawlessly for the masses since it is a big selling point and becoming more standard on other pellet grill brands. I don’t think this tarnishes the RT reputation of only the highest quality specs for their grills, but it does leave that annoying little pebble sensation in my shoe.
2. The warped deflector issue may be a moot point for me (at least I hope) since I plan on keeping my gasser for high heat / searing duties. Perhaps the definitive solution would require a redesign of the entire shield.
3. I think the extra $300 is well worth the money for the RT-700 even if it is “more grill than I would need.” I personally like the barrel look over the stop sign, but I‘ll admit the RT-590 is probably the perfect fit for the size of my family.
Decision... decisions...
I can already hear my wife asking, “Why are you selling that big egg?” “And why are you replacing it with a big bull?“
My answer: So I can spend more time with you instead of watching the egg ;)

Thank you to all for your replies.
1. The whole alarms/alerts issue puzzles me. Why is that not working for so many of you? That seems like a very easy firmware fix by Rec Tec. I certainly hope it’s not a hardware issue. But for $1200 (or $900 for the Stampede), that is a function I feel should be working flawlessly for the masses since it is a big selling point and becoming more standard on other pellet grill brands. I don’t think this tarnishes the RT reputation of only the highest quality specs for their grills, but it does leave that annoying little pebble sensation in my shoe.
2. The warped deflector issue may be a moot point for me (at least I hope) since I plan on keeping my gasser for high heat / searing duties. Perhaps the definitive solution would require a redesign of the entire shield.
3. I think the extra $300 is well worth the money for the RT-700 even if it is “more grill than I would need.” I personally like the barrel look over the stop sign, but I‘ll admit the RT-590 is probably the perfect fit for the size of my family.
Decision... decisions...
I can already hear my wife asking, “Why are you selling that big egg?” “And why are you replacing it with a big bull?“
My answer: So I can spend more time with you instead of watching the egg ;)

Which smoker to get, the difference - Just money
Parts that may warp - Just irritating
Your comments to the wife - Just Priceless ??

I am coming from a Weber kettle. I almost went with a BGE. But my boss, who has a garage full of Cookshack electric smokers and a pellet grill, talked me out of it. What he didn't talk me into was spending $3000 to get a grill like his.

I teetered between the 590 and 700 for a couple of weeks. The 590 would be plenty big enough for me and the wife. But when the kids come home, or when we have a party, the extra cooking space on the 700 would be nice.

Ultimately, it was the wife who said, just buy the 700 and be done with it. Our daughter is married and expecting our first grandchild in the next couple weeks. Our son is seeing a girl that's possible marriage material. I think the wife is planning on feeding an army of grandkids. :giggle:

Jmo but, I feel the quality of Build, the controller tech,(holds temp incredibly) 6yr warranty, and amazing customer service made my RT700 WELL worth the cost.

Now I realise the notifications should be working 100% . There's no question about that. I'm one that has had very few problems with mine. They work 99% of the time flawlessly. I have a Google Pixel 4 on Android system.
To me this seems like it's almost some kind of contract or legal issue, because again you're right, it would appear to be a somewhat easy fix. But the length of time this has gone on suggests to me that it's a different issue or completely new software coming out and they had to weigh options.(cost wise etc,etc??)...I'm sure that WHEN the software is fixed for those having issues, RecTec's reputation will jump a few more notches above what it already is. I'd go with the 700 personally and never look back. Also Imo, people tend to complain more than compliment in forums. People stop by to say " WTF this isn't working, help me" more than "Hey I just stop by to say this thing is great" Imo that goes for all forums smoker, vehicle, music on and on.... Goodluck !!

@Qizhi, hi neighbor...…...…….rejoice, we begin lifting the quarantine stuff this weekend...…….well, until they change their mind again. If you have interest in visiting Salado you're welcome to see a 590 in person and share war stories about RT, kamados, and various other outdoor cookers...……….I've got 8 total, it's a disease. A quick note on the wifi issue. It's perhaps more complicated than it looks. On my iPhone 6s I had full function of all wifi features until a couple months ago when I got an 11 (not a pro). I've lost the alarms functions, though the others work as before. Why RT hasn't resolved it is somewhat of a quandary, but any discussion on the why is going to be all speculation. As for the differences between the 700 and 590 you've pretty much got it except for your open question on body material differences. Unfortunately some of the answers out there in web land are bogus, including some reportedly direct from RT. I don't think there's any lying in those errors, rather a misunderstanding of material nomenclatures and how dimensions are expressed. It's pretty confusing on the one hand, but real close to meaningless on the other. Anyway, the invite is out to you.

@Qizhi, hi neighbor...…...…….rejoice, we begin lifting the quarantine stuff this weekend...…….well, until they change their mind again. If you have interest in visiting Salado you're welcome to see a 590 in person and share war stories about RT, kamados, and various other outdoor cookers...……….I've got 8 total, it's a disease. A quick note on the wifi issue. It's perhaps more complicated than it looks. On my iPhone 6s I had full function of all wifi features until a couple months ago when I got an 11 (not a pro). I've lost the alarms functions, though the others work as before. Why RT hasn't resolved it is somewhat of a quandary, but any discussion on the why is going to be all speculation. As for the differences between the 700 and 590 you've pretty much got it except for your open question on body material differences. Unfortunately some of the answers out there in web land are bogus, including some reportedly direct from RT. I don't think there's any lying in those errors, rather a misunderstanding of material nomenclatures and how dimensions are expressed. It's pretty confusing on the one hand, but real close to meaningless on the other. Anyway, the invite is out to you.
Great to hear there's a 590 in the 254! I'm leaning towards adding a 700 to Bell County.

Your experience with the iPhone 6S working (and @Buckeye smoker's Pixel 4), but not the 11 is interesting. I'm curious if the issues are only affecting those in the Apple ecosystem.

8 cookers! :oops: That is likely pathologic. Fortunately, it's also very contagious, and there is no effective vaccine yet.

@Uncle Bob, thank you for your service.

Hello Q. I'll chime-in with my two cents. In your initial post you wrote ".. and smartphone alerts/alarms are a big selling point for me." Given that detail you provided, and assuming you want that capability from Rec Tec, it seems to me you're opening yourself up to a huge risk by considering Rec Tec based on my experience with my RT-700 and given various posts and polls within this site. I've not experienced any WiFi connection-related issues but my alarms don't work.

Having said the above, the alarm malfunction isn't an issue to me because I have more than one third-party temperature monitor devices where alarms work flawlessly. And aside from the alarm issue I have no complaint about my Bull. But I also have a Traeger Ironwood that works as advertised. I don't have any CC smokers but I do have some other CC products, all of which have performed as advertised.

To the others whom have replied I apologize if my post is not appropriate given your feedback (I'm a little busy and haven't been able to read every post).

Maybe too much info out there now... but will add my two cents...

VERY HAPPY RT-700 owner. Two years now.

1) my deflector warped. I ordered another and it warped too. Drives me crazy when i am cleaning and it is on the ground in front of the smoker while i clean the hopper... said different... I am kidding.. my warped deflector has NO impact on my smoker in use. It is a non-issue and the way it sits in the pit it is square and flat when cooking. It does not touch the drip pan. Much ado about nothing. Mine is a teeter tauter on the ground... but doesn't matter in the RecTec.
2) Wi-fi and temp probes. Meh.... For mine the alarms for the probes are iffy. The temp is good. In fact, it saved me from a grease fire last summer when my 350 degrees all of the sudden was pinging me that it was 10 degrees hotter than the temp sent. I agree with other posts that when you write big checks you should get it a working. But the reality is i just bought a second wi-fi 5 star rated probe system. The base has a belt clip. Problem solved if i need to watch a meat temp that close. I tend to check on mine a bit so..walking out to the smoker to look at it works for me. I can start it, check the temp at any time on my phone. The fact the alarm doesn't work... again Meh!

Customer service rocks! Temp management ROCKS... Never off by more than a degree. Starts every time. The thing just flat works! And to the post above... it is like an easy bake oven. Perfectly fine with me!

BUY THE 700! You won't regret it.

I went with the 700 for its potential. I usually cook for 3 of us but 5 - 6 holidays a year the big family gets together and I am cooking for 20 or more. The bull gave me that ability. (i just couldn't spend the money on the BFG. I have been super pleased with it from steaks seared at 475 to low and slow brisket. she had worked well. I have had no problems with the Wifi but little success with the alarms. To me it was a good purchase in my book. enjoy whatever you choose and welcome to the forum from a fellow Texan.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back