Crab Legs

rosieparisian

Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
Hey Everyone, I got some crab legs on sale today and was wondering if anyone has tried making them on their pellet? I figured it might be a good way to add some smoke flavor while also not stinking up the inside of my house

It is difficult to get much smoke flavor in crab legs. First, crab legs are usually already cooked, so all you want to do it heat them a bit. If you leave them whole, very little smoke will penetrate the shell during the relatively short heating period needed. OTOH, if you split them lengthwise to expose the meat, you will get smoke infusion but will rapidly dry out the meat. It is a very delicate balance.

I have done King Crab legs on my gas grill with a smoke tube. Even at a very low heat, it only took a few minutes to heat the crab legs and despite splitting them lengthwise, there wasn’t a whole lot of smoke flavor. At least for my taste, crab has a very delicate flavor that doesn’t seem to be enhanced by smoke. YMMV

I usually wrap my king crab legs in heavy foil and add some beer for liquid and throw them into the smoker. It steams them and keeps them moist while they warm up. No smoke flavor but very convemient.

I usually wrap my king crab legs in heavy foil and add some beer for liquid and throw them into the smoker. It steams them and keeps them moist while they warm up. No smoke flavor but very convemient.
Sounds good. Temp & time?

I have heard of (but never seen or tried) smoked butter. I wonder if that wouldn't be a cheat to get what you're after with the crab.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back