Bull Checking Temp on New RT-700

Justdrew424

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I’ve had my bull about a week now. Everything I have cooked using the guidelines established has taken a whole lot longer than anticipated. For my first cook I did chicken legs and they took longer than expected. I tried some baby backs using 3-2-1 and after the 6 hours they just weren’t done and tender enough. I tried some frozen pizzas directly on the rack and they took 20 minutes longer than the package directions. I mixed up some brownies and threw the pan in and they took almost 30 minutes longer than called for.

Can I use the meat probes to check the temp of the grill? I have read of a few users getting grills that are running about 25 degrees low. I only have the meat probes that came with the bull and 1 other meat probe to check temps.

Thanks
Drew

Check out this video:

You could use the RT meat probes, but I'd suggest checking them for accuracy first. The usual method is an ice water bath, to check for temp around 32F. See this page for advice on that.

Here's a video on calibrating the meat probes:

If you have another thermometer which you already trust to be accurate, it's a good idea to use that for comparison.

Hi Just Drew. You're asking the perfect question. It just so happens that I already owned more than one third party thermometers when I purchased my Bull in December and--quite honestly--I've come to use those as my gauge rather than relying on various cookers' readings. My Bull is not the first and only cooker whose reported temps is inaccurate; I feel it was off by ~25*f on lower temps and, so, I made an offset adjustment. While I feel this adjustment is appropriate at lower temps, I believe at higher temps the offset adjustment results in an overshoot. This doesn't bother me, though; I appreciate that my smokers and grills require a little bit of human intervention and skill. Good luck!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew550
Back