Corned Beef Challenge

I was at my local Costco today and they had a whole display case full of SRF Wagyu corned beef. They were priced in the $30-$40 range, depending on size/weight. I picked a couple of really good looking ones and brought them home to freeze.

I can appreciate people wanting to do their own beef "corning," but being a bit lazy, I'm happy to let SRF do most of the work. And, their product is fantastic, IMHO.
I saw them also at Costco and they were between $40 & $50. Please let us know how they taste. I didn't get any but I probably will go back and pick up a couple.

I saw them also at Costco and they were between $40 & $50. Please let us know how they taste. I didn't get any but I probably will go back and pick up a couple.
We’ve had them before and they were awesome; best corned beef I have ever had. The marbling in the Wagyu beef seems to allow for great flavor penetration without getting overly salty. I expect the two I purchased today to be every bit as good as the ones we’ve had previously.

We’ve had them before and they were awesome; best corned beef I have ever had. The marbling in the Wagyu beef seems to allow for great flavor penetration without getting overly salty. I expect the two I purchased today to be every bit as good as the ones we’ve had previously.

Jim,
Did you have to desalinate them?

Jim,
Did you have to desalinate them?
No, cooked them straight out of the package. I think most corned beef producers desalinate their product before packaging; at least, my experience over the years is that commercially produced corned beef isn’t that salty.

OK, I saw something recently about someone getting some SNF Corned Beef, and I have been wanting to do some Corned Beef. So my question is, should I buy one already brined or start from scratch? If so how etc you know the drill!
Wanting to do this for St Paddy's day so I have a little time.

Also as an aside, I wanted to share this with this forum, because people think I am over the top when I whip out my phone and show them my cooks. This weekend we went up to see our son in college in Upstate SC. And take him some food I have been cooking. I always set some aside for him, Beef Tenderloin, Pork Butt, Mac and Cheese, he does not complain one bit.
Anyway, I was getting some food from a local establishment, talking to the kid about the menu and I asked about the meatloaf. He tells me it is good and he loves meatloaf, etc, anyway I tell him I smoked one and showed him a picture, he then tells me his dad has a couple of grills and sends him pics of his cooks. The kid then shows me pictures his dad sends him, I just had to crack a smile as I showed him my pics. He said his dad is going though his grilling phase and he did wish his dad would send meat like we do to our son.

Anyway thought of this forum!
I have done corned beef briskets a couple of times on my 590. I didn’t bother doing my own brine. Like any other smoking process, personal preference rules. I took the brisket out of the fridge an hour before smoking, and ten minutes before going on the smoker, rinsed it well, dried it off, coaged it with Worcestershire sauce, and then seasoned it with my homemade beef rub MINUS salt. The brine will have added plenty of salt, you don’t need more. I smoked at 225 and sprayed hourly with black mocha stout. After four hours, the meat temperature was 152 degrees and I transferred it to a foil covered pan and braised it with the package included seasoning pouch and a mix of 1/3 black mocha stout and 2/3 beef stock. Total cooking time was
6 1/4 hours and got the meat probing tender at 192 degrees. Rested in a cooler for one hour. I absolutely love these and they make the best Ruben sandwich you will ever have.

IMG_0771 (3).JPG
pas.jpg
I got my 590 and couldn`t wait to make Pastrami. It turned out great and just took a little planning. I made corned beef several times, but with the high price of briskets I won`t be making any for a while. 6 bucks a lb. for a select brisket is crazy. I hope someone will have a sale on them for Memorial Day or easter, but I doubt it.

Attachments

• IMG_0771 (3).JPG
    IMG_0771 (3).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
  • pas.jpg
    pas.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
You guys inspired me. I just picked up a 21 lb choice full packer at $4.50 lb from our local restaurant supply store. My goal is to do both corned beef and pastrami with it using AmazingRibs' recipes. I have a large cutting board, and some pickling spices from Boise Salt Company, coming through the mail. 🤞

You guys inspired me. I just picked up a 21 lb choice full packer at $4.50 lb from our local restaurant supply store. My goal is to do both corned beef and pastrami with it using AmazingRibs' recipes. I have a large cutting board, and some pickling spices from Boise Salt Company, coming through the mail. 🤞
Don't forget to post pics 😁

Timing on this thread is perfect. Never done corned beef before, but I have been looking at Costco, but no luck. You all just inspired me to do my own. Headed to Wild Fork after work!! Think I'll do half pastrami and half corned beef.

I’ve made pastrami twice, and both times I fell short on the desalinization. They had good pastrami flavor, but way too salty. So, what is the best way to desalinate? Rinsing didn’t do it for me.

I’ve made pastrami twice, and both times I fell short on the desalinization. They had good pastrami flavor, but way too salty. So, what is the best way to desalinate? Rinsing didn’t do it for me.

Rinse, soak for an hour or two, change the water and soak overnight. A small volume of water will need to be changed out a couple times because the salt is seeking equilibrium. A big bucket of water will not need changing.

Posting just because @Roaniecowpony started the Pastrami challenge. I love both. I am searching Costco for a SNF prepared one, because I am intimidated and maybe a little lazy, like @Jim6820

Rinse, soak for an hour or two, change the water and soak overnight. A small volume of water will need to be changed out a couple times because the salt is seeking equilibrium. A big bucket of water will not need changing.
So, I noticed amazingribs doesn't mention anything about rinsing, but you guys have me nervous. Cooking up the corned beef tomorrow, so guess I'll soak overnight tonight.

I think @BethV summed it up previously. If you're boiling (or slow cooking) for cooked corned beef, you don't need to really desalinate. If you're going to smoke, definitely give it a bath first. I'm brining as we speak and I'm debating whether to smoke the flat or the point and freeze the other part for corned beef at a later date. I soaked my first pastrami for 24 hours in clear water in a 5 gallon bucket and it came out well for a first attempt.

Congrats on the first corned beef and good luck on the first pastrami.

So, I wound up buying the SNF corned beef, cooked it on St. Pattys day, it was very, very good. Wife said it was the best she has had.
It was expensive, so I saw one at Publix on sale this weekend so I bought and froze for later to compare, will keep you posted.
Maybe next year, make my own.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back