Considering purchasing RT-700 but having second thoughts

macabra11

Hi everyone, I have been lurking for a little while, reading as much as I can about the Rec Tec grills. I follow RT on social media and am very close to pulling the trigger on an RT-700 Bull, but am starting to have second thoughts.

I've had the same Traeger Lil' Tex Elite for over 8 years now. Besides having the lid replaced under warranty a few years ago (great customer service at that time), it has been great. I've always been impressed by the quality of food I could put out with it, but lately I have really been wanting more space, better temp control and some modern bells/whistles like WiFi temp probes.

After doing a lot of research, I felt like a Rec Tec Bull would be a great upgrade, but after reading some reports of people having to modify the wheels, and recent complaints of warping heat deflectors/drip pans (note that my Traeger's heat shield and drip tray have been warped for years), I am starting to question the quality as of late. I know the customer service and warranty is going to be top notch, but if I am spending $1,200+ on something, I feel like it should be bomb proof. I shouldn't need to get an aftermarket heavy gauge diffuser or larger aftermarket wheels. For me, that is a ton of money and if I'm going to invest that much, then I want verifiable improvements over what I currently have, without spending even more money.

Another thing that is sort of irritating is that Rec Tec says that I shouldn't use real mesquite pellets in their grills because of "unacceptable amount of sand build up". What the heck? I've used Lumberjack pellets for years now, and their 100% mesquite is fantastic. Granted I don't use it all the time, but for some cooks (beef ribs) I DO use it.

1) Welcome
2) nice Rocker.
3) The wheel change isn't mandatory or because they're junk, atleast from what I've seen it's for more height. I'm 6'4" and to be honest, of course I'd like more height,but it's not a major issue at all after using my RT-700.
4) I 100% agree with you on the purchase price reflecting quality. I have zero issues with my RT 700 other than (as you described) the heat deflector warping. It does anger me, and is poor design imo.(thickness).
5) Also as you stated the CS is absolutely top-notch. And although replacement for the deflector with it's 6 year warranty is available, it hasn't affected any cooks. ( At least not any of mine)
6) That being said, my opinion is that still doesn't change the fact it shouldn't happen, and I feel confident there will eventually be a fix provided for this problem,as well as the griddle. Overall I feel the quality, control, tech,end product and uniqueness are worth my investment.
7) I never heard of the not using that pellet before, but I can't see how anything could get affected by the sand if it's kept clean after use (shopVac) ...it's just going hopper to burner.(I could be wrong)
JMO and goodluck on your decision!
My "new" bike is a 03' EG
My old one was a 75' FLH...lol

My "new" bike is a 03' EG
My old one was a 75' FLH...lol
Thanks for the feedback. I would hope that if there is a newer/thicker deflector that comes out, that new owners would be eligible for a replacement. Buy now and deal with the warping or wait for "new and improved"? Well my experience has been that if you wait for new and improved, you're always going to be waiting... and the new and improved is also more expensive!

Regarding the wheels, I am 6'3 so extra height would be welcome, but mostly I just don't want to struggle moving the thing around on my stamped concrete patio.

The Rocker IS sweet, but it isn't mine... yet. It's my buddy's second bike and I keep working on him to let me buy it to replace my wife's 1200 Sportster. I have a '15 Road Glide special that I essentially converted into an Ultra. There's really not much on it that is still stock. I absolutely love my bike :love: but that Rocker is VERY close in color to my FLTRXS and would be a fun second ride for me and around town bike for my wife. Funny thing is my buddy calls the Rocker "Sheila" and that is the same name my wife gave her bike. Destined to be in my garage! :cool:

Figuring out what's good info and what's bad info is just as difficult today as it was 100 years ago...……………...it's only the vehicle that is different, you're still dealing with human behavior. The internet can be a terrific tool for gathering useful info for decision making, and it can be a septic tank of mis-information and bias. It still takes study and discretion to garner what's useful and applicable to your situation/desires. Just to give an example away from the RT product so as to not let bias or argumentative points get in the way. When I read. for example, Amazon faq's and feedbacks, I have to throw half or so of them out because they are written by people who don't share my method of evaluation. Example: I was shopping for meat grinders awhile back. Most have aluminum feed assemblies that are not coated with any type of finish other than being polished. For food grade certification that's a easy and effective solution. Because it's bare metal, and a "soft" metal, the highly caustic components of dish washer detergents will damage the finish in one washing. With bare aluminum it turns an ugly and flakey black. In the description and owner's manuals it is clearly stated not to put those components in the dish washer. Yet if you read the faq's and feedbacks, inevitably there will be a question or a complaint about the outcome of running it through a dishwasher. Reading comprehension is not a universally distributed skill. Sadly, if you look closer there will be some number of people who click a positive to the "was this helpful" response. The previous sentence applies again.

Each of the examples of perceived "failures" of the RT product you've enumerated are likely real, at least to those who posted those examples. But by the same token, they are a minority experience that may or may not be applicable to your probable usage and/or future experience. If two or three actual users out of a hundred have a problem, is it really an overall design failure, or just an annoyance to those particular individuals style of life. And who do you align with from a standards position, the majority or the minority? Remember, humans are more likely to complain than praise......…...…..been that way for thousands (or more) of years.

@macabra11 first and foremost welcome to RecTecForum. I'm glad you've joined and I'm sure you will be too.

RecTecForum is a RecTec fan site, we all (or most) love our RecTec grills. That said we aren't affiliated with RecTec the company in any way, so you can bet you're going to get straight answers here as it's no skin off our backs if you buy one or not - though I'm sure after you read the replies here you'll most certainly want one. ;)

@Buckeye smoker pretty much hit the nail on the head. While the wheel mod is nice to have (I'm 6'1" and like a taller grill myself) the wheel mod is NOT needed. Sure it can be a little top heavy but paying attention when you move the grill and you'll be okay.

Further Rec Tec has recently made changes to the Rec Tec Bull's cart and it's a wider cart - so really any issue with the top heaviness should be mostly if not all resolve. So again the wheel mod isn't required.

In terms of the deflector - I really don't know how to address this myself. I've been using my RecTec Bull religiously nearly every weekend and at times during the week days for more than a year now. All at various temps from 225-500 (a lot of my cooks are in the 500 mark) and I've had ZERO issues with warping.

Obviously this isn't to say you won't have issues as clearly others have, but why I'm not so sure. There are those that do have the issues but many more that don't.

If you're still really really bothered by either of these issues then I would suggest looking at the Rec Tec comp cart and buying the upgraded deflector. I get not wanting to spend more money and while I'm not having issues with the deflector I am still very strongly considering buying one just for the added smoke I can get out of it.

In either case I believe you'll be making a great choice going with RecTec. Their customer support is unheard of and isn't replicated anywhere else that I've ever seen. The grills really are top notch and the controller is fantastic!

Which upgraded deflector are you referring to Mike? Does RT offer an upgraded deflector themselves? I was reading about the Don Godke’s Downdraft mod and it seems like a good way to help keep more smoke in the pit chamber.

You guys are right though. A lot of what bad reviews you read online is the minority that are having issues. And I know that RT customer service would take care of me if I did have a problem.

Honestly after reading all the rave reviews on RecTec, I was disappointed with the build quality on my Stampede. Nothing major but several minor flaws that together were inexcusable. Certainly not up to par with the quality you get in a propane grill at this price point. RecTec gave me a credit I felt was worth more than the hassle of shipping it back.

That said, this is my first pellet grill. The performance has been great, and all the stainless materials should ensure that it remains that way. It holds temps very well and easily gets up to 500+ degrees for grilling. To me, that's what's most important and what competing grills struggle with. If it grills well in the winter I'll be selling my propane grill. I also have a warped deflector but it isn't affecting anything. Would I buy it again? I should know the answer to that in 5 years or so. For now, I'm certain there are many here that have more experience with competitors, and suspect you'd probably need to double your budget to get a significantly better performing grill.

Which upgraded deflector are you referring to Mike? Does RT offer an upgraded deflector themselves? I was reading about the Don Godke’s Downdraft mod and it seems like a good way to help keep more smoke in the pit chamber.

You guys are right though. A lot of what bad reviews you read online is the minority that are having issues. And I know that RT customer service would take care of me if I did have a problem.

When I mention a deflector upgrade, I'm referring to the Heavy D deflector. Runs around $100, is extremely thick, and has two holding areas for logs or wood chucks which will produce even more smoke.

I've not heard of a single person warping this deflector.

Well after spending over an hour on the phone with Jaime at Rec Tec today, I pulled the trigger on a new Bull with folding front shelf! He was super helpful and patient and just affirmed that their employees may be their best asset, even over all that shiny, beautiful stainless steel. :love:

If the deflector warps, then that is what the warranty is for. Honestly I am a person who likes to tinker and modify things, so I'd be fooling myself if I said I wouldn't be modifying the grill anyways.

You will not be sorry you went with the 700! We just spent 2 weeks with our kids and grand daughter in Colorado and our son in law has a new Traeger that cost a couple of hundred dollars less the the 700. We smoked at least 6 times during that period so I had a chance to see the difference between the comparable Traeger and my 700! There was no comparison between the two! First of all the Traeger seemed to be cheaply built, the temp probe(it only has one) we discovered was 20 degrees off and the temperature variation was plus or minus 15 degrees! The cooking area was smaller then the 700, and their searing plates were not even close to the quality of Rec Tecs! The highest temp on the Traeger was around 450 while I routinely get 515 to 520 on my 700! My 700 came with the Roller Blade wheels and it easily moves around our deck even over the uneven parts! In my humble opinion after smoking on my son in laws Traeger there is no comparison with the Rec Tec. The Rec Tec wins hands down and the customer service is awesome! You definitely made the correct choice in choosing the Rec Tec! Happy Smoking!!!

Look I know it's a lot of money but let's face it, none of these things are life necessities they are toys! If your not comfortable spending this amount you'll always find a better deal elsewhere this is a good smoker. There are however many good smokers, I can speak for Rectec service and quality overall. The heat deflector of mine warped the first cook but has not made a bit of difference everybody loves my ribs and butts so who cares. "Somke'em if ya gott'em"

I can attest to the Rec Tec service, called them because I noticed one of my lid stops was bent slightly, just enough to visually see it when looking from one to the other. Rec Tec did not feel it would do anything to the lid but sent free replacements out anyway. I have had my Bull now since end of July and could't be more happier. I am looking to get a second cooker (propane or coal) just to have for big parties and in case we lose power (in Orlando we stick out in Hurricane Ally). I have a 36" GOSM propane now but looking to sell that to get something smaller.

I use my Bull every weekend and sometimes once during the week and do not have any issues with the heat deflector (so far), my guess if it hasn't warped yet it probably never will. I do not need the wheel mod as with the new leg stance it rolls around at my house fine and is not top heavy.

There is one thing I wish they would offer, Grilla Grills has an accessory kit that goes on the underside of the lid and front of the grill to capture drippings while cooking - I would purchase that to keep my front of the Bull clean while cooking.

I would also welcome a redesigned second shelf that slid in to the cooking area instead of sitting on the grates, but the one they sell does work.

Just cooked two large beer can chickens and a side of Wicked Beans last night and as usual they came out fantastic.

Good luck on your journey, I researched for over 6 months before finally making the purchase (the Rec Tec July 4 special helped me pull the trigger).

I actually have 3 freezers in my garage, but I use 2 of them for beer/brewing (one is converted into a kegerator and the other is for fermentation control).

Also, I just got off the phone with UPS. Delivery is scheduled for Thursday between 11-2pm! I've got a package of bacon I'll use as the first "seasoning" after the initial burn-in, but I'm not sure what I'll do as my first cook. Perhaps some smoked chickens...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back