Cast net......

Flyjunkie

This is a question not related to anything barbaque-y. The wife and I are going to the Tampa Bay area on vacation soon. Specifically the Maderia Beach/St. Johns Pass. Ive been saltwater fishing many times before but have never learned how to throw a cast net. Im talking about maybe an 8 footer or so. It looks relatively easy based on many you tube videos but I know nothing is better than hands on experience. I'd like to fish the bridge area of the pass as well as the beach north of it. I'll be bring my own gear (a very limited amount) but I know live bait is generally the best. Any insight from you guys?

I used a cast net for many years in the Biloxi, Ms. gulf coast. If you are casting off a bridge, it is a good idea to know how deep the water is and start retrieving the net before it hits bottom. This will help prevent tearing up the net on rocks or debris.

A monofilament net with lead weighted bottom is best for shrimp and a cotton line net with a chain weighted bottom is better for mullet and other fish and shrimp. The mesh size is usually larger for mullet nets.

Another tip is to sprinkle some dry cat food in the water where you are casting. Let sit for 5 minutes or so and this will bring in more shrimp.

Last edited:
"Another tip is to sprinkle some dry cat food in the water where you are casting. Let sit for 5 minutes or so and this will bring in more shrimp".
You'd be doin' a five spot in the graybar hotel up here in warshington state if'n you did sumtin' like that.......:eek::ROFLMAO:

You'd be doin' a five spot in the graybar hotel up here in warshington state if'n you did sumtin' like that.......:eek::ROFLMAO:
Did this for years on the Gulf coast. Florida, Mississippi, and Louisiana. There was never any laws against it back then, 1970s - 1990s. But you didn't even have to have a fishing license to fish in the gulf back then either. Any way the government can get their grubby hands in your pockets, they will.

Had a friend that threw a net off of a bridge in FL.
A manatee swam through pulling him into the railing.
One broken wrist and broken ribs later he had a great story to tell.

As they say, Bad choices make great stories .

Did this for years on the Gulf coast. Florida, Mississippi, and Louisiana. There was never any laws against it back then, 1970s - 1990s. But you didn't even have to have a fishing license to fish in the gulf back then either. Any way the government can get their grubby hands in your pockets, they will.
Yep, wasn't criticizing you. It's just that bad around here.

I have a favorite river that I love to fish for fall salmon. Two years ago, I made the mistake of buying a fishing license before checking the regs. Yep, got/paid for the license then thought (at the last minute) to check the regs before I threw my line in the water. Yep, closed to all fishing.

Wasn't going to make the same mistake two years in a row. Checked the regs and my favorite river is listed as being open for salmon fishing. So, I go buy my license. The salmon season is supposed to be about 10 weeks long. They closed it after 2 weeks.......

Not a big fan of WSDFW.

Bad choices do make excellent stories! The main reason for the cast net is simply bait. I know what sometimes happens when you free line a mullet/herring/porgy/whiting along a bridge trestle or other obvious structure. My thinking is that a cast net will cost my about $35 and buying bait on a daily basis will easily double that. I do plan on fishing a bit every day we are there. I don't plan on keeping anything, just catch, picture and release. at the end of the trip I'll try to resell the cast net to a local for $5 or something. I'll post pictures if you guys are interested.

My mom lives in st pete so i go there a good bit. The jetty on the south side of blind pass is a great place for the family to chill and swim because it has a jetty on both sides of the swimming area. The jetty on the pass is a popular spot to fish but is also a great place to catch bait fish for shark fishing. I typically use a double hook rig with #4 hooks and a sinker in the bottom tipped with a small piece of orange and white fishbites and a small piece of shrimp. You will catch bait as fast as blue gill fishing in freshwater. The extreme tip of that jetty typically holds several large baracudas also, you can wade out there if the tides not to high. The best bait shop in the area is Dog Fish tackle. They will have any bait you need aswell as all the high end tackle i enjoy looking as (avet, van stalls) my budget is penn. moving south a few miles is pass a grill channel. You can park for free on the back side of the channel and sling baits to deep water easily there or fish the bay/gulf side on the beach or jetty there. Also Fort desoto is a park that cost a few dollars to enter but has plenty of fishing opportunities aswell as a pier that doesn’t require fishing license to fish if its more of a casual trip that fishing is not a real priority. If you have some heavy tackle penn senator 4/0 or bigger or a stout spinning reel like a 8000 and up. you can go fish the sky way pier for goliath grouper. Its the worlds longest pier. Have fun and practice with your net in advance.
31813924-335B-4F96-A519-73A661043D3B.png
42A50056-A371-4F71-820C-350AC6E211EE.png
013BBAE3-7163-4ACD-83AF-B7379627645A.png

Last edited:
Hello guys, I’ve returned from vacation. I busted out on the fishing part. Our rental car was never authorized for me to use. However I talked with all the other guys who were fishing from the beach. No one was catching a thing. I salvaged the vacation by simply enjoying the weather and views. Thank you for the detailed info on locations for fishing Chad in SC. Regardless of the lack of fishing, we swam in the Gulf, saw dolphins almost every day. Awesome sunsets.

IMG_5980.jpeg

IMG_5982.jpeg

IMG_5992.jpeg

IMG_6001.jpeg

IMG_6004.jpeg

IMG_6046.jpeg

Nice trip! Dolphins are so abundant in the Low Country. What’s really wild to watch is 3-4 of them at a time will surf off of the wake from the bow of cargo ships entering Charleston Harbor! Later this month we are going down to Harbor Island in the Beaufort area for a 6-day vacation to celebrate my wife’s (Halloween) birthday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back