Trailblazer Cracking and discoloration of paint

Steveshin85

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Stampede
  3. Trailblazer
Hello all, I have two genuine questions:

1. Does Bar Keepers liquid cleaner discolor the paint on the 340 lid?

2. Is it normal to have cracking of the paint on the underside of the lid after just 2 months of use?

Thank you in advance for your help

Personally, I wouldn’t use BKF in any formulation on painted surfaces, but the liquid may be just fine.

Perhaps a stupid question on my part, but are you sure what you are seeing is cracking paint? These grills do get a carbon buildup on the inside that when it starts fo flake off it looks very similar to cracked paint. I’ve not seen any issues with the paint on my Bull, which is nearly a year old now.

My Weber gets the carbon buildup on the inside of the lid which will crack and peel off if not scraped once in a while. Haven't had the RT long enough to see it there yet.

I wouldn't recommend using the Bar Keepers Friend or any of these types of cleaners on a painted surface.
I doubt it's the paint that's cracking it's probably the soot smoke buildup on the under side of the lid that's cracking and it can just scraped off easily when necessary.

Last edited:
Agree on the inside is carbon soot / creosote. Just scrape it off and wipe up or leave in the barrel bottom in the ash. Seen this noted in many forums and had same question myself a month ago.

Sounds like baked on carbon from smoking. Bar keepers is a great cleaner, but it's really meant for bare metal. It will leave a white like haze residue. I don't think actually getting it on a painted surface is all that bad, but when rubbed on it, is when it degrades it. I just spray a mild degreaser, like Greased Lightening, for stubborn stuff and be done with it.

Sounds like baked on carbon from smoking. Bar keepers is a great cleaner, but it's really meant for bare metal. It will leave a white like haze residue. I don't think actually getting it on a painted surface is all that bad, but when rubbed on it, is when it degrades it. I just spray a mild degreaser, like Greased Lightening, for stubborn stuff and be done with it.
Yes I have a few spots on the lid that had a white residue which I tried to get off with water, but it didnt work. How can I get it off?

The online manual for the Stampede says: For a superior cleaning and shine, clean your grill’s outside surfaces (when completely cooled) and then use automotive wax, per the directions

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back