Diners Drive ins and dives

DesertRat

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
An episode yesterday. I’ll cut to the chase. Large brisket. Smoked for 17 hours. Then put in pan, covered with foil and finished in oven for 50 minutes. (350?) When they took it out of the oven as simple fork shredded it like paper. Does that sound reasonable to try in my 590? I did one small brisket several months ago and was not pleased with the results.

An episode yesterday. I’ll cut to the chase. Large brisket. Smoked for 17 hours. Then put in pan, covered with foil and finished in oven for 50 minutes. (350?) When they took it out of the oven as simple fork shredded it like paper. Does that sound reasonable to try in my 590? I did one small brisket several months ago and was not pleased with the results.
If you like shredded brisket, I suppose that would work. I prefer mine sliced. Brisket cooked to that point usually doesn’t slice well.

I have done briskets from 13-22 hours (size dependent) that took up to 21 hours. My observation is that every hour after they reach 194-198F is a better opportunity to make beef jerky. (Note: I don’t like well done beef, period!). I recognize when I inject with a combination of Wagyu tallow, butter and my own secret sauce, I can keep some moisture but it seems the protein starts to render any natural juices in exchange for the artificially injected materials and just looses the natural beef flavor. I have completed my cooks and used my gasser’s 1100F sear burner to put a crispy bark on the finished product but that is more from aesthetics than flavor. I have also cooked for chopped or pulled beef and taken the temp to 200F and get the same results they got in your description. If/should you take that path, try to remember that a water tray or high humidity chamber will help salvage any moisture left after the long cooking process. A properly configured oven may actually retain more humidity than a leaking smoker except my oven has a fan that draws moisture out of the oven also creating an informal convection oven. When I watch shows like this, I wonder if they were using the oven to keep the beef warm until it was ready for serving and edited the video to fit their particular scenario.

Just my thoughts, cook on!!!

I pull my Briskets at 203 and then rest them for a couple of hours. They slice just fine.

Without knowing the size of the brisket, it's really hard to make a judgement on the length of time they cooked it. It could have been done at the 17th hour, and the oven was used to add more moisture (was it wrapped in a pan?) so they could shred it like that.

Appreciate your comments. I wondered if the program beef would have any flavor left. Smoke Zilla hit on that first in his thoughtful post. I like rare steaks, coming from Nebraska. I’m going to shoot for medium rare so my wife can enjoy it without heating up per slice to medium. No promises that I’ll post my results!😊

Late to the party,. but that cooking method almost sounds like birria/stewed beef. I feel like a whole lot of things could go wrong with that method without judicious addition of moisture, etc. I guess back in the day when brisket was cheap, I'd be willing to experiment, but a prime or better seems to deserve more respect.

Sort of like diesel fuel these days, but I digress...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back