Stampede Discussions with Recteq Customer Service

Steves55

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Talked to one of their head guys about use & care, thought I'd share. Just received my 590.

I told him I had 0 issues with the app & linking with my wifi- mine is a dual band so I was worried.
He said all the controllers are dual band now, the only one in the industry. It will connect to either. This was a recent upgrade.
Even with my phone's wifi off, I could still control from my phone using LTE (I forgot to ask about that)

I told him I noticed on videos that the shield/deflector over the fire pot was stainless but mine was very heavy cast iron.
He said that was a recent upgrade as the stainless ones warped & this was the fix.

I asked about using a sealing tape on the door.
They still don't recommend any gasket on the door

I asked about start up. Lid up or down?
He says down but says it's ok to leave up to confirm ignition but not necessary.
I've done 3 smokes with lid down & no issue.

I asked about thorough vacuum cleaning- how often?
He says after several bags of pellets. Hmmm, I should have asked 20 or 40 lb bags? Recommends foil on grease tray but use with caution so you don't block air flow. Don't use chemical cleaners inside, only on outside.

What do you recommend for first cook?
Chicken. Dark meat preferred to get a nice burn. The more you use it, the better the flavor (don't over-clean inside).

Can I use a short extension cord? My Traeger 550 Pro plug was on opposite end & now doesn't reach outlet.
Extension cord is fine, use same gauge, outdoor rated & the shortest cord needed. Example- don't use a 100 ft when you only need 6 ft.

Do temp probes need calibration?
Maybe. Use a ice water bath to test probes. Most are within a few degrees. He recommends calibration at 1st use.

Hopes that helps anyone.

I told him I had 0 issues with the app & linking with my wifi- mine is a dual band so I was worried.
He said all the controllers are dual band now, the only one in the industry. It will connect to either. This was a recent upgrade.
Even with my phone's wifi off, I could still control from my phone using LTE (I forgot to ask about that)
I'm sure most people here know this, but even though the new grill offers dual band wifi, I recommend using 2.4ghz since the range for 2.4ghz is substantially further than 5ghz. With the grill being outside, usually further from the router, signal strength many be weak at 5ghz, whereas 2.4ghz will be much stronger.

Just so you know, the phone app connects through the rec teq servers, then the rectec servers connect to your grill through your home router, that's why you phone can work to control the grill without the phone on your wifi.

Here's the basic data path with and without using wifi on your phone (I'm sure most people here already knows this, but for those that don't, it may be helpful):

phone(data)<--->cell towers<--->rec teq servers<--->home internet (wifi)<--->grill
phone(wifi)<--->home internet<--->rec teq servers<--->home internet (wifi)<--->grill

I'm sure most people here know this, but even though the new grill offers dual band wifi, I recommend using 2.4ghz since the range for 2.4ghz is substantially further than 5ghz. With the grill being outside, usually further from the router, signal strength many be weak at 5ghz, whereas 2.4ghz will be much stronger.

Just so you know, the phone app connects through the rec teq servers, then the rectec servers connect to your grill through your home router, that's why you phone can work to control the grill without the phone on your wifi.

Here's the basic data path with and without using wifi on your phone (I'm sure most people here already knows this, but for those that don't, it may be helpful):

phone(data)<--->cell towers<--->rec teq servers<--->home internet (wifi)<--->grill
phone(wifi)<--->home internet<--->rec teq servers<--->home internet (wifi)<--->grill
Well, a search says wifi is one of the biggest problems with pellet grilles, including here.
Whatever.

One other thing he said- front shelves should be in stock soon. They came through Panama Canal about 20 days ago.

Well, a search says wifi is one of the biggest problems with pellet grilles, including here.
Whatever.
Well, that's because many people that get these grills don't understand wifi technology so they have problems setting up the grill on their network. Probably better to get their kid to get it working for them since the adults don't know what they're doing :unsure:
Whatever :rolleyes:

The dual band is automatic and pics up either signal but if one is weak it pics up the other, all automatic. You do not have to choose anything. I have never failed to hook up with it. My eero mesh system says mine is on 5G and since I have a dual band router, I assume my 5G is stronger on my patio. So follow the setup instructions and let it do it's thing. 2.4 Ghz technically is supposed to reach farther, but "It ain't necessarily so."

Whatever.

One other thing he said- front shelves should be in stock soon. They came through Panama Canal about 20 days ago.
Not to hijack, but I've found the "shelf situation" interesting. I would have thought that all products would have shipped from China via containers (ships), been offloaded at a west coast port and put on container trains to mid west and east coast locations. I wonder if their grills are going through the canal as well ?

Man, some of you need a different hobby. Go back & re-read what I originally posted. I asked simple questions I've seen posted here. Just because YOU get it, doesn't mean others get it. I thought I was being helpful to the group asking some questions. I guess not. And when I post that others don't get it, you persist. What's your deal? Well, you made your point, I won't help again.

Man, some of you need a different hobby. Go back & re-read what I originally posted. I asked simple questions I've seen posted here. Just because YOU get it, doesn't mean others get it. I thought I was being helpful to the group asking some questions. I guess not. And when I post that others don't get it, you persist. What's your deal? Well, you made your point, I won't help again.
Welcome to the forum @Steves55 :ROFLMAO:

The dual band is automatic and pics up either signal but if one is weak it pics up the other, all automatic. You do not have to choose anything. I have never failed to hook up with it. My eero mesh system says mine is on 5G and since I have a dual band router, I assume my 5G is stronger on my patio. So follow the setup instructions and let it do it's thing. 2.4 Ghz technically is supposed to reach farther, but "It ain't necessarily so."
Your router and or mesh network is probably close enough to your grill that the 5ghz signal is plenty strong to punch though the wall(s) to reach it. Many people aren't so lucky, that's why I recommend using 2.4ghz since its range travels much further than 5ghz, fact. 5ghz wifi technology was developed to increase data rates, which a grill doesn't need since the data is just a dribble.

2.4-vs-5_lg.png

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back