Bull Can't Smoke Ribs; Science Doesn't Work Anymore

Fractal

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Here's my setup: I calibrated my ThermoWorks leave in probe thermometers & Ready Q BBQ probe thermometers using the ice water and boiling water methods. They were both within .5 to 1 degree. They also had fresh batteries. I then set the RT-700 to 225 degrees and placed the RT-700 probes in clips on the grates to obtain air measurements. I then compared the RT-700 readings to my ThermoWorks & Ready Q readings. They were within 1 - 2 degrees so I was happy.

I dry rubbed 3 baby back ribs and left them overnight in the fridge on a sheet pan covered in plastic wrap.

The next morning I brought the RT-700 up to 225 degrees. I placed the ribs and sprayed them with 50/50 apple cider vinegar and beer at hour 3.

At hour 4 they should have been done, but weren't. Same at hour 5. Same at hour 6. Same at hour 7. Same at hour 8.

This whole time all thermometers were in sync at 225 degrees.

Previously I used a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. I'd prepare and cook the ribs the same way as above. The ThermoWorks & Ready Q were also deployed to monitor temps.

Those ribs would be done around 4 to 4.5 hours.

I don't want to wrap because I haven't had to wrap before.

In my mind, temperature is temperature. Molecules are either vibrating with a measured specific level or they aren't.

So what am I missing?

Yep. Same exact experience here. Advice was to just adjust my cooking times and have patience and go longer or up the temp a little.

Did you put the ribs in the smoker from the fridge, or did you let them set out a bit?

I usually leave mine out on the counter for 20-30 minutes before smoking.

As you mentioned, baby backs are normally done in about 5 hours, but it's not uncommon for them to take longer than that. Depends on the animal, how much meat is on them, ambient temps, etc. If your grill and thermo's were all in sync, I'd say it's probably factors outside your control. (animal, ambients, etc.).

I've some folks say it took 8 hours, but they wanted them falling off the bone.

I prefer the 321 method myself, as it is pretty predictable, but I sometimes do a 3, 1.5, 1.5.

I have been having a similar problem once in my 680 and once on my Weber Performer when I wanted to try another cooker. I have my Smoke checking cooking temp (235-240) along with my extra probe for the 680 and even a new oven gauge. It seems like the ribs are taking a long time to cook. Very little pullback at the 2.5-3 hour mark. Wrapped and upped the temp to 265 for 1.5 hours and still very little pullback and the ribs were not very tender. This last rack we ate a few but the next day I wrapped in foil and pit in the oven at 310 for 2 hours, then I finally had pullback and they were tender. I know each rack, brisket or pork butt cooks differently but it is like something is going on with the ribs.

I saw something on the news about a meat shortage, but I thought it was only chicken. I have to wonder if they are using animals that they normally wouldn't.

As far as I know, the USDA only rates pork as Acceptable or Unacceptable, while beef is rated as select, choice and prime.

Did you guys buy Smithfield or some other brand or unnamed product?

One of mine was Smithfield while the other was from Creekstone. I will say that both racks had a little more fat than usual for a St. Louis cut.

I made baby back ribs a couple weeks ago using a modified 3-2-1 method.
I smoked them at 225° for 3 hours spraying with apple juice/apple cider vinegar mix. After 3 hours I wrapped them (with brown sugar and butter) and smoked for another hour then unwrapped and smoked for 1 more hour. They were perfect, I've also used the 3-2-1 and they came out great.

When you say they weren't done, were they still undercooked?

the older i get the less i try to stress about things
most of the food i smoke first goes for a family meal then leftovers for lunch and gifts to friends
i start early and don't have a finish time in mind
my wife understands
some cooks take 50% more time than others
some meats taste much better and some much worse using time tested methods
allows me to sip more wine and smile about some good things going on
i like a good challenge and learning new things and learning by my mistakes
smoked some drumsticks using a new method yesterday
meat was perfect skin was inedible
i'll figure it about about ten steps down the road
two $0.99 per pound butts a i did lat weekend were wonderful and finished early - no idea why
the twenty sandwiches with homemade mustard sauce i shared at work were very well received
bottom - less stress - more try and error - more smiles

Here's our Pork Rib "cheatsheet"
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUSESMISC INFO
Pork RibsU-3.5hrs@210+0.5hr@275 - W-1.0hr@2755+/- hours200 - 210GPS Blend for 24 hrs Spray/15 mins@3 hrsWrap in Foil after 4 hours rest 15 mins
Smoker at 210 Ribs unwrapped
At the 3 hour mark, start the spraying every 15 mins
At 4.5 hours crank the Bull up to 275 and smoke for another half hour, unwrapped
That takes you to the 5 hour mark (been spritzed 4 times by then)
Spray them once more and wrap them in Alm Foil,
Back in at 275 for 1 hour or until the Ribs reach 200 - 210 internal
Let them rest for no less than 15 mins

Our Spare Ribs and Homemade Purple Slaw.jpg

Last edited:
I've noticed there is a prominent strap of silverskin lengthwise on my last few babybacks that I never saw in the past. I should have trimmed it off, but was just lazy and let it go. Maybe more connective tissue is cooling the meat as it renders?

But this stirs an old memory of an old jingle...."if you've got the time, we've got the beer"

I have a similar experience when doing pork shoulder on my recteq. It took 14 hours for a 6.5 lb bone in shoulder last weekend.It took me 12 hours for a 5lb one a couple weeks before. Seems a bit long. I do baby back ribs with Raichlen's modified 2-1-1 method and they come out great, though.

"At hour four they should have been done"! Wrong! Like children, no two racks of baby backs are identical. So assuming they will all be done in four hours is flawed logic. BBQ is done when it is done. Not when the clock says it should be done. I've had some done at 4 hours but most are in the 5-6 hour range at 225 uncovered the entire cook. They only come off the smoker after the bend test says they are done. Understand that and smoking is much less stressful. "It ain't done until it's done". This rack clocked in at 5.75 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_2511.JPG
    IMG_2511.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2512.JPG
    IMG_2512.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 88
At hour 4 they should have been done, but weren't. Same at hour 5. Same at hour 6. Same at hour 7. Same at hour 8.

How do you know they weren't done? Did you probe the ribs or do a visual test? I usually smoke baby backs at 225, and they have always taken around 5.5 hours. When probed, they will be 205-210. Let us know how you tested this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back