Cut up whole chicken

FF Cory

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have a cut up whole chicken that I want to do for salads tonight. What temperature should I be looking for overall? I’m looking at 225 temp to start, smoke temp. Or should i be looking at time for the cook, not temp. I want to pull it off then pull it off the bone for the salads. Thank is advance for the help.

225 is too low
because it will be...
1661982282530.png

I've taken to 225 for 20-30 minutes for some smoke - then 400 until IT=185. No rubber chicken, nice light smoke, great skin. I rarely cook chicken breast on the grill; that is better breaded and/or fried.(IMO)

I wish I would’ve checked the post after I started the cook. It turned out ok but I would have taken the advice of the masses and cooked it hotter. It was fine for the salad but I’m gonna buy another full bird, break it down and take another shot. Thanks guys!

FWIW, I prefer cooking the birds whole (spatchcocked) as I "think" it cooks a little more evenly. I also start at 225 until I get some smoke and color then crank up to 375+ to crisp and finish cooking. I usually shift cooking temp at about 90 - 100 degrees IT.

I get the whole food safety thing, but 30 - 45 minutes of low temp gives me some smoke and (hopefully) doesn't leave the meat in the danger zone too long to cause me any concern.

FWIW, I prefer cooking the birds whole (spatchcocked) as I "think" it cooks a little more evenly. I also start at 225 until I get some smoke and color then crank up to 375+ to crisp and finish cooking. I usually shift cooking temp at about 90 - 100 degrees IT.

I get the whole food safety thing, but 30 - 45 minutes of low temp gives me some smoke and (hopefully) doesn't leave the meat in the danger zone too long to cause me any concern.
I think I might try that approach on the next bird.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back