Costco Brisket

DesertRat

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Just read their brisket is on sale for $2.99/lb. I'd get one and run it through my grinder and another to smoke. But it's almost 60 miles away. But some of you might take advantage of it if you think it's a good deal. The grade is choice, not prime but still, three bucks a pound is a pretty good deal. Here they're getting like six bucks for chuck, which is pot roast.

Just read their brisket is on sale for $2.99/lb. I'd get one and run it through my grinder and another to smoke. But it's almost 60 miles away. But some of you might take advantage of it if you think it's a good deal. The grade is choice, not prime but still, three bucks a pound is a pretty good deal. Here they're getting like six bucks for chuck, which is pot roast.
Yep, choice $2.99 got it sitting in the fridge.

I just bought a bunch of bulk Beef Tenderloin and Boneless Beef Rib Roast from our local market that does twice yearly meat sales. As an example, the Rib Roast was/is on sale for $12.99/lb. On a prior sale last spring, I asked the Butcher what "Prime" Rib Roast would cost. He said something in the neighborhood of $23.99/lb and it'd have to be special ordered.

So, I bought a big chunk of Choice Rib Roast. It was quite good and I doubt I would have been able to tell the difference between it and "Prime". I think it's been said here before that many meat packers (legally) engage in "self grading". I suppose I'd trust the packer more if he graded a Roast as "Choice" than if he graded it as "Prime". From what I have seen/bought, I've been pretty happy with the choices available to me.

I have also heard that "Prime" Rib Roast is hard to find (even at the packer level), hence the higher price. If packers aren't fudging the numbers/grades to increase profits, all the better for the consumer.

The above isn't directly relatable to brisket, but I think the general ideas are the same/similar.

I believe that for "Costco" labelled meat, it is all packed in Costco packing facilities. I have virtually no discomfort with Costco grading their meat honestly. I suppose the same holds true for other packer's meat that Costco sells. Afterall, when was the last time that anyone heard of Costco cutting corners or getting caught at cheating consumers ?

Thanks for the info. Good looking out! I noticed there seems to be a trend here in Southern California that occurs this time of the year (usually before Thanksgiving). The prices drop and the quality (e.g., Prime vs. Choice) gets better. I don’t have any data to prove it but if anyone is a rancher, do you cull your herds before the harshness of winter sets in? Our local stores also get somewhat abnormal cuts around this time for things like Prime 4 and 7 bone Standing Rib Roasts, better looking Spinalis Dorsi (Ribeye Cap), and well marbled filets. I keep pestering my local Costco’s meat manager to bring in a couple truck loads of bone in Pork Butts but he laughs at that request since they only carry boneless now. During one of my recent visits they had prime grade full packers and one of the customers was buying 2 cases (not pieces) because it has been scarce around here lately. I guess it is a good time to have a final fall “clear out my freezer for additional capacity” BBQ with friends.

I did a $3 Kroger recently and posted about it. Not bad, not great piece of beef.

I've always heard that packers do their own grading. Can't have a fed in every house looking at every carcass.

Choice dry aged for 30 days will beat prime wet aged a few days every time IMNSHO.

I think it's been said here before that many meat packers (legally) engage in "self grading". I suppose I'd trust the packer more if he graded a Roast as "Choice" than if he graded it as "Prime".
If it carries the USDA grading label, you can be sure it has been legitimately graded. Meat is officially graded under USDA oversight and there are significant penalties for falsely applying USDA grade labels. No reliable meat supplier wants to run afoul of the USDA by falsely using its grading labels.

Now, there is no requirement that meat must be USDA-graded and many local butcher shops sell ungraded meat. They can even use the word “prime“ or “choice” in their descriptions, but they cannot do that in conjunction with the term “USDA.”

If it says “USDA Prime” or “USDA Choice” (or any other USDA grade), it has to be graded under USDA oversight.

^^^^^ what @Jim6820 said. When I worked at the slaughterhouse if the inspector had to take a leak we had to shut the line down. Nothing moved unless the inspector was there. Doesn’t mean there aren’t some shysters who misrepresent the quality of what they are selling.

As for Prime Rib Roasts they can be prime grade or choice grade. The cut is called Prime Rib because of its location (ribs 10-12 near the loin).

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not saying there's anything nefarious going on. I'm simply saying that as I understand, some packers (probably the larger guys/more to lose if they cheat) are allowed to "self grade". Further, as I understand, those "approved" to self grade are approved by the USDA to do so. I would further suspect that they are subject to "spot checks" by the USDA to keep them honest.

I doubt (but I could be wrong) that there is a USDA inspector in every packing plant, hence the need to let some of the more honest (again, probably the bigger guys) "self grade".

And, as far as "Prime Rib", yes, I'm aware of the differences between Prime and Choice. Having said that, I am not certain that I have ever even had a piece of "Prime" Prime Rib. Perhaps, but from what I have been buying/cooking at home/consuming for the last 4 or 5 years, it's been "Choice" and I've been very happy with it. In fact, I'm sitting down, taking a break from portioning and seal-a-mealing" a 13 pound chunk of it ("Choice") right now.

USDA grading is optional but all grading is done by the USDA. So if the meat has a USDA grading stamp it was done by a USDA grader. It is a service paid for by the processor (again, optional). Wholesomeness inspection is not optional and required at all processing plants.

I did a $3 Kroger recently and posted about it. Not bad, not great piece of beef.

I've always heard that packers do their own grading. Can't have a fed in every house looking at every carcass.

Choice dry aged for 30 days will beat prime wet aged a few days every time IMNSHO.
Desert/...,

Thanks for the post. Interestingly, I recently did a 35 day wet aged Choice (~4-10% fat) versus Select (2-4%) full packer and it was fantastic. The difference in Choice and Select is hard to appreciate with beef grading being somewhat subjective and the grades overlapping. But, the good folks over at Costco seem to get their selections right everytime if you hit the stores early before everything is “picked over”. I can only surmise that with a lean cut, letting the natural juices break down the proteins made a big difference, in my opinion (YMMV). I also agree that for some cuts, dry aged rules!!! My pictures are from a recent visit to Mallorca, Spain, where I indulged in a 240 day dry aged Ribeye that was over the top delicious. The steak pictured was approximately 4lbs (1814 grams) and cost a buttload of money, but it was well worth it. As someone that has historically only purchased Prime, the Choice Brisket was not an equivalent to me but my BBQ guests loved every morsel, even though they have been spoiled by Prime from me over the years. I am also in the process of starting my Standing Rib Roast‘s wet aging for a Christmas cook. Any tips you want to share?

IMG_7415.jpeg

IMG_7410.jpeg

My wife’s uncle worked in a packing house. I asked him about the difference between Prime and Choice. He said it depends on how much you slipped the inspector. 😱🤷‍♂️

Each piece is not tested and graded. The inspectors will glance at the carcass and grade the whole thing. So, there could be choice pieces and prime and yes, select coming out of the same carcass that was graded prime. :)

For you GA folks just left Costco in Athens, Full packer Prime brisket 3.99 lb. Fat flats on them. Just picked up a 18lber.

First time they’ve had prime since they opened earlier this year.

Found a rather nice prime brisket at Sam's Club yesterday, has a decent thick flat. I'm going to put it on this coming monday evening and do a low-n-slow on it for dinner on tuesday.

I just cubed up 2 briskets for grinding. Both choice - one was dark red and marbled like an awesome ribeye, the other looked like strip steak, pink with not a heck of a lot of marbling. I've got 50+ pounds (4 briskets total) to grind and almost 20 pounds pork shoulder to grind. Great sales lately - stocking up for winter.

This response may be a little off topic, but hopefully not egregiously so.

I often see whole packers priced very attractively at Costco. I seldom see just a point or a flat though.

I love brisket, my family loves it when I smoke it, but there are just three of us in my house (my wife, me, and my developmentally delayed brother-in-law), and a whole packer, or even a point or a flat is typically more meat than three of us can consume even with leftovers.

I have a FoodSaver machine that works well, so I’m wondering if anyone has a suggestion or comment on how small, in terms of individual sections, I can subdivide a whole packer, point, or a flat, and use them individually without losing the whole point of low and slow brisket ?

This response may be a little off topic, but hopefully not egregiously so.

I often see whole packers priced very attractively at Costco. I seldom see just a point or a flat though.

I love brisket, my family loves it when I smoke it, but there are just three of us in my house (my wife, me, and my developmentally delayed brother-in-law), and a whole packer, or even a point or a flat is typically more meat than three of us can consume even with leftovers.

I have a FoodSaver machine that works well, so I’m wondering if anyone has a suggestion or comment on how small, in terms of individual sections, I can subdivide a whole packer, point, or a flat, and use them individually without losing the whole point of low and slow brisket ?
I have a preference for small packers when I can find them; 10-12 pounds. If you keep an eye out at Costco, they show up every once-in-a-while. When I find one—or more—I vacuum seal and freeze them.

So.if you can find a 10-12 pound packer, separate it into a flat and a point for freezing. If that is still too much for you to use comfortably, cut the point and flat in half and make four separate portions. And, if you can’t find a 10-12 pound packer, buy an 18-20 pound one, separate the point and flat and cut those pieces into thirds or quarters for more manageable portions. There’s nothing that says you can’t cook less than a full packer, point or flat.

There’s another way, however, and it is my preferred one. Smoke a whole packer (whatever size is available), slice it and vacuum seal meal portions for freezing. Then, reheat the individual meal packets in hot water and, I think, you will find it nearly as tasty as the fresh-smoked stuff. Vacuum-sealed and frozen brisket can easily keep for 6 months, so you’ll have a great, long-term supply.

I agree with @Jim6820. In addition to having leftover brisket for brisket’s sake, you also can use the leftover cooked brisket in Mac and Cheese, Chili, Tacos & Burritos, with eggs for breakfast etc… It’s always nice to have some leftover smoked brisket in the freezer for whatever craving you get.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back